AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very happy owner of a DENON AVR-3312 here.

I think (but please correct me with your expertise) that my current set of speakers is not able to get the most of it.

Current setup is:

2 Front bookshelf Paradigm Monitor v.6

2 Back bookshelf Paradigm Atom v.5

1 Center paradigm CC-190

1 Velodyne subwoower PDR-12

Since I generally listen in 5-CHANNEL STEREO mode, I am seriosuly considering to switch to a 4.1 system of higher quality, leaving out a costly center channel which I hardly justify.

I am considering a double set of Paradigm Studio 10 for this purpose. I was told today by a seller that Paradigm studio would be possibly "too lively" for the already lively sound of my Denon AVR. He suggests QUAD 11L2 (same price as Paradigm Studio 10). What do you guys think?

The idea to have a warmer sound entices me a lot. I just would like to hear more opinions.

Other considerations:

Budget: about 2000$, not written in stone though

Room size: 30 x 20 ft - Lot of furniture

Music listened: Jazz, Electronica, World (i.e. flamenco guitar, modern tangos, arabic oud, etc...)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispoli /forum/post/0

Very happy owner of a DENON AVR-3312 here.

I think (but please correct me with your expertise) that my current set of speakers is not able to get the most of it.

Current setup is:

2 Front bookshelf Paradigm Monitor v.6

2 Back bookshelf Paradigm Atom v.5

1 Center paradigm CC-190

1 Velodyne subwoower PDR-12

Since I generally listen in 5-CHANNEL STEREO mode, I am seriosuly considering to switch to a 4.1 system of higher quality, leaving out a costly center channel which I hardly justify.

I am considering a double set of Paradigm Studio 10 for this purpose. I was told today by a seller that Paradigm studio would be possibly "too lively" for the already lively sound of my Denon AVR. He suggests QUAD 11L2 (same price as Paradigm Studio 10). What do you guys think?

The idea to have a warmer sound entices me a lot. I just would like to hear more opinions.

Other considerations:

Budget: about 2000$, not written in stone though

Room size: 30 x 20 ft - Lot of furniture

Music listened: Jazz, Electronica, World (i.e. flamenco guitar, modern tangos, arabic oud, etc...)

Thanks everyone!

Your current Paradigms are darn good speakers. You said that you think the Paradigms aren't getting the most out of your receiver, in my opinion it would be opposite. AV receivers typically just satisfy speakers. If you want to get the most out of your speakers, I think an amp would be the correct route. What is your source for music material?

·
Registered
11,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofarzong /forum/post/20787884

Your current Paradigms are darn good speakers. You said that you think the Paradigms aren't getting the most out of your receiver, in my opinion it would be opposite. AV receivers typically just satisfy speakers. If you want to get the most out of your speakers, I think an amp would be the correct route. What is your source for music material?

I agree. And I am not sure I agree that Denon receivers produce a "lively sound". The question I have is are you happy with your current system? Or do you feel you are missing something? And I agree with you on the center channel for music. Have you actually considered a really nice pair of tower speakers for 2 channel listening?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I do not have an extensive knowledge and probably no audiophile ears either, so presently what I tend to notice is a mid-range frequencies reproduction which sometimes sounds slightly muffled. If I listen a cd with a lot of classical guitar (i.e. Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, other flamenco players) I tend to notice this. If I listen jazz quartets I notice this less.

As per listening sources, I use the PS3 for most of my needs, although I also have an Oppo DVD (maybe 5 years old, not so new) which I am using less and less.

And, why I am wondering, is that I read that studio are so much better but I have no chance to audition them at home with my receiver here in Montreal. So I read they are better but I am wondering how much so and if with my AVR a positive difference would be noticeable or not.

No, I did not considered the 2-channel speakers configuration because I like the enveloping effect (so I want to keep the option to at least choose).

Presently I am still considering the 4.1 version as the most suitable.

A cheaper option would be to move the Mini monitor as surround and get a used pair of Titan (v.6) as front. There are some available at good price locally given than Dumoulin liquidated a lot of inventory for really bargain prices (hence some people bought those and are now reselling at slight margin). Again, not so sure how much of a difference that would make.

All in all, both of you are saying that the initial assumption that my speakers may not be up to the task with my AVR is likely flawed, so likely I need either to do nothing or go for the cheaper upgrade option (the Titan front purchase).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20787925

I agree. And I am not sure I agree that Denon receivers produce a "lively sound".

That is what I often read. Again, I am not enough in the knowledge to make my own opinion on this.

I had in the past a Harman Kardon (entry level 7.1) which sounded terrific (possibly better than the Denon) and a Pioneer 1020, which surely did not impress me so much soundwise (and it misses dynamic volume or dolby volume, which I love for TV). So there you go, not so much experience...

·
Registered
20,124 Posts
Your speakers are nice - however, I agree with you about their midrange performace.

I would upgrade to speakers with better midrange (resolution) performace. For your

surround music, I would match the front and rears. The Denon is a decent receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts