AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question in Kef owners and got some suggestions but some look like they need a bracket on the top. which means I need to drill it to the speaker top which I dont want to. I want to use the bracket that comes with the speaker. So please tell me what you guys are using for ceiling mount. This is about 13lbs speakers as per the spec, so what ceiling mounts out there exist that will hold a 13lbs speaker that has a bracket similar to the kef Q100s.

Please help.. I am out of ideas and i can't find anything on amazon other than Omnimount 15.0 c which I ordered as it seems to match the spec (max 15lbs) but I am not sure about the thread size if it will fit the hole or will that be able to hold the speaker. IF anyone used it please let me know and I will stop worrying :)

TIA!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I would just get some in-ceiling Kef or other speakers.

If your Q100s are to be pointing directly downward, perpendicular to the ceiling, you could install a second bracket on the back of the speaker at the other side of the back panel (the bottom of the back panel with the speaker in its normal orientation on a bookshelf). Would need to drill 1 or 2 woodscrew holes for the new bracket in the speaker back panel. Then attach the speaker to the ceiling with screws and washers through the 2 brackets. The proper bracket could be hard to buy so you might need to make it from some bent sheet metal.

I have a friend who put similar size bookshelf speakers in the ceiling of his house. It was a new house he was building so he had access to the ceiling before the drywall panels were installed. The speaker grill protruded slightly from a rectangular hole in the ceiling and there was white-painted wood trim moulding installed like a window frame around the speaker. This was a rear ported speaker so the sound quality was reduced, but it sort of worked to get sound where he wanted it, over a kitchen island.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I have asked this question in Kef owners and got some suggestions but some look like they need a bracket on the top. which means I need to drill it to the speaker top which I dont want to. I want to use the bracket that comes with the speaker. So please tell me what you guys are using for ceiling mount. This is about 13lbs speakers as per the spec, so what ceiling mounts out there exist that will hold a 13lbs speaker that has a bracket similar to the kef Q100s.

Please help.. I am out of ideas and i can't find anything on amazon other than Omnimount 15.0 c which I ordered as it seems to match the spec (max 15lbs) but I am not sure about the thread size if it will fit the hole or will that be able to hold the speaker. IF anyone used it please let me know and I will stop worrying :)

TIA!
To use the existing bracket on the speaker, you could put in a single screw then hang the speaker on it. I don't recommend using the existing bracket since your putting the speakers upside and they're reasonably heavy. Something similar to what was recommended in the Kef thread is your best option for obvious safety reasons.

·
Registered
846 Posts

TIA!
Did you come up with some kind of a solution for this ?

I was wondering about the same too, because if I am to have Atmos setup at some point, I want to avoid cutting holes in the ceiling which would open up straight into my attic area, cut through vapor barrier, etc .., so I am trying to find a maybe compromised solution where I can have some flush mounted bookshelf speakers or similar. Unfortunately it does not seem like there are many people doing this out there.

I was thinking that maybe the Q100 can be a good candidate to be flush mounted pointing straight down, hoping that its coaxial driver and wide dispersion might make it work ok for Atmos. But yeah, there is only one small bracket at the top back part of it, so may need some kind of a custom DIY solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts