AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Noticed that also, it mentions that you only need the most current versions of the android and ios apps but there was also a PMS update available so I went ahead and updated that as well.

It's funny cause I just discovered yesterday that the Bubble UPnP android app is able to stream local network content to the chromecast for free so long as you cast it over in its native format (no transcoding) and the chromecast is able to support . Bubble UPnP is able to access PMS so I was able to cast MP4 no problem, MKV had video but no audio. For $4.69 you can get Bubble UPnP Server for transcoding and the reviews looked promising.

Guess now it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Works a treat. Been waiting for this for ages (I'm not a Plexpass subscriber!), so to finally have this feature is great.

I own Bubble, and while that does work, it doesn't have the full Plex interface. Allcast also works (sort of) using Plex as a DLNA server, but again, it's not as good to look at. I did manually upgrade PMS to the latest version as well, as the auto-upgrade feature doesn't seem to be working now (many have reported this).

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Great feature! Works very well from my limited testing. I just really wish google would release an another Chromecast with a few more features like analog/SPDIF audio and ethernet.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571  /t/1522561/plex-on-chromecast-free-for-all-as-of-yesterday#post_24485371

Great feature! Works very well from my limited testing. I just really wish google would release an another Chromecast with a few more features like analog/SPDIF audio and ethernet.

Incorporating S/PDIF and ethernet wouldn't fit with what Google are trying to achieve. It would become a much more bulky device, and lose its plug'n'play features. If you want those outputs, go for a Roku. I've got two Roku 2 XS's, and they have both these ports.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247  /t/1522561/plex-on-chromecast-free-for-all-as-of-yesterday#post_24490394

Incorporating S/PDIF and ethernet wouldn't fit with what Google are trying to achieve. It would become a much more bulky device, and lose its plug'n'play features. If you want those outputs, go for a Roku. I've got two Roku 2 XS's, and they have both these ports.

I totally get that, but I wonder whether other manufacturers can make Chromecast devices. I could see Sony, Samusng, LG, etc. making such a device.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571  /t/1522561/plex-on-chromecast-free-for-all-as-of-yesterday#post_24490508

I totally get that, but I wonder whether other manufacturers can make Chromecast devices. I could see Sony, Samusng, LG, etc. making such a device.

Anyone can; they would make a 'Google Cast' device. Chromecast is just Google's 'Google Cast' device.

https://developers.google.com/cast/

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if there were other manufacturers looking at 'cast devices, but I still can't see anyone adding external ports for devices of that form factor. You're already moving up to Roku size devices if you include those, and your costs will start to creep up. If you want to compete with the Chromecast, you have to hit a similar price point, or at least have some killer features that warrant a higher cost.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The simplicity of the Chromecast is the key. When was the last time you installed an app on your Chromecast? (Crickets)

If it's as simple as reengineering your app to cast to this device and updating said app on your tablet or smartphone, then sky's the limit.

I'm telling you guys, get your kids involved with the Chromecast and their mobile devices and you will see its simplicity shine through.

Adding extra ports defeats the purpose and increases the price.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Have to agree about the simplicity and how well it works. Played my Avatar 1080p HD Audio rip to my chromecast connected straight to an old Panasonic RPLCD (what can I say still throws an awesome image) and it played it flawlessly. If you want more out of the chromecast you can connect it directly to a receiver with HDMI inputs and get 5.1 out of it.

Good info about chromecast here .

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
For Android Users, the developers of "Remote Media Center" have added Chromecast support. I abandoned this app when I began working with Plex but never uninstalled it from my Nexus 5. You will need Version 2.333.43 of Remote Potato Installed on your PC for this to work.

I still use Remote Potato for managing recordings on the go via both Android and IOS but I've moved onto HomeRunTV for live TV Streaming on the Nexus 7 which is much more stable (in my experience) compared to InstaTV. InstaTV works perfect on my Ipad however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts