Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

Please relate your experience with me. I could really use the help.

I will post this in different areas since in has a multiple of questions. I am pretty knowledgeable about HT. Buy I have a tough very confusing decision to make. I am in the process of turning my new home (loft) into a HT. I just got done installing the 7th channel (2 rear centers running in series). Now it is time to replace my 25inch RCA from 10 years ago. I cannon decide to go RP or FP. I have a progressive Scan DVD. And I use Direct TV with the dish that I can later buy a HDTV decoder for. I don't play games. We own a lot of movies and enjoy watching TV now and then.

Here are my thoughts:

The loft is upstairs and has two windows that I will be covering up with framed movie posters (My wife is decorating the whole thing). I will also eventually put in movie seats with two rows. The wall with the TV is 8 feet high and about 17 feet from the opposite wall. The TV wall is over 15 feet long. There is a linen closet behind this wall (an extra one we don't use) that I may turn into my equipment closet.

If I go RPTV it needs to be able to get up my staircase that is shaped like packman. It will be very difficult to get one up there. The Mitsubishi 65inch can come apart into two pieces. Has anyone does this?

Should I buy a RPTV now or wait until the DLPs come out. They will obviously be lighter and easier to get up my stairs. As you can see from my dimensions that I can easily fit a 65inch TV on that wall.

Or should I just get a FP? If so which one? Are there other hidden costs I should know about? How much is a inexpensive screen (I don't need it to be motorized)? And which vendors have you used that you like (and vice-versa)

The 65inch Platinum Select Mitsubishi can be bought from $3000. That sounds real nice. But am I shooting myself in the foot for future technologies?

I could go with a smaller TV say a 32 or 36 for everyday TV watching and then use a FP for our movies. But what budget should I really be considering?

Thanks for all your help.

This forum has made it possible to get all of us techies together and share information. I don't think I would have bought half the equipment I own if it was not for your advice.

-Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

We will need a lot more information from you to help you with this dilemma. What city do you live in? The address, please. Do you have an alarm system? What is the code? Any guns or vicious dogs? What days are you usually out of town? :D

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sorry!

Couldn't resist. Front projectors, although typically needing more care and feeding, usually offer a more intense film-like involving experience. One need not have a huge room; mine is 14' deep and I shoot a front projector from a low table onto a 74"-wide screen made of white primered artists' canvas, it cost me $90 to make a screen. One of my customers in Wisconsin, Paul Gere, did a fantastic job of renovating an above-garage loft into one of the coolest HT rooms on the planet, he uses an 8" Marquee projector: http://thescreeningroom1.homestead.com/SRintro.html Paul is also a super-nice guy, I met him here in Phoenix last year, do not hesitate to e.mail him with your questions.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Front projection produces the best picture...if you go FPTV other items to consider are HTPC or scaler (progressive scan DVD player isn't enough at this size) video cabling, screen.

You can make the best screen for about $300 in materials, if you can spray paint yourself (or have a friend who can)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Michael,

I would consider what you are willing to spend first for this project, then price the items out to hit that budget.

The first thing to think about is what format you want 16:9 or 4:3 and if you will be watching DVD movies, TV or both.

In FP you have to consider a lot of things to get the signal-signals to the projector, that means a switcher or processor that will take multi inputs and either auto switch to them or manual operation, so you need to think about how many remotes you want and how you want to control this.

You could run s-video but you will probably up grade this in a couple of months, do you want to run the DVD component or progressive output, theres alot to consider here and a lot for you to think about and research.

If you dont want to do that your going to have to run the cables in case you change your mind later. Give us more information on your sources and what you expect to do in the near future and we can point you in the right direction. HDTV? Doug

·
Registered
451 Posts
Probably your best bet is to go Front Projection. I could be biased but hey, it is the best way to watch your favorite movies and TV shows. I would make my own screen, run RGBHV to the projector, use your receiver/preamp as the video switcher and then run the switched output to a line doubler and finnally RGBHV to the projector. You could save your old RCA tv for daytime viewing, although once you experience a reference DVD on a CRT projector, well to put it nicely the RCA will look like crap. :) This setup gives you the option in the future to upgrade to HDTV and add a HTPC for DVD playback as you already have the RGBHV cable run to the projector. Hope this helps!

-Audiophil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replys. Still have not made up my mind. My brother tells me to go and get a FP used. Since I am in sales maybe I can right that off?

:)

You guys asked about my equipment:

I am using Outlaw 1050.

Pioneer DVD

DirectTV

and a bunch of other misc stuff like VCRs etc.

I ran wires for 5 pairs of in-ceiling speakers that I will install in the next few weeks.

Downstairs I pre wired for two rear channels in-ceiling that I will put a smaller tv there (Probably the RCA)

I aslo ran Left/Right and video from the Loft (HT) to the downstairs.

I have 7 channels of Def Tech running with 2002 mains (I will be upgradding the center channel soon)

Future Palns:

HDTV recevier for upstairs loft

Seperate 7 channel amp

upgrade 1050, maybe new Outlaw

FP eventually

FP for me is a whle new world. I am considering getting the Mitsubishi 65 and just getting the FP later on.

my $.02

Any suggestions?

The mitsu is about $3000

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would skip the RPTV and go for a FP system. If you have a light controlled room, want a big screen, the theater feeling, much better resolution (especially when you upgrade to HD), a FP system is the only way to go. Even if you have to use your wall as a screen for the time being, you will be much happier. Connected to a HTPC and HD satellite receiver, you'll be quite happy.

I use a 58" RPTV HD set for normal TV but not for serious viewing. I had purchased it before obtaining a FP and now I wish I had never purchased it.

You mentioned $3000 for the Mits. Is that your budget for a RPTV/FP?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.