AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a custom install to do where the game console is going to be in the equipment rack in the back of the room and the client wants to be able to put floor plates or wall plates near the theater seating for the game controllers.

I love gaming but don't have the time to stay up on all the latest when it comes to this fast paced industry so I was hoping that someone has done this and can give me their opinion of how to run the wires or what wall/floor plates were used.

I was merely thinking of buying a couple of used game controllers off of eBay or getting the ends that are on the game controllers and making a couple of long cables and wiring the wall/floor plates to just pass the signal through using the same connector ends that they plug into in the back of the game console itself.

We are going to account for both Playstation and Xbox so no matter what they have now or buy in the future, they are ready to go.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You'll probably find it not feasible as the controllers use proprietary connections for plugging into their respective consoles. The new Xbox 360 that comes out in a couple of months has wireless cotroller functionality built into the console. I assume the PS3 will have that same ability.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have an old tape deck and VHS VCR if they're interested in permanently hooking up other useless technologies in their wall.

The point is that since the XBOX and PS2 are last generation technologies and their connections are proprietary, you need to look at other alternatives.

One thought is to channel 3-4" PVC tubing to an empty faceplate, whereas you can pull through future wiring when the current ones are outdated.

Jasman

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Installer
I guess I should have mentioned ... wireless is not an option in this case.
If it's not an option then your only choice may be the wired controller on the XBOX 360. It's been confirmed that it's simply a USB connection so you don't have to worry about a proprietary format.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
If it's not an option then your only choice may be the wired controller on the XBOX 360. It's been confirmed that it's simply a USB connection so you don't have to worry about a proprietary format.
It may be USB technology, but the connector will not be the standard USB.

Jasman

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman
It may be USB technology, but the connector will not be the standard USB.

Jasman
Actually no, it is a regular USB 2.0 connection and the X360 wired controller "Works with most WindowsXP-based PCs"

Read the description of the wired controller
http://www.planetxbox360.com/images/...cessories1.jpg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Installer
We are going to account for both Playstation and Xbox so no matter what they have now or buy in the future, they are ready to go.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Then the wallplates/plugs will be for now and definitely not what they buy in the future. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.