AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I watch dvd's and xbox games in 480p I switch them to their non-progressive modes just to see a difference. Only I do NOT see a difference when I switch. Is it because the tv already automatically upscales 480i to 480p? And if that is the case, would I not even need a progressive dvd player? Just curious.

I'm getting my tv calibrated next week also. When they come next week to calibrate, should I keep the Pro setting on Monitor and clear edge enhancement off or will they change those settings?

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Yes your doing everything right, as for seeing differences between 480p from the dvd player and letting the tv do the DAC process, where do you have your digital reality creation(DRC) setting at?

It's better to let the dvd player do the deinterlacing since it keeps the signal in the digital domain rather than the tv converting it to analog then digital.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Who are you getting to calibrate your TV? I didn't know you could get people to calibrate your TV.
Yes you can - they go into the service menu and tweak stuff. Costs over a few hundred bucks for the first input then additional cost for additional inputs.

ISF Calibrator Locator

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 910 and I prefer to let my DVD player do the 480p. If your DRC is set to Interlaced you are converting the 480i from the DVD player to 960i, if you have it set to CineMotion you are using 480p with 3:2 pulldown if you set it to Progressive you get 480p.

I generally prefer the DVD player's progressive output in which case the DRC function is disabled.

I guess it depends on how good your DVD player is at outputting 480p test both, the best DVD players will look better in progressive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowk
When I watch dvd's and xbox games in 480p I switch them to their non-progressive modes just to see a difference. Only I do NOT see a difference when I switch. Is it because the tv already automatically upscales 480i to 480p? And if that is the case, would I not even need a progressive dvd player? Just curious.
I have the same problem (?) as you. I do not see any differences when I switched modes on the DVD player.

In fact, I don't even see any differences between the three DRC modes : Interlaced, Cinemotion or Progressive Scan.

I came to the conclusion that the DRC circuit is doing it's job automatically. This is the write up on DRC by Sony :

Digital Reality Creation™ (DRC) Multifunction Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal’s NTSC waveform with the HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select interlaced, progressive or CineMotion™ output.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowk
Croc---I believe I have it on either Cinemotion or Interlaced. Is that what you mean?
Yes, i use interlaced since it upconverts to 960i and looks really good!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
Yes, i use interlaced since it upconverts to 960i and looks really good!
I also use Interlaced. I have never yet seen DRC's "Progressive" mode outperform either of the other two choices. Sony is probably expecting the user to select 480p from the DVD Player, therefore bypassing the DRC circuit.

960i looks great to me. Unlike most others, I prefer a little SVM.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
use Cinemotion when viewing film based content

I noticed it doing wonders, for some unformatted and uneditted movies on DirecTV

(would a well for non scaling DVD players)

otherwise interlaced looks much nicer than progressive

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
acwai---I don't see a difference between the three modes either. I have the Sony 5 disc changer from 2 years ago (665 model?). I'll let you know if after calibration I see a difference next week. I might get the 775 model b/c I hear that's a very good one for the price.

For you other guys, I forgot to ask do you have it set on monitor, edge enhancement off and all that other stuff for TV(satellite), gaming and dvd's or do you have them on different settings? I have it the same for all three.

Also, are you guys saying the progressive signal image on this tv is XS955 is 960i? I don't doubt you guys, but I have never even heard of 960i. Why does it still say 480p?

And is this a feature only on the Sony tubes or something?

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I am able to toggle between the 3 DRC modes, I cannot see a difference. Is that normal, or is it me or is it the set?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't notice a difference either. My cable is run directly to the tv. No boxes or anything. Don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I rarely see any difference either with my 34" Sony set. The only time I use Progressive is with very grainy SD material. It helps to smooth it out a little, very little.

If I send 480i from my dvd player, which is rare, I use CineMotion, which is very nice. But, as CrocHunter has said, it's better to set the dvd player at 480p and let the magic happen in the digital domain, than leaving it up to the tv set to do all the D/A and A/D conversions.

You just have to settle on what looks best and stick with it. I don't really understand why Sony put in the Progressive Scan mode. CineMotion is PS, and I would have thought they could've left it at Interlaced and CineMotion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
If I send 480i from my dvd player, which is rare, I use CineMotion, which is very nice. But, as CrocHunter has said, it's better to set the dvd player at 480p and let the magic happen in the digital domain, than leaving it up to the tv set to do all the D/A and A/D conversions.
My understanding is the fact of the matter will depend on the quality of dvd player doing the interlacing and how its connected. In the case of a cheap dvd player, which is what I have, it may be better to let the sony do the processing. My setup is still new and haven't had the opportunity to really examine all the variables yet.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrian
My understanding is the fact of the matter will depend on the quality of dvd player doing the interlacing and how its connected. In the case of a cheap dvd player, which is what I have, it may be better to let the sony do the processing. My setup is still new and haven't had the opportunity to really examine all the variables yet.
It certainly can depend on the quality of the dvd player. I hope you enjoy your new set and all the testing you'll be doing to figure out what's best for you. I've had a great time doing that with my set-up.

Cheers! ;)

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I own the sony 775 myself, and it has a better deinterlacer than the tv so in my case it's best to let my dvd player do the deinterlacing therefore keeping it in the digital domain.

The reason you probably don't see too much of a difference between the 3 DRC modes is because it varies with certain programing.Think of it as an automatic feature it kicks on for certain programing you watch.

After a while going from channel to channel you will see what i mean on how good DRC can be, it kicks on auto-matically depending on the signal source.

For example a lot of movies on TNT or USA or FX and superstation, if they have moves that are said to be broadcast in HD, the PQ will look much better if you set DRC to interlaced, it looks almost HD like.

I have had my set since october 2004, once you had your tv for a while you will start to notice the PQ differences DRC can do.I was the same as you when i got mine, did'nt see much of a difference untill i started to really pay attention the PQ then that's when i started to notice how good DRC can get from channel to channel.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
...For example a lot of movies on TNT or USA or FX and superstation, if they have moves that are said to be broadcast in HD, the PQ will look much better if you set DRC to interlaced, it looks almost HD like...
CrocHunter,

This is interesting. I use the TitanTV site to see what's on and then decide what to watch and what to record with my Comcast 6412.

I don't remember every seeing a flick from TNT, USA or FX with an HD indication. Where is it you learn if a show is supposed to be broadcast in HD? I've seen HD indicated in TitanTV for primetime network shows, Discovery HD Theater, etc., but never for these others.

Looking forward to hearing from you ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.