AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
If it is possible to point all your Kodi implementations to a SQL database, that's new to me. No surprise, I've only been playing with it for a few months, and not all that much at that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have been testing Emby using my current Kodi setup. Although it's a large powerful PC, I'm thinking that if I take this current PC and run it as a server and then buy something like a Raspberry PI for Kodi with Emby that would be perfect.

But at the same time I'm still wondering if other devices are more suitable such as Android TV or Roku...

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Works for me without a SQL DB. I only have a server and 1 "client" so maybe that's why, but I was pleasantly surprised to have this work, not that I use it very often.
You mean you've only got one Kodi install? Yeah that works fine for me to, I think the issue here is syncing watched status between multiple Kodi instances.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You mean you've only got one Kodi install? Yeah that works fine for me to, I think the issue here is syncing watched status between multiple Kodi instances.
No, 2 systems. One in the basement running WMC + Kodi (with ServerWMC) that does all my DVR work as well as serving as HTPC for the projector. Then I have another system in the living room running only Kodi that is also set up to access the Recorded TV folder on the basement system and live TV for the living room LCD display. I was surprised when it worked, so I had to test it out and it does. I should clarify, this is for resuming a show after I've stopped it, i.e. stop watching a show in the basement then later on when I select the show from the living room system, I'm prompted to resume from that point. I've never paused a show on one and tried to resume immediately on the other.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I bet that's got something to do with ServerWMC, Kodi doesn't share watched status amongst itself, two installs (without MySQL) are entirely separate and know nothing about each other. I bet if you try the same thing with imported media it won't work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe I am just getting sick of Kodi? Want something new... I like Kodi overall but I think it's just behind both Plex and Emby (which I just checked out). It's open source yes but it's also not as streamlined and does have quite a bit of bugs with their plugins.
It is a bit unfair to blame the plugins that you are using on Kodi. The ones that you mentioned are unofficial which the Kodi team doesn't support.

Why a x86 at every TV? I thought in this forum, unlike all others, the answer would be obvious: speed and quality. I love that I can watch my entire blu-ray collection at full resolution, with HD audio wherever I want, whenever I want. I love that my system boots in seconds, is instantly accessible, has gorgeous menus and transitions and has a UI that no other commercial setup can offer. Yes, Plex is locked down just like Apple gear, but so what? It does the things I need it to do, and it does it seamlessly. This is just like the android/iOS debate, android does a ton more things with dubious stability, while iOS does fewer things but does those well.

I have tried XBMC/Kodi at various iterations, I never got it to play well with my stuff. For instance, their metadata scrubbers wouldn't pick up some of my media (and it wasnt obscure anime stuff either). Kodi just has *too* many options; while plex has a couple of scrubbers and works right away, every time. Kodi will not replace WMC and let me watch every channel. Kodi has no central server capability. I know there's a plex/xbmc intermediate thing, but again, its some plug-in that may/may not work all the time, and I'd find out that it doesnt work at some future date when I have friends over to show off my system and end up with egg on my face. I am not an endless tinkerer. I dont want to have to turn on each tv and constantly wonder which plug-in didnt load or what needs updating. I want to have it set up one time and just enjoy the media, versus fretting over my setup and constantly playing around with settings. A lot of people here love to play with the settings and controls more than they enjoy watching their content. That's totally fine, i'm just not one of those people. There's no commercial system that can rival my current setup, if there was, I'd have gladly bought into that instead. getting to this point was hard enough. If Kodi/Jriver/Emby start supporting NAS server builds I'm happy to perhaps try it out in the future. Until then, its a moot point because I am not adding yet another computer into the chain, just one more thing that can go wrong or that I'd have to keep up with.

When I was planning the system and what I wanted out of it, I identified two main goals: Be able to completely replace a whole house DVR cable system, and watch my own personal media library at any TV around the house. The only way to do this is by putting an x86 box at each TV. All the cheap stuff comes up short in some way. Xbox 360 extenders will do HBO Go, netflix, comcast ondemand and let me watch tv, but its so unbelievably slow, and wont work with Plex, or let me stream my stuff. In my setup, the NAS runs PMS and uses 50 watts and each computer when operating uses 10, max. I get perfect video and HD audio, any time I want. Hopefully windows 10 comes out with WMC support, and developers build IR-supported netflix, hbo go, etc clients. That would be the ultimate set top box, but until then I'm cool with limiting streaming sticks use just for what they were meant for: services like netflix and hbo go.
The Raspberry Pi 2 is able to play my full bluray iso rips. It also boots up in seconds and uses 2 watts of power. However, I only play local media with it and I do not use the addons that have been mentioned here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've been testing out Emby Server on Windows and the Windows 8.1 client app. I'm loving the look of the Media Browser windows app and Windows 8 would make a very sleek HTPC setup. I think I'm going to go that route. Plus I can add additional apps from Windows to the home screen.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
It is a bit unfair to blame the plugins that you are using on Kodi. The ones that you mentioned are unofficial which the Kodi team doesn't support.

