AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 2989 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
For any others that may come here with a similar problem: What was the fix??
i didn’t put the IP of shield adress in right and once I got that proper one from the shield and had the hard drive hooked up to it I entered that into the Mac search and then I was able to finally add the storage from the hard drive directory (could see it now) when I went to the library of the movie section then it added it :)

I think it was overly complicated because I started backwards by putting (and then removing) the plex server on the Mac when I shouldn’t only put it on the shield. So many extra driectories to navigate with both and not speaking to one another. This is why I could play from the plex on Mac or shield when hard drive was on Mac but I really wanted to play from shield with hard drive on shield

Reactions: DougUSMC

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
i didn’t put the IP of shield adress in right and once I got that proper one from the shield and had the hard drive hooked up to it I entered that into the Mac search and then I was able to finally add the storage from the hard drive directory (could see it now) when I went to the library of the movie section then it added it :)

I think it was overly complicated because I started backwards by putting (and then removing) the plex server on the Mac when I shouldn’t only put it on the shield. So many extra driectories to navigate with both and not speaking to one another. This is why I could play from the plex on Mac or shield when hard drive was on Mac but I really wanted to play from shield with hard drive on shield
Cool, thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
What would you guys recommend in my setup with an external hard drive hooked up to my shield as to the option where the metadata can be stored on the external drive rather than internal? I only have about 50 rips and the internal drive has I believe 12 GB of storage. What would be faster or preferred and why?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
What would you guys recommend in my setup with an external hard drive hooked up to my shield as to the option where the metadata can be stored on the external drive rather than internal? I only have about 50 rips and the internal drive has I believe 12 GB of storage. What would be faster or preferred and why?
I believe you should at least consider keeping the metadata on the external hard drive attached to the shield. Otherwise you're going to fill up your internal memory. When your library gets larger.

It was a guy on YouTube, and I think the channel was Lon TV... He showed how to configure The Shield 2019 to get the metadata off of the shield and onto the external USB drive.

I'm not in your situation. Since I run a Plex server on a PC still. Is there a way that you can check how much storage your Plex server is taking up now on the shield with the metadata for those 50 movies? Maybe it's a non-issue if you have plenty of storage to spare.

-T

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I’m not sure how or if I can check that...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Reactions: m_snow and T-Bone

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
When somebody says something about using pirated material on here I always think to myself “Are people really doing that”. Sure enough they are. There’s no way I would introduce files from unknown sources into my network much less on to my NAS. Ticking time bomb IMO. Better learn to use BTC to get your files unlocked.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When somebody says something about using pirated material on here I always think to myself “Are people really doing that”. Sure enough they are. There’s no way I would introduce files from unknown sources into my network much less on to my NAS. Ticking time bomb IMO. Better learn to use BTC to get your files unlocked.
for sure. Or at least do regular backups so you can start again if so

·
Registered
822 Posts
So just have to say Plex is incredible and I should have jumped on this train earlier...I am in the process of backing up my dvds and blurays so I can store the disks I own and finally get 300-400 movies out of my living room. Whats crazy is the kids have watched older movies more then when the disks were sitting there due to them being able to just scroll through a list and push play (what they are use to now with streaming). I am very happy so far...I am using a combo handbrake and mkv to rip everything handbrake I am using dvds at fast 480p setting with auto passthrough on audio tracks, and then blurays I use handbrake on ones I really dont care about quality on and ripping at HQ 1080p with auto passthrough on audio. Ones that I want to squeeze everything i can out of I am using MKV and leaving them full size. My buddy had two suggestions

#1 Use handbrake on the mkv files and shrink them and I wont lose any quality (which if this is the case why not just rip them with handbrake at HQ 1080p and audio auto passthrough?)
#2. Rip dvds at 720p not 480p it does make a difference....Does it or am I just taking up storage space for nothing? Thanks all!!

Edit: content will be played in home only on 4k tvs and a 100" epson 4040 projector. Streamed via mix of nivida shield on projector and firesticks and tivo stream 4ks.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
for sure. Or at least do regular backups so you can start again if so
I'm not suggesting that piracy is ok, but man this is the biggest bunch of misinformation I've heard in ages. There is zero harm in putting video files from unknown sources on your home network. Absolutely zero harm. Zilch, none, nada. There's no possible way for it to be "a ticking time bomb". Video files are not executable files. They're just data files that are read and played back by other software that you already have and trust on your PC. If one is corrupted or bad, it simply won't play or have playback problems. It cannot cause your NAS, PC, or Network problems otherwise. Ticking time bomb. Good grief.

Reactions: captain_video

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
So just have to say Plex is incredible and I should have jumped on this train earlier...I am in the process of backing up my dvds and blurays so I can store the disks I own and finally get 300-400 movies out of my living room. Whats crazy is the kids have watched older movies more then when the disks were sitting there due to them being able to just scroll through a list and push play (what they are use to now with streaming). I am very happy so far...I am using a combo handbrake and mkv to rip everything handbrake I am using dvds at fast 480p setting with auto passthrough on audio tracks, and then blurays I use handbrake on ones I really dont care about quality on and ripping at HQ 1080p with auto passthrough on audio. Ones that I want to squeeze everything i can out of I am using MKV and leaving them full size. My buddy had two suggestions

#1 Use handbrake on the mkv files and shrink them and I wont lose any quality (which if this is the case why not just rip them with handbrake at HQ 1080p and audio auto passthrough?)
#2. Rip dvds at 720p not 480p it does make a difference....Does it or am I just taking up storage space for nothing? Thanks all!!

Edit: content will be played in home only on 4k tvs and a 100" epson 4040 projector. Streamed via mix of nivida shield on projector and firesticks and tivo stream 4ks.
Your buddy doesn't understand how video works. Both of his suggestions are terrible.

For #1, using handbrake on the MKV files to "shrink" them is just recompressing them. You may as well do that when ripping them. It will definitely have some loss of quality. It's a lossy compression. It may still be good enough for you, but it's false that there would be no loss of quality.

For #2, DVDs are 480p (USA) and 576p (PAL). You cannot rip them at 720P. You could use software to upscale them from 480P to 720P, bloating the file size and adding data that doesn't otherwise exist. You'd never want to do this. You would gain no quality and only get larger file sizes.

It's possible your buddy meant Bluray not DVD for #2. That's just a guess. But if so, I'd consider that a poor call also. 720p is much worse quality than 1080p on a high quality display where you're sitting close enough to see the difference.

My suggestion is to not take any technical advice from whomever this buddy is.

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
One second... I want to check my calendar. Yup. Thought so. It IS 2021just like I thought. 12 TB USB 3.0 drives on sale for 175 bucks.

just rip lossless :)

Years ago I experimented with my Blu-ray rips... Used handbrake to compress a 30 GB file to 1 GB 720p. Scenes with little motion looked ok. But motion shots? Ruined the experience.

Anyone with a decent video system should rip lossless.

-T

Reactions: Endaar

·
Registered
822 Posts
Exactly what I thought, thanks all, so just to make sure

#1. Handbrake for dvd rip at 480p audio auto pass through
#2. MakeMKV For Bluray rip at full strength correct?

I am also using drive for plex recording off antenna but other then old shows we dont record much.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
@stuart628 you can use makeMKV to rip dvd lossless. They normally consume 4-8 GB each.

-T

Reactions: stuart628

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I'm not suggesting that piracy is ok, but man this is the biggest bunch of misinformation I've heard in ages. There is zero harm in putting video files from unknown sources on your home network. Absolutely zero harm. Zilch, none, nada. There's no possible way for it to be "a ticking time bomb". Video files are not executable files. They're just data files that are read and played back by other software that you already have and trust on your PC. If one is corrupted or bad, it simply won't play or have playback problems. It cannot cause your NAS, PC, or Network problems otherwise. Ticking time bomb. Good grief.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I did not read his comment as the video file Itself being the ticking time bomb.

I read his comment meaning the process of acquiring pirated material is the ticking time bomb... i.e. eventually leading to malware, ransomware, etc. The "unknown source" being connections to servers whose intentions could be nefarious.

-T

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would love to be able to purchase some titles in .mkv format. ripping them is complicated.

right now my Roku client doesn't play x265 files well with Plex, they all throw HDR flag.

If I enable forced direct play I get no audio.

maybe a shield makes more sense, would be nice to see a new one.

HTPC still works well without plex.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would love to be able to purchase some titles in .mkv format. ripping them is complicated.

right now my Roku client doesn't play x265 files well with Plex, they all throw HDR flag.

If I enable forced direct play I get no audio.

maybe a shield makes more sense, would be nice to see a new one.

HTPC still works well without plex.
I used to use JRiver Media center v.23 on the home theater pc for several years. The advantage of Plex is that there is a consistent user interface across any device. That's what I like about it most. And it's more family-friendly because they see an interface they are familiar with.

Besides the consistent interface across devices, JRiver Media center for me on my home theater PC worked very well.

Once I went with the shield pro 2019, my home theater PC only acts as a Plex server. It used to be a gaming rig too until I transitioned over to Xbox gaming in 2016.

I really like one device that plays all of my rips, including lossless Atmos and dts:x, and 4K streaming.

I didn't find ripping 4K now to be complicated. I just bought a UHD friendly drive, I downloaded a tool from the make MKV website which has a user interface on it and it's basically a couple of clicks of a button and it flashes the firmware to a suitable version. Ripping is as simple as popping in a 4K disc, selecting the title and the audio that you want and click on a button to save contents to disc.

-T

Reactions: m_snow

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I'm new to Live TV and DVR on Plex. I've run into an issue when I try to skip commercials. Whenever I try to use the skip, it gets hung up before actually skipping. My other half is asking why it keeps doing that. That's not a good thing when you're replaced something that was working flawlessly (OTA TiVo Bolt).

These are the specs I have on the computer running my Plex server. Does it just not have enough power to handle the job? When I got it a year ago, all it needed to do was host my Plex server. It was more than up to that task.

• Processor: Intel Core i3-5010U 2.1GHz
  • (Intel 5th Generation Core Processor)
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3L Ram
  • Storage: 120GB mSATA SSD (Solid State)
  • Video: Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • Intel IEEE 802.11ac, Dual Band Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 card
  • HDMI plus Mini DisplayPort Outputs (Supports dual displays)
  • 4 x USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Lan
  • Headphone Jack with Microphone
  • VESA mounting Bracket is Not Included
  • AC Power Adapter and Power Cord Included
Operating System
  • Genuine Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Condition
  • Refurbished GigaByte Brix Ultra Mini PC

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I'm new to Live TV and DVR on Plex. I've run into an issue when I try to skip commercials. Whenever I try to use the skip, it gets hung up before actually skipping. My other half is asking why it keeps doing that. That's not a good thing when you're replaced something that was working flawlessly (OTA TiVo Bolt).

These are the specs I have on the computer running my Plex server. Does it just not have enough power to handle the job? When I got it a year ago, all it needed to do was host my Plex server. It was more than up to that task.

• Processor: Intel Core i3-5010U 2.1GHz
  • (Intel 5th Generation Core Processor)
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3L Ram
  • Storage: 120GB mSATA SSD (Solid State)
  • Video: Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • Intel IEEE 802.11ac, Dual Band Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 card
  • HDMI plus Mini DisplayPort Outputs (Supports dual displays)
  • 4 x USB 3.0
  • Gigabit Lan
  • Headphone Jack with Microphone
  • VESA mounting Bracket is Not Included
  • AC Power Adapter and Power Cord Included
Operating System
  • Genuine Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Condition
  • Refurbished GigaByte Brix Ultra Mini PC
IMO, the processor and Video card are lower than I'd put in a HTPC, and the memory is borderline. I've never actually done tests tho, so YMMV.

The best thing to do would be to open up the Task Manager, expand it to show a longer period of time, and try the things that you're thinking make it hang. If one of them spikes, that's your culprit...

2961 - 2980 of 2989 Posts