AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is one of my first posts so please tell me if I get out of line.

Today I went to the Plus showroom in Shinjuku Tokyo to have a look at the piano. My Sharp XV-Z5000 is now in need of repolacement and from what Ive seen so far DLP is the way to go. Id like to make a few comments and ask a few questions too.

First, today I saw the Plus Piano and I was very very impressed. They were showing DTS examplar vol 1 on a 100 inch mat screen so i watched Titanic and Appolo 13 (I have no doubt that it could handle a 120 inch screen).

The picture quality, sharpness, red/black colours, quietness and even brightness were impressive for such a little box (it really is tiny). Sure you can see the screendoor effect if you get up close, but even then I was impressed by how sharp the resolution of the screendoor squares were !!

The showroom guys ran me through the 'real', 'full', 16/9 and letterbox modes ..... great quality everywhere. The problem that strikes me is the lack of a zoom. I have a 120 inch screen so I have to put the Piano 4.8 meters away when on 'full' mode. The 'real ' (as recieved directly from the DVD/Video etc without any processing) mode produces a slightly smaller picture. Currently I have my projector 5.5 metres from my 4:3 screen. Without a zoom I would have to rely on using the 'real mode and manully 'fitting' the image to the screen by changing the position of the stand I have for it. While I can do it (probably - and I wont know untill i actually try it) it sounds very hit and miss to me.

The other thing is that at that distance the image is projected about 40cm above the screen and to change this you have to actually manually tilt the projector down (there are some little pop out legs) and compensate for the wedge effect with one of the inbuilt features.... once again, not great. Sounds like a lot of messing around - even at the price (japanese yen 31000 incl tax - aout USD3000). interestingly, Plus will not be allowing any price discounting from their distributors (reminds me of Apple).

Next I went to my favourite HT shop in Akihabara called AVAC where they had the new Sharp 9000 (on sale here from 05 september) and the new Sony VPL-VW11HT stacked on top of each other. First sweeping statement - the Sharp's picture is twice as good. They were showing Gladiator - and it is very gloomy at the start before the fight scene nd the sharp was great. I can only say that you could not honestly buy the sony if you saw the sharp. Blacks were blacker, picture was crisper, colours seemed more7acurate' if that is not too subjective, and it felt a lot closer to being in a real cinema. But it looks pricey !! They usually give good discounts at this shop, but it still looks like being about USD8000 first up (about usd9000 ticket price).

I have not been able to see a seleco here in tokyo - I am in the process of asking them if they have a distributor here.

So here are my questions -

1. I have seen lots here about the NEC LT150 but i havent seen one here. can anyone compare one to the Plus Piano. also, it seems that it does not have a zoom so can someone tell me the distance for a 120 inch screen? If it isnt taboo can someone tell me how much a LT150 costs ?

2. I havent seen the seleco (of any type) so can someone compare it to the seleco HT200DM. Also - how much is the seleco HT200DM?

HOpe someone can help me.

Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dear Adam

Thanks for your review!

Isn't HDTV something you can use in Japan ?

With the Piano and HT200DM you won't be able to use the full potential of the HDTV signal.

Although we don't, and probably never will have HDTV in Europe, the Sharp might be THE projector right now.

I think pricedifference is around 1.5k Sharp<->Seleco.

If you "only watch" dvd's the Seleco will work fine for you.

I haven't seen the Seleco compared to the Piano, so I can't comment on that.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
50 Posts
"If it isnt taboo can someone tell me how much a LT150 costs ?"

The lt150 can be found for $2400. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Todd

---------------------

-scan-lines-annoy-me-

---------------------

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i didnt see any rainbow for either the Piano or the Sharp 8but this is my first time for DLP so what do i know.

My comment between the sharp and the piano - the sharp benefits from the extra ansi. Although the piano in no way looks washed out, the sharp colours just seemed more intense, and perhpas because of this, more exact...... I have to say though that I thought that the piano was great (the sharp greater).

Can Anyone do a piano - LT150 comparison ?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Hi Adam, you can read about my impressions of the Seleco compared to the Sharp HERE

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Free... it is taking me a little while to get through all of the threads.... i have only just found the forum a day ago.

Sounds like the seleco is the winner.... it must be a champ if it bests the sharp. But do i get it right that the seleco would be about usd10000? thats a lot..... can anyone who has one give me a figure (email if that is taboo).

In that case I wonder if it is three times the Piano - I would not have said that the sharp was 2.5 times the piano..... (except for all my bleating about the zoom).

can anyone answer the question about the LT150 set up distances for 120inch/ and zoom ?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Quote:
interestingly, Plus will not be allowing any price discounting from their distributors (reminds me of Apple).
Quote:
Piano is discounted to 298,000 plus 5% tax at Avac, which is around $2500.
Do you think we should inform Plus ?, is there a bounty price ?.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Adam,

The distance for 120" diagonal is around 157 inches. The LT150 has no zoom.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Adam, thanks for the posts.I think the piano is the projector for me, the throw dist, size and noise level is just right ( and the price hopefully ), only trouble is the bulb life, 1000 hours is not impressive. Did you get any idea of bulb costs?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
It's just unbelieveable to me that they would market a "480" resolution projector just for DVD...and then not give it 480P input from progressive-scan DVD players!

If the whole point is to avoid scaling...wouldn't you also go that extra step and allow the viewer to avoid de-interlacing (in the projector) as well?

Ugh.

-dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bulb life - yes 1000 hours, and the plus guy said that you could replace it yourself with a screwdriver. The cost - Yen 28900 (one tenth of the projector cost).

Yes Bentsai, Ive seen the B1 plus at Avac too. They have it poorly set up but it is still good. it is nice to know that that I am not robinson curusoe here in Tokyo !! The initial price I gave was jsut rough and included tax.....AVAC is not discounting either.

bentsai let me know if you come up with somewhere to see a Seleco.

Cheers

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Adam,

I am in the same boat as you. Just moved to Tokyo and interested in getting a projector in sometime around November. I have also spent some time demoing the Sharp 9000 vs the Piano. By the way, Avac has the Piano in the basement of the same showroom as the Sharp. I guess due to price difference, they don't have them in the same place.

The fact that the Sharp has zoom, tilt, HDTV capability really is pushing me towards it, although the picture is not 2.5 times as good. (The killer is, Piano does not support progressive inputs. So even if you get a nice progressive player, which is getting cheaper everyday, you would have to output in non-progressive and then use their upconverter that is built in.)

Let me know if you find any other convincing issue in either of the projectors. Thanks!

P.S. Piano is discounted to 298,000 plus 5% tax at Avac, which is around $2500.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An interesting footnote is that Plus have a small tripod looking stand called a 'Tilt Stand' which looks kind of neat 8check it out on the top left side of the japanese Plus online page - http://piano.plus-vision.com/shop/index.htm . the showroom guy said that it would go on sale at about the end of September. This will probbly make the piano easier to deploy. Like its name, the showroom guy sid tha tit would let you tilt the piano - you just have to correct the wedge effect of thei image with tone of the digital functions from the popdown menus.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.