AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HD Tivo box was installed today and the installer had some trouble with the HDMI output. When he plugged the HDMI cable into the TV, the picture was either blank or distorted red and green. I've read elsewhere about some of these units having defective HDMI ports right out of the box, so I assumed that was the problem.

However, when the installer called his boss to see what he should do, his boss told him that quite a few units have this problem, and that it's a problem with DirecTV (yeah, I was skeptical too). He said a phone update could fix the problem but that I should wait up to 20 days before that would be fixed.

Of course, I really don't believe this, and I think the boss said it just so the installer could get out of the house. I assume I'll need to call DirecTV and have them send me another unit (they did this once with my old receiver and were very efficient, so I assume I'll have no problems). I just wanted to check here to see if anyone else had heard such a story, or if I should just skip the 20 days (what an odd time frame... ) and call DirecTV now.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Based on the various posts I've seen, this is not something that can be fixed with an "update". It's a bad HDMI output. My HDMI output has never had any trouble. Call DirecTV and get this fixed. Don't wait any longer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, they're BS'ing you for sure. These boxes are notorious for bad HDMI ports, be it out of the box or otherwise. The installer clearly just wanted to get out of your house ASAP and you were absolutely lied to. I'd get a new one from DirecTv and file a complaint against the installers if possible. To say that it can be fixed by phoning in is ludicrous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lol! this is hilarious! You should demand a replacement next day shipped and installed from corporate.

When you call remember that most phone techs are low level and have heard it all before, they also can't do much of anything about anything (since most tech support is out-source) Just tell them You want to talk to their supervisor immediately. If they hesitate, tell them you'll have their job! That'll get there attention! Tell the supervisor how unaceptable this is, don't mention how your going to quit using the service, because they don't care, your one customer and they have more to worry about like meeting call quota's. Best thing to do is tell them you either get the replacement + credit your account, or your calling the BBB, filing a report with the SEC, and reporting fraud to your CC company! See how fast they move then! g/l

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno if I need to go that far, but I'll definitely call them tomorrow. The installer was actually suggesting he take the entire unit back and re-schedule when DirecTV shipped him a new one, but I wasn't having any of that. I already waited around for six hours today before they showed up, so I'm not doing that again. When my SD Tivo's tuner went bad last year (under warranty), DirecTV set me a new one second-day and just had me send back the old receiver (minus cords and remote, which for some reason I got to keep). They even gave me instructions on how to schedule a UPS pickup, and they paid for UPS to come to my house. I wasn't without a receiver for any amount of time. Hopefully they'll be that helpful this time around.

I am going to tell them about the installers, though. They should know that someone at that particular company is full of crap. Wish I had gotten the boss's name.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got mine hooked up yesterday afternoon.

My Sony only has DVI so the installer used the HDMI to DVI cable and the picture quality was worse than Analog OTA.

Pulled out the Component cable and TA DA! Perfec picture.

J C

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It's possible your TV holds calibration settings for each input and your component input is just better calibrated. If the receiver's HDMI output was malfunctioning, it wouldn't be a question of quality. If a picture showed up at all it would show an obvious malfunction such as everything in shades of pink.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow-up to the original post.

I just had my worst experience with DirecTV customer service to date. I talked to four separate people, one of whom didn't appear to know what HDMI was. You can read the story or just skip to the bottom, as I still need help.

I explained my situation to all four people:

Person 1 told me software couldn't fix a HDMI problem (and laughed) and transferred me to technical support.

Person #2 said a software upgrade COULD fix HDMI, checked with her supervisor, came back and told me *ALL* HD DVR's have bad HDMI and not to use it at all :eek: When I told her I have seen HD DVRs work via HDMI, she talked to her supervisor again, came back, and told me to try a new cable. She wanted me to buy one until I told her the cable came with the unit. She went back with her supervisor, then came back and said the installer must have broken the HDMI cable by wiggling it. Then she told me her computer was broken and couldn't make notes, and that she was transferring me back to someone else who could order a cable for me.

Person #3 might have been new. She didn't know which cables transmitted HD signal and often asked me completely unrelated questions. I think I spent a good 20 minutes with her doing absolutely nothing. She also wanted to sell me a $50 cable. Then she told me she couldn't send me a cable at all. Then she told me to go to Best Buy and buy a cable. Several times she just gave up and I had to keep pushing her to do something. Eventually she told me not to use the HDMI and to use component since it was working already. Then, as if an ingenious idea had just hit her, she said the box needed to be replaced. She made notes and transferred me.

Person #4 actually knew what the hell HDMI was. She said there were issues in the past few months but was shocked that my unit was installed not two weeks ago and it had never worked. She huddled up with her supervisor (is this really necessary every time? why don't they just put the supervisors on the damn phone?) and said D* was still sending out software upgrades to fix the HDMI issues. She took info on my TV but said she could not give me a timetable as to when this allegedly would be fixed (I asked for a date so I'd have a point at which to call back). She then promised that she had documented ALL of my concerns, and I hung up. Then some punk came to my door selling magazines, but that's neither here or there.

Bottom line: I want to re-confirm with the people on this board that this can not possibly be a software problem, and was not ever a software problem for anyone else. Has anyone else ever even heard of such a story? And how to I go about getting someone halfway knowledgable on the phone? Do I actually have to ask for a supervisor right off the bat? It's ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
For the full rundown see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3&page=1&pp=30

The bottom lines:

A significant percentage of HR10-250s had hardware problems with HDMI boards. The was also a software problem with certain TVs.

The hardware problem was handled with a new board and connection system last November.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I don't even bother calling the DirecTV number with my problems. I go directly to Customer Retention for everything. 80% of the time I get someone really knowledgeable, compared to the 25% from the main number. :)

DirecTV Customer Retention

1-800-600-8977

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link. Kinda scary how many people from that thread had a bad output right out of the box. I guess I'll mess around with restarting my box and TV until I get the next firmware upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.