The Raspberry Pi 2 is able to play my full bluray iso rips. It also boots up in seconds and uses 2 watts of power. However, I only play local media with it and I do not use the addons that have been mentioned here.
I'm certainly not blaming Kodi for its plug-in support. But if not for the plug-ins, whats whats the difference between the two? Not much, except that Plex is centralized and Kodi is not. The core Kodi application does not have better/more advanced video/audio options or some killer feature that Plex does not. It does have a very large database of plug-ins, but all the ones I want arent 'set it and forget it', so what good is it? I don't want to tinker. I'd rather have limited functionality in Plex that's been tested and works rather than the promise of functionality that either doesn't live up to the hype or works in an unreliable manner.

the new RPI may function as a blu-ray player, but cannot and will not ever replace windows media center to function as a cable tv dvr. Someday when IPTV's picture quality is stable, reliable, and rivals a linear cable stream and there are no bandwidth caps I'd have to worry about, I'll consider ditching my cable system but until that day, I'm stuck within the confines of WMC when I want to watch TV, which means all other streaming stick options are off the table.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm certainly not blaming Kodi for its plug-in support. But if not for the plug-ins, whats whats the difference between the two? Not much, except that Plex is centralized and Kodi is not. The core Kodi application does not have better/more advanced video/audio options or some killer feature that Plex does not. It does have a very large database of plug-ins, but all the ones I want arent 'set it and forget it', so what good is it? I don't want to tinker. I'd rather have limited functionality in Plex that's been tested and works rather than the promise of functionality that either doesn't live up to the hype or works in an unreliable manner.

the new RPI may function as a blu-ray player, but cannot and will not ever replace windows media center to function as a cable tv dvr. Someday when IPTV's picture quality is stable, reliable, and rivals a linear cable stream and there are no bandwidth caps I'd have to worry about, I'll consider ditching my cable system but until that day, I'm stuck within the confines of WMC when I want to watch TV, which means all other streaming stick options are off the table.
Kodi is more for local content (without the addons). I do not like the server idea with Plex. Plus the visual simplicity / customization of Kodi, and the options to tinker, keep me using Kodi. I do use OTA, not cable, so I am not limited to WMC, My setup is as follows.

Main TV
Chromebox running Kodi with MythTV backend recording to NAS from OTA (HDHomeRun)
Secondary TVs
2x Raspberry Pi2s and 1 Fire TV stick. Each can play the live content (MPEG2 license required) as well as the recorded programs.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
so I can extract a Blu-ray ISO with a program like makeMKV and the x86 kodi client will send a 3D signal in such a way that my tv will auto detect it as 3d? This is something that I have not, as yet, gotten Plex to do. I have extracted movies as MKVs and named them correctly, but Plex does not give any indication that it is a recognized 3D file and therefore my TV doesn't detect it as 3D. If Kodi does do it, that may be a reason for me try it again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
so I can extract a Blu-ray ISO with a program like makeMKV and the x86 kodi client will send a 3D signal in such a way that my tv will auto detect it as 3d? This is something that I have not, as yet, gotten Plex to do. I have extracted movies as MKVs and named them correctly, but Plex does not give any indication that it is a recognized 3D file and therefore my TV doesn't detect it as 3D. If Kodi does do it, that may be a reason for me try it again.
NO a HTPC will not play a MKV MVC 3D File without an External Player called Stereoscopic, But the Rasberry PI2 version of Openelec(Kodi) will because the PI2 has MVC support built in.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
NO a HTPC will not play a MKV MVC 3D File without an External Player called Stereoscopic, But the Rasberry PI2 version of Openelec(Kodi) will because the PI2 has MVC support built in.
well that was the only feature I really want at this point since plex wont play 3d mvc files either. I can use powerdvd but it's clumsier than plex xbmc since I have to manually load an iso for it to work.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
While the Pi2 (and in the future whatever other devices that can use their own MVC decoders) can play MVC MKV files, the GUI will still be off without toggling 3D in the gui

So to the "auto-switch" question, the answer will likely be no for a while. In fact, the early openelec MVC support in the Pi2 would work if you switched to SBS. I am not sure of it's current state, but auto switching is probably a ways off

Also, Plex plays these just like most every other player will and just renders the left eye @ 1080p. Like you probably already noticed, PDVD will only display the left eye @1080p and 3D upconvert that unless the format is ISO. They won't add 3D into plex until kodi does it first and they fork that version of kodi for their next version of PHT. They still haven't forked Gotham or Helix, as PHT is currently just a Frodo fork, so maybe they are just waiting on more 3D support?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Also, Plex plays these just like most every other player will and just renders the left eye @ 1080p. Like you probably already noticed, PDVD will only display the left eye @1080p and 3D upconvert that unless the format is ISO.
Can you explain this a little better? I know almost nothing about 3D so that sentence doesn't make sense to me. I have played a 3D ISO in PDVD, I had to push the "enable 3D" button on the console before my TV recognized the 3D signal but then it seemed to be 3D. Are you saying that was upconverted 3D? or are you saying that a mkv extracted from a 3D blu-ray iso or disc would be displayed as a " left eye @1080p and 3D upconvert" ?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
3D ISO should be correct in pdvd. While it plays the mkv format without issue in 2D, pdvd doesn't appropriately play MVC MKV files. It plays the left eye in 2D, and if you ask it to play 3D it does a software conversion to "fake 3D" in the sense that it would with any normal 2D content. Why it treats mkv and iso differently has never really been explained, just a known fact (well, to those that know)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I bet that's got something to do with ServerWMC, Kodi doesn't share watched status amongst itself, two installs (without MySQL) are entirely separate and know nothing about each other. I bet if you try the same thing with imported media it won't work.
Could be, although I'd guess it's the client that's doing the work since the server isn't involved in playing back recorded shows. And you're right, it doesn't happen with non-DVR media.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts