Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw it at Infocomm. I was not impressed.

The Plus folks were making quite an effort. They had a little theatre (very dark) and presenters gave a very polished pitch, claiming that the machine is a revolutionary product.

It isn't.

In addition to being only 480X848--which perhaps isn't such a bad thing--THIS BEAST DOES NOT TAKE HDTV INPUT!!! What a bad idea. It also is not bright.

They showed scenes from Gladiator from a DVD. Well, my aging Infocus presents Gladiator in HDTV much more impressively than what I saw on the new Plus HT. Why would I buy it or recommend it to anyone else? You got me.

The presenter seemed to think that the size and weight were really important to the HT market. Well, I don't think that they are. When I buy a machine for a sales guy, it had better be small and lightweight. But a few more inches or pounds for an HT machine--even one that moves around the house--just isn't very important IMHO.

I rate the new Plus HT machine very very lowly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
RLSmith --

Was a suggested retail price mentioned?

I really have no interest in HDTV at this point, so that's no showstopper for me.

I might also add, that the reason why it's not very bright is because it's using a 6 segment color wheel to minimize the rainbow effect.

But I agree that this projector isn't for everyone.

I'm strictly looking for a projector that will display 480P in a smaller size light controlled dedicated hometheater.

With that in mind, and the fact that this puppy may street for something in the $2000 range. Would you still give it such low ratings? Tell us a little more about apparent black level, color (reds?), rainbow effect and visible pixels.

I'd really appreciate your comments!

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Bergman (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Matt,

The Plus folks did not have a MSRP for their Piano. I asked and then said that was still under discussion.

They also had 4 or 5 different colored models; one of the questions on the survey that they gave the viewers was about what color to use.

I think that they are really trying to make something for the consumer market.

With your requirements in mind, it might be a player.

However, the new Infocus HT machine will have similar capabilities (same 480X848 chip, better color wheel) but will be brighter and have HDTV (or so I was told by Infocus) so you might want to condider that one as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
RLsmith --

I'm definitely considering the Infocus HT model as well!

Did Infocus mention when their HT projector is supposed to be available?

You say they told you it's supposed to be brighter than the Plus. Did they quote any specific numbers?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Matt,

For availability, he said "soon". I would think it has to be before Cedia.

On brightness, he said similar to the LP530. Even if it is not as bright as the 530, it would be brighter than the Plus Piano, which is not very bright at all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't get it....

480? What about PAL users, just about every user outside the US influenced countries?

This is *not* an option for Euro-users like me.

I wonder about the LP530 though, if Infocus got their act together and have a nice contrast+black level, together with the faroudja, which should have gamma control, we have a nice projector... Although their price is high: $6499 and $6999 with the extra connectors for component...

------------------

Yves Smolders

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
... and I read somewhere else the Piano has a fixed zoom lens, right? Another bad decision IMHO.

Christoph

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Sounds like Plus is doing a "me too" relative to Seleco's

HT200DM. Only the Seleco does handle HD. Did the Plus guys

happen to mention if their 848x480 came with a sealed light

path? How much keystone correction does it have?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not sure what all the fuss about HDTV compatibility is. If you have any one of the Directv/NTSC/ATSC tuners that output 480P then it's as "HDTV" compatible as any WSVGA projector can be. As far as brightness is concerned if you use it with a 54" x 96" 1.3 screen you get ~ 17FTL which is within the SMPTE spec of 15 to 20FTL. And with 450 lumen output and a 600:1 contrast you get black level of .75 as opposed to a lumen output of 1300 and 400:1 which would give you a black level of 3.25. If you can turn the lights off then I think this projector has the potential to kick butt.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I say the Piano as well when I was at Infocomm, and I think if the price is right it could be a great entry-level FPTV. It has S-Video, composite, component, and what looked like DVI-in. At such a small size with a pretty good internal scaler it could really kick some ass if it came in ~$2k, but they didn't have a price for it yet.

I think the Seleco HT200DM is the odd-man out here, it's far too expensive for what is offers.

The Piano is great for someone who wants plug-and-play with no hassles and you can move it around very easily because it's so small, hell, take it one vacation with you! It would be good for an affordable second projector. Consider that a 480p capable RPTV starts at $2k and the Piano could cost-competitively offer a similar quality image at a larger size.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
146 Posts
NickB --

The retail price in Japan is supposed to be 298,000 Yen, per [email protected] on this forum.

That equals $2,423.75!

I realize Plus may price it higher in the US.

But not by too much.

And that's the retail price...

I'd expect at least 30% off from most retailers.

What are you basing your quote of $2800-3000 on?

Are you talking MSRP or street?

--

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Bergman (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:

However, the new Infocus HT machine will have similar capabilities (same 480X848 chip, better color wheel) but will be brighter and have HDTV (or so I was told by Infocus) so you might want to condider that one as well.

Quick clarification here, it's an 848x600 chip, not 480, although it would obviously only use 848x480 in 16:9 mode...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It seems it is a Plus U3880 with the newer chip and no clear section (hence lower lumens and contrast).

It will be interesting to see what premium is charged.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.