AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is in the market for one and there are two advantageous I can think of that the Bravo has over a HTPC that is lower fan noise and ease of use. Can anyone else chime in ?

Would you move to a Bravo if you are a current HTPC user ?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
This question is impossible to answer without knowing what you'd use an HTPC for. If you wish to burn DVDs, for example, the D1 won't do it.

For Region 1 DVD playback on my DVI-ready projector, I now prefer to use the D1 for convenience (I replaced the loader and still have some issues as detailed in the HTPC forum). PQ is excellent with my specific projector.

For other-region playback, I use the HTPC with Theatertek. I can also use the HTPC as a PVR, record over-the-air HDTV programs, and do many other things including surfing the net.

To answer you in a limited way: If you want to play DVDs onto a display unit/projector that is DVI-ready and that shows a better picture through DVI than component, and you mostly watch properly-flagged movies, the D1 is a value as it will show a better picture than a high-end, leading-edge HTPC (using ATI Radeon 9700/9800 Pro video card).

Plus, getting an HTPC to the point of picture and sound perfection takes months (and years) of reading this forum and a lot of experimentation (which can be fun in itself as many of us got hooked). The D1 can be configured fairly quickly so instant gratification is greater.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.