AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm in the market for a used budget sub for my intro home theatre setup. I'm not an audiophile and have a very tight budget. I currently have the following:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-818V

Speakers: Leftover front, center and rear surrounds from Onkyo HT-R340 HtiB

Sub: None at the moment (Pioneer requires active sub, Onkyo is passive)

I've been looking on craigslist and have found the following subs in my $100 price range:

Polk PSW350 for $95

Infinity Entra 2 12" for $100

KLH ASW10-120b for $40

Velodyne CHT-10 for $100

and

Package deal with Kenwood receiver and JBL 3' tall fronts, a center and a subwoofer for $125. Model #s not given but maybe someone will recognize them.

So what do you guys think? Some of these may not be available, but assuming they all are, which ones should I go for and in what order? My main use of the system is for watching TV and movies. I very rarely use the system to listen to music.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A quick update:

I'm told that the JBL speakers in the picture are HLS620 Series with PB-10 Sub. I would have to assume these would be a step up from the Onkyo speakers that came with the HTiB setup, right? So perhaps I can step up to a powered sub AND improve my front and center speaker situation? And if I turn around and sell the Kenwood receiver for $50 then I'm only out $50.

Would this be a decent sounding budget setup?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, 80 views not a single opinion.

No biggie. I went with the package deal. Got the JBL fronts, center, sub and Kenwood receiver for $100. The speakers are in pristine condition and sound great to my ears - definitely a step above the HTiB ones that came with the Onkyo system. And after I sell the Kenwood receiver it'll only have cost me around $50. I think I made out pretty well today.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you are happy that's all that should matter. Don't know anything about the other ones, but I remember a review in home theater magazine about the velodyne. Budget sub, but still a decent performer at the price. Sorry no one got back to you in time, but it seems you got a good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.