AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $1000 to spend on speakers to match my new Sony STR-DG1000 7.1 HDMI switching receiver.

I currently have a mixed set that is 10 years old and was built up in pieces:

Cerwin Vega AT-12 front

Polk CS-200 center

Pioneer SR-55 rear (don't laugh they were nearly free)

I know I should have bought speakers first, but I got an unbelieveable deal for a decent receiver ($460 total). Can anyone suggest a decent match to at least get a 5.1 system for around $700 to $1000?

Thanks very much...

I have seen ads online for Premier Acoustic, BIC Acoustec for that price range. I have been to some stores but each store might only have 1 or 2 systems to choose from - very little selection.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The couch is about 11' from the TV, and about 3' from the back wall. One side of the room is open, and the other side has a full wall. I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffisher /forum/post/0

The couch is about 11' from the TV, and about 3' from the back wall. One side of the room is open, and the other side has a full wall. I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again.

What's the approximate dimensions of your room? And about how much LFE / bass impact / volume are you wanting?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And as I said, walls on 3 sides, open to the right. The receiver is 120W/channel, but I'm not looking to blow windows out of my house. Excuse my naivte, but I simply don't know a lot about audio; I'm more of a video guy... I'm doing as much reading as I can...

As far as bass, I'm not the type of person that likes overwhelming bass. I also don't have the greatest ear in the world and won't be overly picky.

Just looking for a decent set of speakers to match the receiver. I'm having trouble trying to find people online that have bought this receiver and have been able to find a matching set of speakers.

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to read this...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So should I give up on keeping the Cerwin Vega AT-12 I have as fronts? Hey, they sounds great and there is nothing wrong with them, but maybe they aren't good for home theater, or so says some dude in BB. I don't know why. Can someone explain?

The AV123 you mentioned - I had never heard of them. Do the speakers plug directly into the sub instead of to the receiver (like Bose does)? I was trying to avoid that since then you can't expand the system to 7.1. Also, it would be great to see/hear these things before I order them, - are they carried in stores?

Again, selection is so poor in Best Buy, Circuit City, 6th Ave... it's tough for a noob in audio.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

So should I give up on keeping the Cerwin Vega AT-12 I have as fronts? Hey, they sounds great and there is nothing wrong with them, but maybe they aren't good for home theater, or so says some dude in BB. I don't know why. Can someone explain?

The AV123 you mentioned - I had never heard of them. Do the speakers plug directly into the sub instead of to the receiver (like Bose does)? I was trying to avoid that since then you can't expand the system to 7.1. Also, it would be great to see/hear these things before I order them, - are they carried in stores?

Again, selection is so poor in Best Buy, Circuit City, 6th Ave... it's tough for a noob in audio.

Thanks

One option not to over look is keeping your mains since you like them, buy a Cerwin Vega center and rears that are meant to be played with your mains and then buy a sub with the money left over.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If you want gobs of output, go with klipsch, they will (figuratively) blow the windows out of your house. Unfortunately, your reciever really doesnt deliver much power, nowhere near 120wpc. The problem is that you are getting about as much power as an Onkyo 674 or a harman hardon avr 245, which comes to about 50-75wpc. Now, in many cases this is very sufficient, it will just start to clip before you blow your windows out. I would recommend getting some klipsh or BIC acoustech speakers, it sounds like you arent super picky about sound, so getting some higher quality, lower efficiency speakers may not be the best idea when you can still get pretty decent sound that goes considerably louder for the same price. You could get the BIC Acoustech home theater from overstock.com and be set with sound that would be much better quality than those cerwins and still VERY loud.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/0

If you want gobs of output, go with klipsch, they will (figuratively) blow the windows out of your house. Unfortunately, your reciever really doesnt deliver much power, nowhere near 120wpc. The problem is that you are getting about as much power as an Onkyo 674 or a harman hardon avr 245, which comes to about 50-75wpc. Now, in many cases this is very sufficient, it will just start to clip before you blow your windows out. I would recommend getting some klipsh or BIC acoustech speakers, it sounds like you arent super picky about sound, so getting some higher quality, lower efficiency speakers may not be the best idea when you can still get pretty decent sound that goes considerably louder for the same price. You could get the BIC Acoustech home theater from overstock.com and be set with sound that would be much better quality than those cerwins and still VERY loud.

It's as if you posted this without regard to the OP's stated preferences. I'm not questioning or commenting on the accuracy of anything you posted. But given what the OP posted, at what point does it make sense to suggest a louder system?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to CC and BB today... Listened to Boston Acoustics, Definitive, and Mirage... The BB guy seemed rather knowledgeable and was pushing the Definitive promon1000 for sides and rear. Any comments on those?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

I went to CC and BB today... Listened to Boston Acoustics, Definitive, and Mirage... The BB guy seemed rather knowledgeable and was pushing the Definitive promon1000 for sides and rear. Any comments on those?

First what matters most is how well you liked those deftechs at BB. If you instead want a system that IMO most folks will agree will sound better than what can be bought at BB, then there are better options, the x-series system I suggested earlier being one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.