AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bar/TV viewing area measuring 900 sq ft. Front have is the TV area, back half is the Bar area.

Speaker setup is Speakercraft MT6 for FL and FR (wall), AIM LCR3 One for Center (wall), AIM8 Ones (ceiling) for RL and RR. In the back by the bar, I'll most likely install 2 CRS8 speakers in the ceiling purely for music.

I assume I need a sub, any suggestions? I would prefer an in wall for a nice clean look. So if possible, any suggestions for both in wall and standing? Looking to stay under $200, perhaps up to $250. And would I need an amp for this sub or will the AV receiver provide enough power?

This noob says thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I plan on using my TX-SR606 Onkyo receiver from my family room and will buy something cheap for up there. This receiver will allow me the two zones (bar and TV area), not sure if it has any shortcomings so feel free to point them out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Your reciever has a pre-out to the subwoofer. You simply use that output into the subwoofer. The BIC F12 is a powered sub for example and has a powered amp built in and you just run the subwoofer cable from the receiver to the sub. For less than $200 it is a good sub. It looks like you have a large space to fill and may not be blown away at performance of inwalls paired with a

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 and Lava LSP12. Check the respective threads for how to get the best price. If one sub is not sufficient to give you suitable bass (the likely situation), then you can purchase a second sub later.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes definitely get a sub. I am always getting something new so I tend to tell people to take it the distance as I always want more more more. Get what you can now and if you want more in the future you can always move or sell the old one to upgrade. My thing with inwalls if you decide you want more or different, you have holes in your wall. A standalone sub will for sure complement some inwall speakers that won't produce much bass and sub can easily be switched out if you get as carried away as most here and want more. Sub placement is very important to get spl and frequency response (boundary gain...). You may find in a large area that a nearfield placement is best for sub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wondering if anybody else has heard of that sub in the above post. I'm leaning toward 2 Dayton subs to total about $300. But the one above is clean, but only 4 reviews. I'm just wondering if it provides enough bass by itself to be noticeable.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

Are you planning on doing the inwall installation yourself or were you going to pay someone else to do it? The reason I ask is that another alternative might be to get a low-profile, skinny-shaped powered sub that you can tuck out of sight somewhere -- under furniture, behind the bar, etc. The sub itself might cost more, but you'd save on installation expense and hassle. Just a thought....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19656701

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 and Lava LSP12. Check the respective threads for how to get the best price. If one sub is not sufficient to give you suitable bass (the likely situation), then you can purchase a second sub later.

I like these choices at $300. That inwall would be something I would consider for a small bedroom and for a clean look. Inwall 10" 100 watt not going to put out a lot in over 6300 cu ft (if you have 7 foot ceiling). If the decision is clean look or no sub. Get the inwall. If it is best sound and output, get what is recommended best for what money you have to spend in that large area. Anything is better than nothing, but the money can be spent on bang for buck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts