AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting all my CDs to some format of "lossless" files. I need a good media player which I will be connecting to my Sony 9000ES prepro. Are the netgear or Western Digital players any good?

Any help regarding file conversion formats will also be appreciated. I looked online for help but all I could find was software for pc.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20789407

I am in the process of converting all my CDs to some format of "lossless" files. I need a good media player which I will be connecting to my Sony 9000ES prepro. Are the netgear or Western Digital players any good?

Any help regarding file conversion formats will also be appreciated. I looked online for help but all I could find was software for pc.

By media, are you referring only to music? No home video, digital pictures, DVD movies, Blu-ray movies? Will you be including DVD-Audio or SACD media as well? Hi-res downloads? What is your budget and how good of quality do you require? Will you want it to act like a jukebox with coverart or just browse files? Do you want it to have its own screen or use a tv for navigation? Does your Pre/Pro have HDMI inputs or only analog? Will you be storing your files on a usb memory flash drive, connected hard drive or network attached device?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/20789424

By media, are you referring only to music? No home video, digital pictures, DVD movies, Blu-ray movies? Will you be including DVD-Audio or SACD media as well? Hi-res downloads? What is your budget and how good of quality do you require? Will you want it to act like a jukebox with coverart or just browse files? Do you want it to have its own screen or use a tv for navigation? Does your Pre/Pro have HDMI inputs or only analog? Will you be storing your files on a usb memory flash drive, connected hard drive or network attached device?

Whoa!

Thanks for replying to my post. Lots to think about there but I already have a Samsung BD player that acts as my entertainment center for watching Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, etc. The BD pretty much does everything but ONLY plays MP3s and lossy WMA.

As far as quality goes, I used to listen to mainly CDs from my Denon CD player so anything comparable should do just fine.

I will not be including DVD-A or SACD, no hi-res downloads either. I am simply looking at a decent player to attach my HDD which is currently storing most of music collection is WAV format. My Prepro does not have HDMI and therefore I will look to connecting via Optical/CoAx digital.

I just need a good player that can simply "passthrough" the audio to my Sony prepro and let the Sony take it from there.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20789663

Whoa!

Thanks for replying to my post. Lots to think about there but I already have a Samsung BD player that acts as my entertainment center for watching Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, etc. The BD pretty much does everything but ONLY plays MP3s and lossy WMA.

As far as quality goes, I used to listen to mainly CDs from my Denon CD player so anything comparable should do just fine.

I will not be including DVD-A or SACD, no hi-res downloads either. I am simply looking at a decent player to attach my HDD which is currently storing most of music collection is WAV format. My Prepro does not have HDMI and therefore I will look to connecting via Optical/CoAx digital.

I just need a good player that can simply "passthrough" the audio to my Sony prepro and let the Sony take it from there.

So, you are NOT looking for a media player, just an audio streamer. I would post your question in the proper forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20789407

Use dbPoweramp to rip you albums to FLAC. The AccurateRip feature ensures your rips are all perfect. They also do a great job of getting metadata from various web sources (AMG etc.) http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

There are various DLNA servers out that, including one from the dbPoweramp guys that is very good (Asset UPnP), but I have found that DLNA just doesn't cut it.

For playback I recommend a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. It has 96 kHz 24-bit analog outputs (so you can rip your DVD-Audio discs or download from HDTracks.com) as well as SPDIF optical and coax. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speake...s/devices/5745

Highly recommended.

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent
Use dbPoweramp to rip you albums to FLAC. The AccurateRip feature ensures your rips are all perfect. They also do a great job of getting metadata from various web sources (AMG etc.) http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

There are various DLNA servers out that, including one from the dbPoweramp guys that is very good (Asset UPnP), but I have found that DLNA just doesn't cut it.

For playback I recommend a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. It has 96 kHz 24-bit analog outputs (so you can rip your DVD-Audio discs or download from HDTracks.com) as well as SPDIF optical and coax. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speake...s/devices/5745

Highly recommended.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I have been using "free audio converter" to convert my wav to 48Hz FLAC but I will definitely be trying your link out.

Also, the logitech is a little to rich for me right now but thanks for suggesting it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at Fry's for some memory yesterday and was strolling by and found the Netgear EVA9100 on clearance for $55 and decided to buy it. Connected my drive to it and it seems to be playing everything I am throwing at it.

The sound quality is pretty darn good. Think this is a keeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts