AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some iPhone Plex remotes. I downloaded Boxee, Plex and XMBC remote and Plexures. the problem is they both want some network settings to connect. I am not much of a network guy. Where do I find things like the IP, username and host?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 /forum/post/19633339

I was looking at some iPhone Plex remotes. I downloaded Boxee, Plex and XMBC remote and Plexures. the problem is they both want some network settings to connect. I am not much of a network guy. Where do I find things like the IP, username and host?

Hi,

I use Rowmote Pro (can handle boxee, Plex, XBMC etc.), boxee remote (boxee only), XBMC remote (XBMC only - I haven't tried to control Plex with it) and Plex (Plex only). None of them required much setup.

Rowmote requires a helper app (OS X only, I assume you run a Mac), the others need only to be on the same WiFi network, provided you allow HTTP access in the settings. I'm not a network guy either and had no issues whatsoever.

Cheers,

Attila

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still setting up my HTPC and was wanting to test things on the cheap so I was trying some of the free remotes. If my setup works the way I would like I don't have a problem paying for a remote. Also the Plexures remote looked interesting and would like to try it even if I end up going with a paid remote.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more investigating last night. I happened to have the MacPro connected to the network via WiFi and the remotes I was trying to use found the the server. They still would not control Plex until I found that I had sharing security turned on with no username. I turned that off and everything worked. It wasn't until I was in bed that I realized that the MacPro was not wired. I will try tonight wiring the computer and turning airport off.

By the way Plexures is a little slow and I could not find an esc key so moving back through menus was difficult.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanna /forum/post/19661741

I use Mobile Mouse and it works fine with Plex. You can also use it to control your mac in general. It requires you to install a small app on your Mac and it connect though WiFi.

I find this app very good. I also have a plex app and boxee app. Not impressed with the boxee app and the plex app lacks functionality if you ask me. I was using all these on my ipad via wifi also.

Now what I use, my harmony remote as I found plex has sweet harmony remote support

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofice /forum/post/19664035

Now what I use, my harmony remote as I found plex has sweet harmony remote support

I am assuming you are using a mini next to your TV so you can run an IR remote or am I missing something? I will be using a MacPro in another room to serve Plex.

I did get my remotes to work with the MacPro wired and the airport turned off. I don't know why I had some many problems before getting the remotes to detect Plex but it seems to work now. Now just waiting for Christmas to get an the paraphernalia to connect the computer to the TV and get a tuner to record.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Steve, I'm not sure what he's talking about, but there are a bunch of good apps that would allow you to start and control Plex on a Mac Pro from an iOS device as long as both are on the same network, wired or wireless, doesn't matter. Snatch and Rowmote Pro both do Plex perfectly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure what my problem was when trying to get the remotes to work but I had changed my computer from wireless to wired and they started working. Now it doesn't matter if my computer is connected to the network wireless or wired. The iPhone is connected to the network wireless of course. So no the iphone is not connecting directly to the computer via airport but through a router. Search the app store for remotes. I have been playing with some free ones and they work pretty well.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 /forum/post/19677476

I am assuming you are using a mini next to your TV so you can run an IR remote or am I missing something? I will be using a MacPro in another room to serve Plex.

I did get my remotes to work with the MacPro wired and the airport turned off. I don't know why I had some many problems before getting the remotes to detect Plex but it seems to work now. Now just waiting for Christmas to get an the paraphernalia to connect the computer to the TV and get a tuner to record.

Yeah I have my mac mini in my tv stand, just turned on harmony support within plex and only when plex is open, my harmony works with the mac
Works great within plex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.