AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me what type of screen you are using, approximately what you paid, how satisfied you are and what you would do differently if you had to buy another one for this projector.

Thx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lyndonlim,

I'm assuming the $6K AUS is what you paid for the Piano. How much did the screen cost?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Screen cost me AUD450.00 second hand. It is a fixed frame screen. If you have the money and are projecting 75 inches wide or less, i would go for a grey screen to enhance black levels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Plus Piano 3200 with a 100inch diagnol firehawk screen which cost around $1300.00.

In my opinion it is 100 times better than a wall. Not sure about how it compares to dalite.

Charles

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Da-Lite HCCV (High Contrast Cinema Vision). Its a 1.2 gain gray screen. I like it, but haven't seen the Piano with other screens. Definately better than using a wall though.

The Da-Lite HCCV is like a Stewart Greyhawk, but at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Stewart Studio-Tek screen, 1.3 gain. It's 92" diagonal. Paid $1000.00. The picture is wonderful, especially compared t the melamine board I used temporarily (hotspots). BUT, I feel that if I had shopped around I could have found a used one a lot cheaper (saw one the week after I ordered mine for $300.00) and think I jumped the gun a little when I purchased it. I know this screen is alittle bigger than PLUS recommends, but when I compared it at the dealer's with a smaller Firehawk, I could see no difference. I think one strength of this projector is the good black it projects, and haven't noticed a problem at all with the white screen- the blacks really seem black.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Had my HE3100 about a year now...still no commerical screen. I've been projecting onto an 84" wide 16:9 DIY Parkland Plas-Tex and have no urge to upgrade...YMMV

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bobeetie

Like Gene4ht above, I have had my Piano HE3100 for just over a year. I built a DIY blackout cloth screen (approx. 1:1.45 to suit the dual aspect nature of the Piano) and had until yesterday been quite satisfied. However, with all of the threads over at the “Screen Forum†I finally got off my duff and painted my screen with Behr Premium Plus ultra white eggshell paint. It made a very discernible difference for the better. I will probably stay with my DIY screen; my only regret is that I should have painted the screen earlier. Cost of screen frame, fasteners, blackout cloth and paint was approximately $45CND.

Peter

·
Registered
199 Posts
My Piano 3100 is aimed at the wall. Looks good to me. Pluged in my Gamecube and Metroid looked great! My wife likes Pikmin on the wall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bobeetie,

You have probably made your choice, but here is what I did. I have the Piano 3100. After speaking with the Dalite rep, was steered toward the Videospectra fabric (based on the lumens of the piano). Screen size 60 x 80, model B, video format. I drop it down to the desired length.

Immediately disliked the PQ. The material was too reflective in some movies the whites were washed out and due to the reflective material, the picture appeared pixelated at 1.5X distance. I tried to convince myself and my family but we all agreed that my wall was better. After contacting my dealer and dalite, they offered to replace with the Matte white screen material. I received the new sceen a few days back, and the difference is remarkable. The image is very film-like and colors truer. I did many side by sides of these 2 screens and would recommend the matte white. After this experience, I am not sure I would go for any screen with a higher gain. Hope this information helps you.

-mahesh-

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks, Mahesh. I ordered a matt white screen for my X1 feeling that a high gain screen might cause hot-spotting. You've made my day!! To keep with the thread, I paid ~$250 CAD delivered for the 92" wide video format Draper Luma (same as Da-lite Model B)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Audible,

You will not be disappointed. Let us know after you have used it for a while.

-mahesh-

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm using a 92" diagonal (16:9) Firehawk fixed screen for my 3200. Paid $1700 CDN. Quite happy with the performance. Very good gray scale. I don't have a black wall behind it so the Deluxe version would have been better (3" border as opposed to 1 & 1/2") but on the other hand I saved $300.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Piano 3200. I'm using a DIY screen made from 49" x 97" x 3/4" MDF cut down to 49" x 87". It is painted with Screen Goo and framed with a 3" solid wood frame. The viewing area is 48" x 86".

I really like it but have nothing to compare with since I'm new to projectors.

Cost = 160 CAD for the paint, about 45 CAD for the wood materials, etc. (Of course I do have a full woodworking shop in my basement ... :)

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.