Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. thanks so much for existing!!!

I have a Sony VGC-ra930g

Intel pentium 4 cpu 3.4ghz

Maxed out 2.00 GB of ram

Windows 7

ATI Radeon® X800XT

(256MB Video Memory)

Is this able to be an adaquate Media Server? I want to store all media.. and set up another tv in another room with rf remote solution to run Media portal

Also i want to set up another media pc for living room and bedroom tvs and access all media stored off of the above Vaio if it qualifies.

Is this enough video ram for HD streaming/ playback... i have noticed some recent h264 movies i tried did not play smoothly so i dont know if i can upgrade my video to discrete better card?? Is this worth doing to this older pc?

Or am i wasting my time even considering using this in any way in a whole home cheaply setup media sharing system....??

Thanks so much for any and all imput... im really lost as to qualifying my pc as worthy to do anything... thanks!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Video card means squat on a server since the client machine will be doing the decoding live on it's end, the server is simply for hosting the files and there really are very few systems still running that are too slow for a server.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... so i can definitely use it as a server.. i guess the only weak point would be the 10/100 ethernet that it has. How many Hd streams can a 10/100 run?

Can i use this pc as an acceptable media portal client or server pc? It has two dvi outs.. so i was hoping to hook both to two tvs((two different rooms with capable remote setup) and use them to play media and hd content.. is the video card i have ATI Radeon x800xt just to old to play hd content.. i tried some h264 content the other day and it was stuttering... but i do need to do a clean install again.....but i guess that is my answer..

Is it worth upgrading the video card? and to what? i would like to install Mediaportal and have hiccup free performance if possible... Or do i need to start with new computer although i would like to avoid the cost... lol

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
For 7MC and Media Portal that should be enough, so long as you upgrade the video card, just make sure there is little to nothing else running in the background.

Personally, I would up it to 4GB of ram, but that's a personal preference, many others will say it's not necessary, but I think my system feels snappier with 4GB so I reccomend it.

For Video card, if you're ONLY going to be playing high def, 720P or 1080P content the ATi HD5450 is fast enough. If you're going to be playing any 1080i content(most HD TV channels OTA and cable) then I would reccomend the 5570 or 5670, the 5570 is plenty fast enough, but the 5670 is only $10 more.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Okay, sorry for getting off topic, but why would you need a more powerful vid card to do 1080i when it's considered inferior to 1080p? I'm sure it has something to do with pulldown ratio's and all that, but I'm curious as to the finer points.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18144294

For Video card, if you're ONLY going to be playing high def, 720P or 1080P content the ATi HD5450 is fast enough. If you're going to be playing any 1080i content(most HD TV channels OTA and cable) then I would reccomend the 5570 or 5670, the 5570 is plenty fast enough, but the 5670 is only $10 more.

I have a question regarding 1080i content, hopefully someone can clarify.

I understand the issues with the processing needed to do VAD on the card (and my understanding is that the 5450 *is* fast enough, as long as not much else is enabled). However, what if one wanted to use the video processing in the AVR, display, or some other out-board gear.

Can the 5450 output the native interlaced signal (for example OTA through 7MC) to a downstream device for processing?

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/18144331

Okay, sorry for getting off topic, but why would you need a more powerful vid card to do 1080i when it's considered inferior to 1080p? I'm sure it has something to do with pulldown ratio's and all that, but I'm curious as to the finer points.

It takes more processing to decode and de-interlace 1080i to progressive scan than it does to simply decode 1080p. It takes even more to de-interlace well. Search on Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing and you can read until your brain melts.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know of no way for a PC to output an interlaced signal, nor would you want to quite frankly. IMHO, all audio issues aside, the HD5XXX series can do as good a job, if not a better one, with PQ than most AVRs on the market, obviously no including ones that cost obscene amounts of money.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/18144331

Vector Adaptive De-interlacing. Both cards can do it, but on the 5450 it can do nothing else, while the 5570 can do it and more to help ensure the best image quality available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.