AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple brings out new iPhones that can shoot Dolby Vision HDR, supposedly without the shooters having to fiddle endlessly with their computers, let alone their new phones, to get this creme de la creme of HDR to properly displayed on YouTube or other online video sites . Panasonic brings out a new "cinema" box camera, a la Z-Cam and Red that among all things promises new continuos hunting autofocus (no, real pros don't use autofocus). Nikon brings out two new "Mark II" mirrorless cameras that you may have a hard time figure out what is actually better on these two new cameras compared to the old ones.

Last but not least, Canon brings out the new mirrorless M50 that can shoot video vertically. Ah, portrait video with lovely pillar boxing on a real camera, at last.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
In another news: I believe Panasonic AG-CX10 / HC-X2000 / HC-X1500 haven't been mentioned on AVSForum, these cameras came in the beginning of the year. Finally Panasonic made a compact semi-pro / pro camcorder - my favorite format. Even now I would not mind having one, but the X1500 is $1700, and others are even more expensive. Don't think so.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Real pros use the tools that are made available to them if it works for whatever situation they find themselves in. Only wannabes get fixated on being "pure" .

The M50 "Mark II" is basically the same camera as the Mark I.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Apple brings out new iPhones that can shoot Dolby Vision HDR, supposedly without the shooters having to fiddle endlessly with their computers, let alone their new phones, to get this creme de la creme of HDR to properly displayed on YouTube or other online video sites.
I really like Emmanuel's color grade, especially the beautifully natural colors and skin tones but to get this creme de la creme to display on YouTube you are going to have to wait, since Dolby Vision is not supported; the video is SDR.

Reactions: markr041

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
That's is a nice commercial, but the newest and greatest iPhone will not make great cinematographers from regular Joes, just like the latest Ford Bronco will not make its owners go out to the desert to, I don't know, watch the stars. It is possible to do about as good with lesser equipment. Equipment has not been an issue for more then twenty years, where are all these amazing amateur films?

Regarding amateur films and old tech, here is a film I recently watched about 8-track. At times it looks as if it was shot on Super 8, but I think it actually was shot on video, probably DV. Old video tech used to discuss old audio tech, huh.

The Apple/Lubezky video is just an ad to sell a thousand-dollar phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts