AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

Been away a long time (everything on my HTPC has been stable for over 2yrs) AMD 3200 running MCE 2k5, 400w antec power, 6800 Nvidia (AGP) card feeding 58" panny plasma. Wifey was dowloading from netflix, "says" she turned it off with normal shutdown, but now, when powered on, the light comes on, as do fans, but nada on the screen. I tried switching to vga to a CRT monitor, still nada. (haven't tried using the mobo vid output, I'll try that tonight).

I originally presumed HDD failure (have a WD Caviar 300g as primary,with a Seagate 250g as secondary), but wouldn't I still get SOMETHING on screen if it was a HDD failure?

Fan on the 6800 spins, but not sure if its the problem, or the mobo, or the power supply, any sagacious advice, oh wise ones?

Thanx for any help,

Joel

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes, you don't need a hard drive in the pc to get video post. If it was me, I'd open it up, and pull the memory and video card. If all is well with the motherboard, it should give you a series of beeps upon power up. If so, put the memory back in, turn it on and see if you get any video from the onboard card. If so, put the 6800 back in and try again.

If you don't get any beeps when there's no memory installed, something may have fried - you can try reseating the CPU, but more likely the motherboard blew a capacitor or something

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanx Brian, I'll try that when I get home from work. When you say pull the memory, are you talking RAM or the HDD's? And when I pull the vid card, should I try hooking a monitor to the mobo? Assuming the worst, and I get no beeps, then does it narrow it to the mobo? If that is dust, not sure whether I should just scrap the whole thing or just replace the mobo, the machine was nice and stable for a few years, hate to have to toss it.

Thanx again,

Cheers,

Joel

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16921011

cool, thanx Brian, I'll try that when I get home from work. When you say pull the memory, are you talking RAM or the HDD's? And when I pull the vid card, should I try hooking a monitor to the mobo? Assuming the worst, and I get no beeps, then does it narrow it to the mobo? If that is dust, not sure whether I should just scrap the whole thing or just replace the mobo, the machine was nice and stable for a few years, hate to have to toss it.

Thanx again,

Cheers,

Joel

By memory I mean RAM, but its best to start with the lowest number of variables so I'd disconnect the hard drives / DVD drives as well.

Yes, I believe you stated you have onboard video as well as the Nvidia card, so after the Nvidia is pulled out, see if you get any video output when connected to the onboard video (after you've put the ram back in, you won't get a video post without any ram)

If you don't get any beeps with only the CPU attached to the motherboard, then chances are pretty good there's an issue with the board itself. Of course you should check all connections to the motherboard to confirm they are all still tight.

If it appears the the board is bad, the rest of your hardware is old enough that IMO, its not worth it to try and repair / replace - I'd get new a new motherboard, ram, CPU, and either a decent onboard GPU, or a newer video card.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx, if beeps, then its not the mobo, and I can move on to power supply, or vid card? I guess its not the HDD, since I'd still get something onscreen, rt?

Thanx again for your help, this forum is a great resource.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Which mobo is it? I ask because some mobos do not have an onboard speaker and if you don't install one there will be no beeps. Clear the CMOS, this will set the onboard video card as the default video device. Hook the monitor to the onboard video and see if you get anything on the screen when booting. If that works then you can reinstall the add on video card. You might have to access the bios to change a setting to enable the add on video card and to get it working.

BB

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx BB, but if I have no screen response at all, how do I clear the CMOS? The mobo is an Asis, I think 974 or something, but I'll check. I cant' recall if there's that little onboard speaker or not. And just to clarify, I dont get a prompt, splash screen or NADA, just the power light and fans going on.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, pulled RAM, HDD's and vid card, powered up, and no response. I'm now considering whether to rebuild or just buy a generic, pre-made new box. I'm a non-gamer, and this box would be for recording QAM tv, ripping DVD's, and playing movies. Any suggestions on whether to build my own or just buy generic?

I've noticed the onboard video/audio seems to be quite advanced and sufficient for DVD/TV playback, which is all I'll really be doing. I have a HDHR, and analog tuners (PCI). Should I just buy a cheap dual-core box, with DVI or HDMI output and SPDIF, or do I need a faster core? Again, no gaming, just streaming netflix, ripping DVD's and time-shifting QAM recording. Thanx again for any input, I'm reading a ton of new info, things have changed a lot in the 2 years I've been away. . ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since you had a fully functioning system up until a shut down leads me to believe it's probably your PS that may be dying (it has enough in it to run w/o heavy load, but when you boot up, the simultaneous draw on board, fans, HDDs, etc makes your PS choke).

Try disconnecting all power cables (except the ones that go to your mobo), including power that goes to your HDD, CD/DVD drive, etc. and definitely try to boot w/ your onboard vid by removing the vid card installed. If you have "extra" fans running, unplug those too (except cpu fan).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Clearing the cmos is motherboard specific. You have not posted your PC specs. How to clear cmos will be in the manual, but usually there is a "clear CMOS" jumper or you can remove the RTC battery and wait a while for the capacitors etc to discharge, then reinsert the battery. It seems like a waste to buy a new PC for what might be a very minor problem like a $0 PSU. Post your pc specs.

BB

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
$0=$40

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, cool, thanx. Its a D-vine home theater case, 400w Antec SL400, the mobo is an Asus K8V deluxe. Unfortunately, the onboard vid is EGA? 9 pin, and I don't have an adapter, so I can't check it without the vid card. The PSU actually would make sense, since I have noticed every other time or so on powering on, the light would blink, but the box wouldn't boot. However, the case fans and CPU fan still still when I try to power up, but nothing else happens.

I appreciate the comment about tossing the whole system without trying each component, but I was afraid it was the mobo to start with. the PSU would be an easy fix, no?

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16927790

OK, cool, thanx. Its a D-vine home theater case, 400w Antec SL400, the mobo is an Asus K8V deluxe. Unfortunately, the onboard vid is EGA? 9 pin, and I don't have an adapter, so I can't check it without the vid card. The PSU actually would make sense, since I have noticed every other time or so on powering on, the light would blink, but the box wouldn't boot. However, the case fans and CPU fan still still when I try to power up, but nothing else happens.

I appreciate the comment about tossing the whole system without trying each component, but I was afraid it was the mobo to start with. the PSU would be an easy fix, no?

I'm confused, I thought you said in an earlier post that you pulled the 6800 video card and tried the onboard, but now it appears you're saying you're unable to do that and have to use the slot video card? If that's the case, how do you know its not the video card that's bad rather than the PSU? Unless you can take the parts back for a refund, I wouldn't start purchasing replacements until you're certain which part(s) have failed. If you're unable to test with the onboard video, do you have a spare video card or can you borrow one from a friend to swap with your 6800?

In my own experiences, when a PSU dies, it plain dies - doesn't turn on at all. In cases where I was drawing too much current for the PSU to handle, it the system would post (I'd get video) and then it would shut down. Not ruling out the PSU, but IMO the more likely culprit is the video card - when you say you don't have an adapter, a VGA connection is 15 pin - 9 pin would be a serial connection. Are you certain that motherboard has onboard video? Judging from this screenshot, it doesn't.... http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1532

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Brian, thanx for chiming in again. Yep, thats my mobo, and I guess you're right, no onboard vid (I thought the 9 pin was just an old female vga). Since the vid card is AGP, and I don't have anything other than PCI vid cards, I think I'm stuck there. I'm probably gonna be stuck with the $70 diagnostic at Frys, but maybe its worth it for them to check my mobo, PSU, vid card and HDD's, unless someone else has another idea. With no video out, I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I have a zalman fan on my 6800 gt, which spins on power up, the DVD checks up, and it feels like the HDD is energized, but again, nada, which COULD be the vid card, but wouldn't I get a beep or something from the mobo? I tried removing the watch battery for about 5 mins, then replaced, but still nothing on power up again.

Any/all thoughts appreciated,

cheers,

Joel

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
EGA YUK! And VIA chipset YUK YUK! That is an old mobo with a socket 754 so definitely not worth spending anything on it. Nice case and PSU (if it is OK). So now it is back to either the PSU or mobo. Diagnosing a failing PSU is difficult (it is easy if it has totally failed). Based on this new info, I think your initial instinct was correct, you are probably better off to buy a new mobo 780G with onboard video and a low power cpu and memory. The whole works should cost about $150. Install them if they work great if they don't get a new psu and you will have a new PC for about $200. If you can borrow a psu and swap it out you can check if it is the psu or buy one, but you probably won't be able to return it.

BB

edit: cross posting with brianley I had an Antec PSU that would not run one mobo but worked perfectly on another but that same mobo would work on a different psu. I contacted Antec for advice and they RMA'd the psu saying that it was in the process of failing. Sure enough when I removed it to send back to Antec, I could detect a faint "burnt wiring" odor if I stuck my nose in the psu outlet. The replacement worked perfectly so it was indeed a "failing psu"

Sure enough, that old mobo has no onboard video, it is a serial port.

I question whether it is even worth $50 to diagnose. Put it towards a new mobo, cpu and memory then if you need a psu spend the $50 on a new one.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx BB, I know the mobo is older, is replacing the mobo and CPU better than buying a video card? I do HD playback at 1080p, I know a card with dedicated memory takes the burden off the CPU, but if I'm running the vid off the mobo, does that suck up processor speed?

Also, If the power turns the case and vid fans on, does that rule out the PSU? I just found an AGP card on Newegg with HDMI and DVI for $50, but that would suck if it was the mobo or PSU. without onboard vid, I don't think there's a way o diagnose the mobo or PSU, and no one I know has an AGP card to borrow (I have a PCI-e vid card, but that won't work, right?)

Thanx again, sorry for so many stupid Q's.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, further clues. Forgot I had an AGP card in my old, old P1 out on the patio. Replaced the vid card with the an acient AGP (but it works), and still nothing. Rules out the vid card, so must be either the mobo or PSU. I'm at the point now where I think I'll just ditch the mobo and CPU, go onboard with HDMI, gigabit lan and SPDIF. I guess my vid card, sound card and gigabit PCI cards can all hit the trash.

IF this sounds like the most logical path, then I'll need mobo, cpu, ram and maybe a PSU, correct? Any recs?

(and yes, my lady is pissed I'm geeking out on a Sat night, hope you all aren't under the gun too ;-)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm very confused, why do you have a spare pcie video card? Do you have another PC? If so you could pull out the PSU and see if it will boot this one. If it does then you need a new psu. And for the price of a new psu you are back in business. If it doesn't then it is either the mobo or video card or cpuso you will need to replace them.

And like I said, one of the 780G mobos will fit your need and play your HD recordings perfectly.

BB

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or, do I buy a new PSU before I buy everything else, to see if thats all I needed? Replacing a PSU and/or mobo both seem a bit daunting for a newby like me, but I guess challenges are good. . . .

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, yeah, I'm sorry, I have two other computers, I was only thinking of the video cards. . .. Is it a major ordeal to swap a power supply? I have a 300w atx in the old machine that might work, if I don't screw it up.

The mass of wires looks physically daunting, but if its not going to work either way, I have nothing to lose by trying to disconnect it all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts