AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm a front projector newbie, armed with an HS20, and looking for a screen. As a temporary solution I tacked up three vertical strips of 36" wide plotter paper to use as a screen while I evaluate screen material samples. To my surprise, except for the seams, this stuff looks pretty good! It is quite comparable to matte white 1.0 gain screen samples, but actually has a smoother surface. After a little investigation I found you can buy heavyweight (35lb), matte finish white plotter paper in 60" width. This would be suitable for making a 110" 16:9 screen without any seams. Does anyone have an opinion as why this would not be a good idea?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Sounds like you just found another great material. All of the DIY stuff

ends up around ~1.0 gain - BO cloth, Parkland...etc. but most have

a width limitation of around 4', so finding a 5' width is a great addition

to the DIY screen stock.

Any www links on supplies?

update: here is a very interesting one.

http://www.encad.com/Media/Films/WR-...atte/index.asp

b2b

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
good idea as long as it's not too glossy. Very inexpensive!

the downside is there are better materials available. But will do the equivilent of a matte white screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is HP inkjet plotter paper. You can buy it directly from HP or from several places on the web. Search for C6977C. It comes in a 100 foot roll. List price is $98.99/roll. The cheapest I've found it is about $80 from several sources. One roll would make about 12, 110" diag. screens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first screen was a horizontal 36" piece of bond paper, worked great for 2.35 movies (85" wide) until the masking tape started coming loose.

Before buying a 100' roll, it would be a good idea to call around to local print shops, I don't know how common it is to stock 60" but if they have it they'll sell it to you cut to any length you want.

The main drawback is that it is just paper. It's pretty flimsy, and unless you're pretty careful, it will rapidy get bent, creased and torn, just trying to move it around and put it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My first screen was made from a piece 60" bond plotter paper. I made a post before asking if anyone had ever used it. It is flat white - no gloss at all. The projected image was good. The paper worked pretty well until it became creased and torn from taking it down to paint the room. I agree with Al, it is not very durable. Also, there is no good way to clean it if it gets dirty.

Maybe, just for the fun of it, I'll take a piece home and make a comparison to Parkland Plastic.

In addition to creasing, a large piece (5 x 8ft) tears under it's own weight. To be used for any period of time, it should be bonded to something like a sheet of masonite. Since I have some 3M Formula 77 spray adhesive at home, I could also check to see if a light coat of this will work. You could also wrab the backing panel and stable or tape on the backside.

I work for a large engineering firm that can afford to have a 60" plotter. Many print shops do not 60" plotters. Unless you are in a larger city, you may have trouble finding this size. Look in the yellow pages under blue prints. If they charge you the same price they do for regular plots, have them make you a black border.

Bernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bernie, do you know what paper weight you used? Standard bond paper is only 20lb. The stuff I am talking about is a much heavier grade. It is meant for creating posters. I wonder if it would have the same problems. My idea is to anchor the top edge with thumbtacks every six inches. I think this would provide adequate support. The sides and bottom would also use tacks to keep the paper flat. What do you think?

BTW, I'm not worried about durability or ease of cleaning. This is a mount and forget type of installation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can check for weight and other specifics when I am at work tommorow. It's not the same paper we use for presentation grade graphics. That paper is heavier and has a bit of gloss to it. It is also considerably more expensive. In the 60" width, we probably have 3 or 4 kinds of paper. I'll identify the one I used and any others that appear to be suitable.

The piece I used before was taped. I have plaster walls and they do not take thumb tacks easily. Most tearing occured because the tape would lose adhesion to the painted wall and come lose. This in turn allowed the paper to fold over and rip. If you can tack the perimeter every foot and have someone help you out, you should be ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
pbfoote,

We have 4 papers that may work:

1. Xerox Performance Bond - this is a 24 lb flat, bright white paper used for inkjet platting. We did not have any packages so I do not know the re order number for 60" width. For 36" width, the reorder number is 3R6494. This paper probably has the highest gain.

2. HP Basic Coated Paper - this is another bond inkjet paper. Flat. This appears to be a little lighter weight and less opaque than the Performance Bond. I would say this is more susceptible to tearing. Also it is not a bright white paper - just white. Reorder number for 60" is C2885A.

3. HP Basic Heavyweight Coated Paper - A heavier and more opaque version of 2 above. Less susceptible to tearing but less sucepible to tearing. May also be heavier than performance bond. Reorder number for 60" is C7927A.

4. HP Basic High Gloss Photo Paper - The back side of this paper may be suitable. The front side is glossy and unsuitable. It is probably the heaviest. I don't know what the reorder number is. Would not recommend as this is fairly expensive paper and probably does not offer any significant advantage as a screen material other then it's heavier weight.

My recommendation would be the Performance Bond or Basic Heavyweight Coated Paper. Base your selection on what gain you are trying to obtain. I suspect most blueprinters offer at least a lighweight and heavyweight bond paper.

Bernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Bernie. Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to hear the coating doesn't cause a gloss on the HP Basic coated papers. According to HP, C7927A is 32lb paper, so it is a little heavier than performance bond. C6977C is essentially a premium bright white version of C7927A in 35lb weight. It sounds like it might have a gain greater than 1. I think either one is a contender. C7927A runs about $50/roll so it is the cheapest.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have used a plotter sheet in the past as well, stretched over a wooden frame. After a few weeks the paper lost its stretch and became wavy and wrinkled. Maybe its because the relatively high humidity in my area.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hey guys,

i'm a graphic designer and use a variety of large format printing media everyday, we can print & mount up to 60" wide. you can get 60" material in almost any finish-matte, satin, luster, glossy, canvas, mylar, etc.

As a matter of fact, a co-worker and i, both front pj enthusiasts, are about to experiment with a few shades of grey, mixed on the desktop instead of a paint bucket, and printed on a hi quality large format printer. We have all professional grade software to create custom colors.

She is previewing a sharp pga-10x, and searching for a screen solution. I'm waiting on the dt-200 or a 4805 and trying to figure out my screen solution as well.

The one thing we can do that others may have a problem with is mount the print to a 4x8 sheet of foamcore/gatorboard or any other substrate up to 1.5" thick. 5x10 sheets are also available.

This may be interesting because of the ease in "hand mixing" of a variety of tints/greys, not to mention the ease of hitting the print button instead of hours in a cold garage, throwing the print on the wall for instant results.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

rudee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.