AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pair of rear ported speakers, and it's become apparent that I have an issue with boomy bass. I've got them about 2 ft. from the rear wall, and my room is small, so pulling them out further isn't really an option.

Off the top of my head, the only solutions are to get a new pair of speakers that are front ported, or possibly, plug up the rear ports?

But is that even safe? I know that some speakers let you do it, but I don't know if my Beta 50s are designed for that. I get the impression that they will explode.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/0

I've got a pair of rear ported speakers, and it's become apparent that I have an issue with boomy bass. I've got them about 2 ft. from the rear wall, and my room is small, so pulling them out further isn't really an option.

Off the top of my head, the only solutions are to get a new pair of speakers that are front ported, or possibly, plug up the rear ports?

If they are 2 feet from the wall now, the boom problem has nothing to do with the ports but with the speaker placement or the listening position with regard to all boundaries. Reconsider your arrangements.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Throw in some socks in the ports to see, but I agree with Kal, it sounds like a placement problem.

When I had Paradigm Studio 20s, moving them just a foot from one spot to another produced a horrid bass boom, even though they were just bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The speakers must have sounded fine when you bought them, right? So its the room, not the speakers. But nevertheless, you can't destroy vented speakers by plugging the ports. You will get less bass response, to be sure, but will also get speakers that perform badly. The output will likely be very weak with bass response nearly nonexistant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.