AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not that I know of. The usual claim is that this is not allowed due to DRM rules.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No. It strips the copyright protection and can be used for potentially illegal activities. Take, say, converting a BD through AVR to component, therefore stripping off copyright. Then you can record the output from the AVR to a hard drive on a PC, or a DVD recorder.

If you need a converter, check out something like the HDFury.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I recently acquired an Onkyo TX-SR805. Until I picked more HDMI cables yesterday, I was running HDMI out of by blu-ray player to the receiver and component video out of the receiver to my TV. It worked just fine.

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulum /forum/post/16953209

I recently acquired an Onkyo TX-SR805. Until I picked more HDMI cables yesterday, I was running HDMI out of by blu-ray player to the receiver and component video out of the receiver to my TV. It worked just fine.

My Onkyo SC885 works in this same manner. Doesn't seem to mind that a DVD video with copyright protection plays over HDMI to the receiver can be played out of the AVP via component to the display. I've been told it cannot do this but then there is this line in the user manual:

--------------------------------------------

The AV controller can upconvert and downconvert between video formats, depending on the HDMI Monitor setting,

which generally determines whether video signals are upconverted for the component video output or the HDMI output.

---------------------------------------------

This same phrase is in the 805/875 manual as well.

I tested this with LOTR extended version which is copyrighted - its not a Blu Ray disc. Played just fine. Perhaps some of the Onkyos are not working as they should. I've tried this with my HK 247 in the bedroom setup and it was a no go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts