AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,


Sorry to create another thread, but since I did not get any reponse to my other thread I created this one.


budget: $2500 (receiver, sub, speakers)

room: 19'x17'x10' (open to stairs, upper floor from one side)

iPod/iPhone: connection would be nice to have

use: 75-80% movies/games, 20-25% music


Front: Energy CF-30 x2 (tower)

Surround: Energy CB-20 x2 (bookshelf)

Center: Energy RC-LCR or CC-10 (not sure paying double for RC-LCR would matter or just go for cheaper CC-10 for center???)

Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-9040TXH



What do you guys think? Is that a good combination? Any other combo or individual component you would change to make it better or you know are better than this? Please give me your valuable feedback/suggestions.


Thank you!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Personally, with that budget, I would not get Energy's but thats me. Sub and receiver probably great choices but Klipsch, Polk and several others make speakers in your budget that should sound much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21 /forum/post/18207513


Personally, with that budget, I would not get Energy's but thats me. Sub and receiver probably great choices but Klipsch, Polk and several others make speakers in your budget that should sound much better.

This the reason I created the thread to get suggestions for this budget. The reason I selected energy for my relative is that I recently got energy TC for myself and was impressed with the quality. But since I am new to this whole HT stuff I am not sure what would be better choice. Please let me know other options with the model #s if possible.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Speaker is a personal taste so best if you go to a few shops and audition as many brands as possible. Look into PSB T65 as well and build around that. If there is a dealer near you audition them. PSB can be had for good prices at Saturday Audio.


Energy is a very good brand as well. I haven't done research on this perticular model but from their other models, Energy is a good brand overall. Listening and auditioning is the only sure way to know if its for you or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
You have enough budget to get a really nice system. I wouldn't personally go for the Energy C line. Based on your budget, I assume you're paying list price. That's $600 for the mains, $300 for the center and $350 for the surrounds. I believe you can get a much better 5-speaker set for $1,250.


For example, if you check Vann's, you can get two pairs of RC-10s and an RC-LCR for the same price.


As others already mentioned, there are other fine choices within that price range. It depends on your preference for forward (bright) or laid back (warm) speakers. For example, I'm sure Klipsch are fine speakers but I can't stand bright speakers and I wouldn't be able to listen to them for too long. I love the sound of my RC-10s; they are just right for me, but I'm sure some people would consider them too laid back.


Enjoy the search and you've come to the right place for information. Also check the Speakers sub-forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18208331


Speaker is a personal taste so best if you go to a few shops and audition as many brands as possible. Look into PSB T65 as well and build around that. If there is a dealer near you audition them. PSB can be had for good prices at Saturday Audio.


Energy is a very good brand as well. I haven't done research on this perticular model but from their other models, Energy is a good brand overall. Listening and auditioning is the only sure way to know if its for you or not.

Yes I really liked how the Energy speakers sound. Even my Energy TC for me sounded better compared to some Definitive Tech tower speakers I demoed recently at Magnolia. I guess its just a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gye /forum/post/18208960


You have enough budget to get a really nice system. I wouldn't personally go for the Energy C line. Based on your budget, I assume you're paying list price. That's $600 for the mains, $300 for the center and $350 for the surrounds. I believe you can get a much better 5-speaker set for $1,250.


For example, if you check Vann's, you can get two pairs of RC-10s and an RC-LCR for the same price.


As others already mentioned, there are other fine choices within that price range. It depends on your preference for forward (bright) or laid back (warm) speakers. For example, I'm sure Klipsch are fine speakers but I can't stand bright speakers and I wouldn't be able to listen to them for too long. I love the sound of my RC-10s; they are just right for me, but I'm sure some people would consider them too laid back.


Enjoy the search and you've come to the right place for information. Also check the Speakers sub-forum.

So you are suggesting I should get 4 RC-10s(front/rear) and RC-LCR(center)? I thought the bigger CF-30 in front would have been better? What is your thought about getting CF-30 for fronts, RC-10s for surround and RC-LCR for center. Or do the RC-10s out perform CF-30s when just comparing their specs?


Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK1 /forum/post/18211043



So you are suggesting I should get 4 RC-10s(front/rear) and RC-LCR(center)? I thought the bigger CF-30 in front would have been better? What is your thought about getting CF-30 for fronts, RC-10s for surround and RC-LCR for center. Or do the RC-10s out perform CF-30s when just comparing their specs?

Yes, I think the RC-10s will be better than the CF-30s because the RC line has better components than the C line. The biggest advantage of tower speakers over bookshelves is the lower extension (i.e., a lower frequency response). Since you'll have a capable subwoofer, that won't really matter. In a home theater application, you'll be setting the crossover at 80Hz or 60Hz.


For more comparisons between the RC and the C line, you can check the Energy Owners thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30450&page=595


You can post your question there and you'll most likely hear from people that have tried them both.


Additionally, it's also desirable to match the front 3 speakers. The RC-LCR and the RC-10 have the same tweeter, whereas the CF-30 has a different one. That's referred as timbre matching.


Matching the rear speakers is not as important, and much less relevant in a home theater application. The RC Mini's for example would be a good choice but since they don't seem to be on sale, they could more expensive than the sale price for the RC-10s.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top