AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any disadvantages to using white plumbing PVC pipe as conduit for wiring runs in a home theater room? Is it against building codes or anything like that?

The problem I'm running into is I can find any "Y"s for the gray electrical conduit at the local Lowe's. The setup I'm trying to build requires 2 "Y"s to get to the projector, then to a game "port", then behind the screen. I'll install pull strings during the build out, then pull through whatever type of wire I need to whichever port needs it at a later date.

I can get 3" white PVC and the necessary 90 deg, 45 deg, and Y connectors needed, but I wasn't sure if that was acceptable per building codes. 3" white PVC is big enough to allow enough room for cable to make the corners, it's not as sharp of a 90 deg as small white PVC is.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to that too.

Thanks,

Kurt

· Registered
1,844 Posts
It is only low voltage, there are very few building codes if any (depending on your area) covering low voltage.... I think the bigger size pvc will work better, and letter on, if you need to replace or run a new wire, it should be easier........ IMO

· Registered
60 Posts
Yep, code-wise it shouldn't be a problem. The only real difference I think is electrical conduit uses more gradual bends. So if your conduit path has a lot of turns, it might be harder to pull wire through the sharper turns of white plumbing PVC.

· Registered
55 Posts
if you do any pulling the gradual 90's would help alot. if it is low voltage only you can get away with murder. Trust me as a apprentice electrician looking at other installers like security,satellite they take the easy way. When we pull our low voltage we plan our way to follow high voltage codes ank keep it as far away from HV as we can, and if you have to pass HV do it at a 90 degree.

Now that I think of it how is the cost diffrence between the black pvc and electrician pvc?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure of the price difference, as I was looking at 2.5" electrical conduit to begin with, until I found they don't make a "Y" for it. I looked at 3" plumbing PVC because it has larger radius curves on the 90s and 45s, and it had a "Y" available.

I'll get prices when I'm at Lowe's this week and post them here.

Thanks,

Kurt

· Registered
892 Posts
Question, for those that used PVC as a conduit/raceway from the basement/main floor up into the attic for future use.

How did you cap off the PVC pipe to prevent insects, animals, etc, from possibly getting into the house thru the attic? I was thinking of some kind of rubber grommet or nipple that would slip over 1 - 3" PVC tubing, that you could just poke a hole in and slide the cables through.

Any ideas?

· Registered
55 Posts
I was thinking when I do that, using duct seal. total seal it and removable. just think of clay and that is it. Thing is I don't know if you can get it at home depot, lowes ect.

it may not be called that but that is what I call it.

· Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertan /forum/post/0

I was thinking when I do that, using duct seal. total seal it and removable. just think of clay and that is it. Thing is I don't know if you can get it at home depot, lowes ect.

it may not be called that but that is what I call it.

Yeah, I know what your talking about. Dad brought me some and we used it around all the backs of the electrical boxes. It is used for that also. Not sure it'd work great for sealing up the PVC ends though, I'd say there is a better solution. Thanks for the idea though.

· Registered
2,190 Posts
Duct Seal 1lb. Pug

GB Electrical, Milwaukee, WI

Model #DS-110

bar code 32076-80110

Home Depot had it in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.