AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am going to be doing a few tweaks to my current 5.2 setup tomorrow, and one of them involves my center speaker. It's a Paradigm CC-390 (v6). For those unfamiliar, it has two big port holes on the rear of the speaker (4 woofers, 2 midrange drivers, and a tweeter). I typically cross it over at 100Hz.

The speaker sits on a speaker stand under my TV, with the back of the speaker about 4" from the wall. I have absolutely no room to move the speaker out any further due to the size of the room and the proximity of the seating positions to the front wall.

I have been noticing some unwanted reverberations and muddled sound in dialogue as of late, which made me experiment with higher crossovers and what I found was that going from 100Hz to 120Hz helped a little, while 150Hz made a significant improvement in cutting out the reverb I have been hearing in certain voices (mainly low, deep voices or when dialogue is being spoken in enclosed environments such as caves or small enclosures).

So my two options are:

1.) Plug both of the rear ports with foam

2.) Raise the crossover to 150Hz (I really want to avoid this scenario due to a few reasons, one being sub localization)

Is it OK to plug the ports? What harm can it cause? Will it change the overall dynamics of the speaker?

·
Registered
29,313 Posts
plugging the ports will take away the boomy or muddled bass. The center has 7 drivers, you don't want to cross it over at 150hz.

If it didn't come with port plugs just roll up a couple of old socks and plug ports with those. Cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Plugging the port significantly reduces the reverberations that you're referring to. I recently plugged my CC-490 which is less than 6" from the wall. My crossover is at 80hz.

I can imagine your CC390 sounding quite boomy because that was exactly the situation with my studio cc. Make sure you plug them real tight.

As for your question regarding any harm done to the speaker, mine still works after a couple of movies. But Paradigm technical support told me not to plug the port. The reason given was it wasn't designed to work that way. Hehe, screw them. Don't listen to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.