Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please recommend some good foreign DVD's,pleasee : >

I'm looking for something ala David Lynch/Coen brother's or Quentin T type of flicks. Anything that you consider a really good or great flick.

Thanks so much : >

Blue

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Raise the Red Lantern

Farewell, My Concubine

Xiu Xiu

Tempress Moon

Shanghai Triad

The Joy Luck Club

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman

The Scent of Green Papaya

Vertical Ray of the Sun

La Vie En Rose

Potelle (sp?)

None of those are of the type you indicated, they are all dramas, some of them brutally emotional, intense dramas. "301,302" is a quirky, strange one. If you want something that might fall roughly into the David Lynch genre, maybe try "Tokoyo Decadence" :)

Some that are US made, but basically are foreign flicks:

Mystery Train

Ghandi

Oh, and one that Tarantino produced, is "Chungking Express", which is a pretty cool flick that I really liked a lot. Its kind of quirky and strange, which I like. It was directed by Wong Kar-wai. I've not seen the DVD, I just watched the VHS a good while ago, so I can't say how the DVD quality is.

But, now that I'm remembering it, I'm going to go ahead and order it. I just looked and its coming out on 5/21 in an anamorphic transfer, so I preordered it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Les Rivieres Pourpres (Jean Reno). It is called Crimson Rivers in the US and Canada.

Really good movie with awesome sound.

Goverias

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The Criterion version of The Seven Samurai is an excellently restored presentation of the film, plus some pretty deep discussion of the film and its history and background. Its a pretty long film, but well worth a watch, particularly given how many other films ended up being just a reworking of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.