AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me: My Topcon Bm7 cannot connect with my PC.

As I read on FAQ website, this error can be caused by RS232 parameter. But I don't know what I must do.

Please help me to set correct RS232 parameter. And, does this parameter cause this error?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Looks like it's time to get out the manual. RS-232 parameters include baudrate, hardware/software flow controls, etc. Both the meter and the computer must be set correctly (no auto-negotiation here), so you need to use the meter's manual to find the correct settings. If you don't have one, you may be able to download it at Topco's website. Do you have an actual RS-232 port on your computer or are you using a USB-to-RS232 cable? Some of those cables don't work well with certain components.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Would a BM-5A be compatible with Calman as well? Also, would anyone happen to know which RS-232 to USB cable would be needed for BM-5A? It looks as though the BM-5A has a 24 pin connector (female).

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Not with Home. It only can use X-Rite meters and the Spyder 5 and X. You need at least a Studio license for that meter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not with Home. It only can use X-Rite meters and the Spyder 5 and X. You need at least a Studio license for that meter.
do you think it will work with a studio license? i just know that calman has a guide for BM-7A / SR-3AR, but wondering if BM-5A will work as well. Would this luminance colorimeter even be worth upgrading to over the existing hardware I own (i1 display pro plus and i1pro 2)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
The three professional licenses support various BM models. Go to Professional Software click on each license and then its Specifications tab to see what hardware it supports.
The BM series are colorimeters and not spectros, so will need a matrix for each display type they will be used with. I don't know if Topcon has matrices available. A used meter might also need to be repaired and/or caibrated. If you can find someplace to do it, it won't be cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts