AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History: Currently have Infocus 7205, needs bulb, and has vertical lines. Looking to go to 1080p.

Requirements: 1080p, or very cheap 720p (I saw some people getting HD65s open box for like $360?). I like the sharpness of DLP, only saw rainbows on my 7205 when I tried to, but would consider LCD. Needs minimal offset or vertical lens shift (lens must be mounted even with the top of the screen). Long throw (119" screen at 18').

Budget: I would like to stay really close to $1000, but I don't think that will be possible, so I might have to stretch to $2000.

Intangibles: I do like Frame interpolation...if I'm going to increase my budget, I would consider that.

Contenders: Vivitek H1080FD, BenQ W1000, Mitsu HC3800 are all out due to the offset, and short throw. Optoma HD20 has too short of a throw.

I think that leaves me with the Panasonic PT-AE4000, or a JVC RS10 (Jason mentioned in another thread that he has some A stock in the same price range).

Can anyone comment on these two, or hopefully suggest another option in the $1000 range that will work in my setup?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Both the ae4000u and the RS10 are good units, but each has their different strengths. The Panasonic is a very feature-rich projector with everything you want, plus adds lens memory (if you have any interest in using it with 2.35:1 material). I have its predecessor, the ae3000u, and before that I had an ae1000u. Both provide a very pleasing, cinematic picture. It's primary weaknesses are color vs. brightness, i.e. to get accurate colors you sacrifice a bit of brightness, and it doesn't have the greatest blacks.

On the other hand, the RS10 has great blacks, which provides more "punch" with a better real-world contrast ratio. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but JVC produces arguably some of the best projectors in their price ranges.

I'm upgrading my ae3000u to an Anthem LTX500 (a JVC HD750 clone) primarily because my Pioneer Elite 151 60" plasma has spoiled me immensely on the benefits of having the deepest blacks possible. I'll miss the lens memory (using it with a Carada Criterion BW 136" 2.35:1 screen), but decided the picture quality gains makes it worth the extra 30 seconds to manually do the poor-man's anamorphic technique (until I build up the funds again to get a lens).

Art at projectorreviews.com does a great job of reviewing and comparing projectors, so you might want to peruse his website.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice schroedk. I think right now I am leaning towards the Panasonic...unless I am able to find something that will meet my requirements closer to the $1000 price point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should consider the Viewsonic Pro8100. Lots of information in the above $3,000 forum. Currently available for slightly over $1K.

Cheers!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts