AVS Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2989 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Geez...maybe you should just give up trying to add your (most likely) pirated material ripped with unknown software from an unknown source with unknown quality.
fair enough. But to troubleshoot. MKVs not able to be added at all to the plex library if they are in the samedirectory and folder as any other rips or is this a known issue with PLEX? If not-I’m trying to figure out why 4 titles (from pic above) suddenly cannot be added to my movie folder even after pressing scan library files multiple times....

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Again, I would question the quality of the files themselves. I have very rarely had a properly ripped and named mkv not show up in Plex and I have some pretty obscure foreign titles.

The fact that these 4 were all torrent downloads would lead me to believe the problem is with the files.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
fair enough. But to troubleshoot. MKVs not able to be added at all to the plex library if they are in the samedirectory and folder as any other rips or is this a known issue with PLEX? If not-I’m trying to figure out why 4 titles (from pic above) suddenly cannot be added to my movie folder even after pressing scan library files multiple times....
I don't know what the right answer is. I've always used a separate folder for each individual rip of a disk I own. I've never had trouble with chapters. MKV ripping the main movie always gives me chapters. that was prevailing wisdom and advice from plex users and MKV users from way back in the day.

The only time I don't get chapters is if I have to back up the disc using TS muxer and then MKV tools mix to remux to an MKV... So in that case I have to manually analyze the library for that movie to get chapters.

your best bet is to, as someone else said, forgett the bootleg crap. Use one movie per folder. Everything should just work. There may be a rare case where you have to manually fetch data using the web interface of Plex server

-T

Reactions: calculon68

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
or is this a known issue with PLEX?
it’s not an issue with plex, it’s an issue with you because you haven’t read the f*cking manual like you were shown. Yourmovies are named wrong. RTFM.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Again, I would question the quality of the files themselves. I have very rarely had a properly ripped and named mkv not show up in Plex and I have some pretty obscure foreign titles.

The fact that these 4 were all torrent downloads would lead me to believe the problem is with the files.
ok
Agree with using individual folders for each movie file.
I get it. I’ll make a separate folder for each one (even though they show up and work fine) maybe this will help the chapters though

As for the naming-they all seemed to work before and if renaming them changes the chances of chapters working consistently then it’s worth doing

as for the downloads-even though I’m surprised since the 4 came from different sources, I assumed one or more would at least show up as something as they are at the end of the day MKV files-I do acknowledge that it seems PLEX may somehow screen for these type of MKV and not even acknowledge them so I’ll avoid just adding non ripped UHD MKV files in the future

Thanks all for the continued patience and assistance

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I’ve probably screwed something up because even now on the plex tv app it says “Playback error-Please check that the file exists and the necessary drive is mounted”
Even though the drive is atttched to the computer and I’ve played videos through the web app. This is on all the videos.
I have a separate email-I think at this point starting another account email may be the cleanest way to just start over with all these things

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I’ve probably screwed something up because even now on the plex tv app it says “Playback error-Please check that the file exists and the necessary drive is mounted”
Even though the drive is atttched to the computer and I’ve played videos through the web app. This is on all the videos.
I have a separate email-I think at this point starting another account email may be the cleanest way to just start over with all these things
Learning the ins and outs of Plex takes a while. Fortunately for you your library isn’t that big. The NUMBER ONE thing when setting it up is to study Plex’s naming conventions. It all starts there. As others have said the hierarchy is parent shared folder (on the Shield that’s “NVIDIA_SHIELD”) then “Movies” or whatever you want, then a folder that contains the movie. An example of mine looks like this.
DRIVE NAME
NVIDIA_SHIELD
Movies
12 Angry Men (1957)
12 Angry Men (1957) (1080p).mkv
If it doesn’t match or you’re getting errors it could be many things. Maybe the file didn’t completely copy? Maybe you didn’t name it correctly. Don’t use shortcuts. If a movie has a “A” or “The” don’t leave it out and check your spelling and accuracy multiple times so it’s accurate.
RTFM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: scolumbo

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
I am doing this all from the computer at this point-haven’t hooked it back up to shield. This is a pic of the Mac. Usually it updates this way.
I suggested looking in the log file. I am not sure how that relates to your setup. I run plex media server on a real computer not on a shield. I only said shield cause it was in your screen shot.
date added filter doesn’t add it, just changes the order
I didn't suggest this to suddenly fix the problem. I suggested this so we can see what items are in the front of the list.

tried changing title names to add year and that didn’t do anything. Btw, all the other file names that have been added do NOT have year either but work.

the only thing that was done different on the 4 latest that don’t add to library is that they were downloaded torrents with MKV title extensions instead of ripped through Make MKV ripping but the extension and file types are the same...
Right. Adding the name to the file name will not impact whether or not the file is scanned and imported into your library. It may impact how it gets added and what it's counted as. IMO we haven't yet determined that the files are not being added. They may be there but listed as something completely unexpected. You have 50 MKV files on your list and 45 movies in your library. So there's a difference of 5, not 4. What else didn't get added? Did you test that the files play before adding them?

Honestly, a lot of the suggestions above are just noise and not helpful. I do not put all my movies in separate folders. That doesn't matter and is not required. I have 3000+ movies in a single movies folder and plex finds them all.

Plex will import the item into your library first then it will match it next. If your filename is bad, it will not skip importing it. It will just skip matching it. All the suggestions relating to filenaming has nothing to do with your issue. If your filename is bad, those files will be in your library but will not be matched properly. They won't be missing.

If your MKV files are corrupted, that might crash the scanner and might explain your problem. I'd try playing them outside of plex and verify the files are OK.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I suggested looking in the log file. I am not sure how that relates to your setup. I run plex media server on a real computer not on a shield. I only said shield cause it was in your screen shot.

I didn't suggest this to suddenly fix the problem. I suggested this so we can see what items are in the front of the list.

Right. Adding the name to the file name will not impact whether or not the file is scanned and imported into your library. It may impact how it gets added and what it's counted as. IMO we haven't yet determined that the files are not being added. They may be there but listed as something completely unexpected. You have 50 MKV files on your list and 45 movies in your library. So there's a difference of 5, not 4. What else didn't get added? Did you test that the files play before adding them?

Honestly, a lot of the suggestions above are just noise and not helpful. I do not put all my movies in separate folders. That doesn't matter and is not required. I have 3000+ movies in a single movies folder and plex finds them all.

Plex will import the item into your library first then it will match it next. If your filename is bad, it will not skip importing it. It will just skip matching it. All the suggestions relating to filenaming has nothing to do with your issue. If your filename is bad, those files will be in your library but will not be matched properly. They won't be missing.

If your MKV files are corrupted, that might crash the scanner and might explain your problem. I'd try playing them outside of plex and verify the files are OK.
Yeah, it could be a corrupted file but using the proper Plex recommended naming conventions is not “noise”. RTFM. For example, if you have more than one version of a movie it is helpful to have them in the same folder to organize things.
“Movies in Their Own Folders
Movie files can be placed into individual folders and this is recommended, as it can (sometimes significantly) inthe speed of scanning in new media. If you have external media for a movie (e.g. custom poster, external subtitle filess, etc.) you should usually place the movie in a nested folder along with the custom media files. Name the folder the same as the movie file:
  • /Movies/MovieName (release year)/MovieName (release year).ext”

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
Yeah, it could be a corrupted file but using the proper Plex recommended naming conventions is not “noise”. RTFM. For example, if you have more than one version of a movie it is helpful to have them in the same folder to organize things.
“Movies in Their Own Folders
Movie files can be placed into individual folders and this is recommended, as it can (sometimes significantly) inthe speed of scanning in new media. If you have external media for a movie (e.g. custom poster, external subtitle filess, etc.) you should usually place the movie in a nested folder along with the custom media files. Name the folder the same as the movie file:
  • /Movies/MovieName (release year)/MovieName (release year).ext”
Again, none of this will prevent the movie from showing up in the library. Therefore, it's pure noise since it does not address the issue the poster is reporting. If the movies are showing up in the library but being identified incorrectly, then your suggestions are all helpful. However, that's a different problem than the one being reported.

Separate folders will not speed up the scan if your folder contains nothing but movie files. However, if your library contains a bunch of override image files and such for each movie, then putting them in their own folders will help. But, again, the poster posted a screen shot of his directory containing the files and you can clearly see it only has .mkv files in it. Therefore, the suggestion of moving the files into separate folders is pure noise and not helpful in this case.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like your drive fell asleep. Unplug, replug, give it time to warm up and get detected by your server, then rescan for new files.

DO NOT put your movies into individual folders.

DO add year in parentheses after the name but before the extension. This is what I advised you to do before.

Are you reading the Plex FAQ and forums? I'm saying this as politely as I can, but I feel like you could probably fix some of these issues on your own if you did some more legwork by yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Again, none of this will prevent the movie from showing up in the library. Therefore, it's pure noise since it does not address the issue the poster is reporting. If the movies are showing up in the library but being identified incorrectly, then your suggestions are all helpful. However, that's a different problem than the one being reported.

Separate folders will not speed up the scan if your folder contains nothing but movie files. However, if your library contains a bunch of override image files and such for each movie, then putting them in their own folders will help. But, again, the poster posted a screen shot of his directory containing the files and you can clearly see it only has .mkv files in it. Therefore, the suggestion of moving the files into separate folders is pure noise and not helpful in this case.
As I said, the files could certainly be corrupted but they could also be unmatched. If he hits the “All” drop down and selects “Unmatched” he could quickly rule that out.
Naming conventions are the number one problem for new Plex users. Look at his Blue Planet II and Blue Planet 2 mkv’s. That’s a mess. If you follow the posters thread back several days he has match problems primarily due to typos, a lack of organization and not reading the very thing you call noise. That’s just terrible advice IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
I have a Plex server running on my Media-PC. All my rips, BD and DVD, are MKV. On each HDD of the storage farm the movie MKV's are all in a single folder called "movies" -- as per the manual. I have over 100 movie MKV's in a folder on the 4TB HDD's. The movie MKV's are named as:
movie-title (release year) - optional comments
where movie-title = "the name of the movie exactly as specified in TMDb" -- as per the manual

When I add a new title to one of the HDD's in the library, it is correctly recognized and populated with meta data within seconds. I have over 3500 MKV's of BD movies and DVD TV episodes on my Plex server. All named properly and all are instantly and correctly recognized.

Go to the Plex support site and exactly follow the instructions for naming and storing your media titles.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
DO NOT put your movies into individual folders.

DO add year in parentheses after the name but before the extension. This is what I advised you to do before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'm just curious why you would tell anyone to not put their movies into individual folders.

While this is a Plex discussion thread, and maybe it's not 100% required for plex, it is a library after all... if a user decides use some other front end that requires movies to be in individual folders ( since some front ends download their own metadata directly into the movie folder) then the library is set up for any front end.

As for adding an extension, I am a firm believer in the less monkey work the better. I never add extensions. I don't want to have to type it when I'm making a rip. Every front end I've had is pretty smart to grab the metadata, plex included. And if it gets the metadata wrong, you can override that metadata and choose the actual movie in case it's a remake.

-T

Edit:. I suppose your advice about not putting movies in individual folders was specific to this one user because it would not solve his problem. So then I can understand it. If it was in that context.

I guess the same goes for years in the movie title file name in the event that he has duplicate films with the same name.

I guess I did not think of those things when I posted originally.

@Chirosamsung I don't think you have makeMKV configured properly. I have makeMKV set up so I just pick a root folder Like, F:\Movies I have set up in the makeMKV preferences. Then make MKV puts every movie I rip into individual folders for me using a name that matches the movie I'm ripping. I don't have to type anything. Maybe go to the make MKV sites and see how you can configure make MKV to create a folders for you when you rip a movie.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hey guys, update-I reinstalled Plex on computer with new name and email and all worked for downloading all movies (including ones that aren’t rips) including album art etc. The library looks great.

so, I had my harddrive hooked up to the Mac and I could play the videos from the Mac and I also linked it to my shield and was able to stream the videos from there just the same. So far so good. Except because of the buffering at times I wanted to change it to like it was before and have the media library harddrive hooked up to the shield since that is the only tv I care about anyways. That is also how I had it before

the problem is when I do that I get a ref unavailable on all my movie titles when I open them and a message saying “MEDIA UNAVAILIBLE-The file associated with this item is not accessible by the server. Please verify that the file exists and the necessary drive is accessible”

I am not figuring out how to let the shield play the hard drive from it like I did before.

in the past, when I fist set the server up and directed the library to my harddrive while on the Mac, it also just played when I moved it onto the shield (in fact it ONLY played when the hard drive was on the shield). Now it seems the opposite. It will only play on the shield if the hard drive is hooked up to the Mac (but I don’t want that now).

can anyone please offer assistance with this?

Btw, I set it up this time with the proper movie titles (including year) and each title has its own folder

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Hey guys, update-I reinstalled Plex on computer with new name and email and all worked for downloading all movies (including ones that aren’t rips) including album art etc. The library looks great.

so, I had my harddrive hooked up to the Mac and I could play the videos from the Mac and I also linked it to my shield and was able to stream the videos from there just the same. So far so good. Except because of the buffering at times I wanted to change it to like it was before and have the media library harddrive hooked up to the shield since that is the only tv I care about anyways. That is also how I had it before

the problem is when I do that I get a ref unavailable on all my movie titles when I open them and a message saying “MEDIA UNAVAILIBLE-The file associated with this item is not accessible by the server. Please verify that the file exists and the necessary drive is accessible”

I am not figuring out how to let the shield play the hard drive from it like I did before.

in the past, when I fist set the server up and directed the library to my harddrive while on the Mac, it also just played when I moved it onto the shield (in fact it ONLY played when the hard drive was on the shield). Now it seems the opposite. It will only play on the shield if the hard drive is hooked up to the Mac (but I don’t want that now).

can anyone please offer assistance with this?
It has to be in the “NVIDIA_SHIELD” shared directory and that directory “Movies”? has to be added to the movie folders section of Plex Media Server so it can scan it. I’ve told you all this before.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
It has to be in the “NVIDIA_SHIELD” shared directory and that directory “Movies”? has to be added to the movie folders section of Plex Media Server so it can scan it. I’ve told you all this before.
i get that, and I’m pretty sure that it’s set up for those shared directories-that’s how it got the movie titles and art on the shield and the Mac once I reinstalled it.

please see picture below with the directory and see if I missed anything

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
2921 - 2940 of 2989 Posts