AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an HTPC with intel core i3-2100/gigabyte h67ma-d2h-b3 mobo, which i've been powering with an antec true power 650 for the past 6 months, no problems.

i'm building another computer for work/moderate gaming, and i was planning to use the antec power supply (which is pretty cramped in my moncaso 312 case), for a modular seasonic m2IIbronze 520W.

so i install the seasonic, hook two cables each with 3x sata, attach the 24 pin mobo connector, and attach one of the 2 4-pin 12v connectors to the mobo.....nothing happens when i push the power button....

am i doing something wrong here? is the 4/8 12V connector not compatible with my mobo??? i feel like that doesn't make any sense. the antec had a 4-pin 12V by itself, and that worked fine.....

please help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, checked and double checked...

hooked up the antec psu back in and it boots up fine.

does this sound like a defective part? am i missing something?? tonnes of other psus go with the 4+4 12V connector...shouldn't this work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replying, assassin.

this is my motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H-B3 Socket 1155 Intel H67

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037042

it only has 1x24 pin main power connector, and 1x4 pin 12V power connector.

my previous antec tp650 only had 1x4 pin 12V connector, and it worked fine.

does this sound like it's defective, or is there some other incompatibility?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsnAuberon /forum/post/20840162

thanks for replying, assassin.

this is my motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H-B3 Socket 1155 Intel H67

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037042

it only has 1x24 pin main power connector, and 1x4 pin 12V power connector.

my previous antec tp650 only had 1x4 pin 12V connector, and it worked fine.

does this sound like it's defective, or is there some other incompatibility?

So you connected the Antec PSU to this motherboard and it booted up fine? If so then you likely have a faulty Seasonic.

Did you try both the 4 pin connections independently?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Try loading the supply with anything else, do you have a cpl of old HD or some other loads that you can connect? PC power supplies are cross regulated and many require a min load to start, you could be on the edge...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya connected antec psu and booted fine, just as it has been for the past 6 months.

i was having a "why me" moment, haha....sigh....this moncaso 312 case is so cramped...i wanted to minimize the amount of fudging around, it took me 30 minutes just to fit all the cables inside propertly, like playing some parking lot game...

i had mobo, 2x2TB WD Caviar Green drives, dvdrw/cdrw drive all connected....no go..

now i dunno if i should exchange for another seasonic psu $90 CDN (i like the modular design, the moncaso case is sooooo cramped...but oh so beautiful....) or go get an antec earthwatts 650 on sale for $60 CDN (not modular, lots more cables to contend with....)...

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside /forum/post/20840375

Make sure they're snug, since space is limited.

+1

My build is posted here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17137519

The 24-pin MB connector is located under the ODD (not shown), with a sharp 90 degree bend in the harness.

When I was building, I found that when I mounted the 24-pin Seasonic connector (before the ODD install, so I had a straight shot at it), it would push pins out, and it would not power-on. So I had to hold the wires down in the connector when I attached the connector to the MB.

Regards,

Lippy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi guys,

thank you all for your kind help and suggestions.

my motherboard (maybe i quoted the wrong model number) doesn't have the 8 pin connector, it only has a 4 pin in addition to the main 24 pin.

anyway, I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM......and the i have to be honest, i'm a real idiot sometimes.

i've been building my own pcs for 15 some odd years since i was in junior high school, for myself, for other people, whatever. so i hope you'll all find it endearing that i found a the stupid solution to this very stupid problem.

i mentioned that i removed a semi-modular antec true power 650 form the htpc, and installed a new fully modular seasonic m12ii 520.

i seems that i accidentally plugged one of the antec cables into the seasonic...it seemed a little odd based on the layout of the connectors on the PSU, but i took my experience for granted and was in a hurry to make something to eat (i was hungry), so the antec cable fit into the seasonic psu, and i tried to start it up. apparently that doesn't work.

anyway, after i got something to eat, i came back and did some more thorough troubleshooting, isolating 1 variable at a time, and figured out that this was the problem.

so the lesson is, don't mess with your computer on an empty stomach!

thanks again for everyone's help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.