AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please remind me how to help with lip sync problems on the 905? I see the video first, then I hear it; so the audio is lagging behind the video.

I have the HDMI lip sync set to disable and the delay set to 0ms, but still have a slight problem.

Do I set just the center speaker to 30 ft.? How about the rest of the front speakers? Should I leave them to their actual distance? (The two mains and subs are on the same plane as the center speaker). Do I also set them to 30 ft. or 0 ft or the correct distance?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Do you see this on ALL sources? Personally I have never experienced severe problems with my 805 other than on bad HD cable feeds.

All my components are 1.3 so I do enable LipSync, but this is nothing magical. All it does is read the video processing time of the display in its EDID data and sets the Audio Delay to that time. With that being said I have mine enabled but then set it to the smallest value. It seems to give me the reliable results.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/17032258

Do you see this on ALL sources? Personally I have never experienced severe problems with my 805 other than on bad HD cable feeds.

All my components are 1.3 so I do enable LipSync, but this is nothing magical. All it does is read the video processing time of the display in its EDID data and sets the Audio Delay to that time. With that being said I have mine enabled but then set it to the smallest value. It seems to give me the reliable results.

No, not all sources all the time. I do notice it on different sources, but not consistently. But remember I am experiencing the audio lagging the video, so enabling the HDMI Lip Sync mode would make the lag worse.

As a work around can I set the center speaker to 30 ft.? Shouldn't this speed up the audio a little? How about the rest of the front speakers? Should I leave them to their actual distance? (The two mains and subs are on the same plane as the center speaker; 8ft. from listening position).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 /forum/post/17032566

No, not all sources all the time. I do notice it on different sources, but not consistently. But remember I am experiencing the audio lagging the video, so enabling the HDMI Lip Sync mode would make the lag worse.

As a work around can I set the center speaker to 30 ft.? Shouldn't this speed up the audio a little? How about the rest of the front speakers? Should I leave them to their actual distance? (The two mains and subs are on the same plane as the center speaker; 8ft. from listening position).

I am not convinced that the speaker distance trick works. Remember that for your Audyssey settings to be valid you have to modify all speaker distances so you don't mess up the Audyssey FIR settings.

Ex.

assuming your farthest speaker is the center at 15ft

FR - 12ft (-3ft from center)

FL- 12ft (-3ft from center)

SR- 6ft (-9ft from center)

SL- 6ft (-9ft from center)

SBR-5ft (-10ft from center)

SBL-5ft (-10ft from center)

Everything has to be set in relation to the farthest speaker. So if you set your center to 30ft you would have to adjust the rest of the channels to keep your distance from the reference speaker(the center in this case) the same

FR- 27ft

FL- 27ft

SR- 21ft

SL- 21ft

SBR- 20ft

SBL- 20ft

I am not convinced the channel delay setting fixes anything.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/17034863

I am not convinced that the speaker distance trick works. Remember that for your Audyssey settings to be valid you have to modify all speaker distances so you don't mess up the Audyssey FIR settings.

Ex.

Everything has to be set in relation to the farthest speaker. So if you set your center to 30ft you would have to adjust the rest of the channels to keep your distance from the reference speaker(the center in this case) the same

FR- 27ft

FL- 27ft

SR- 21ft

SL- 21ft

SBR- 20ft

SBL- 20ft

Thank you! So in your example, when the Center Speaker is set to 30ft. you are adding 15ft to all the other speakers to keep the correct relationship with each other. Yes?

Why do you think this does not help?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/17034863

Ex.

FR- 27ft

FL- 27ft

SR- 21ft

SL- 21ft

SBR- 20ft

SBL- 20ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 /forum/post/17035542

Thank you! So in your example, when the Center Speaker is set to 30ft. you are adding 15ft to all the other speakers to keep the correct relationship with each other. Yes?

Why do you think this does not help?

I thought that was the reason for distance to speakers were entered, to adjust the delay so the sound reaches the listener at the same time. Do you agree?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.