Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on the Plus Piano projector?

Given the recent buzz on the pricey Seleco HT200DM, I thought I'd ask about the new Plus. I seem to remember that the Piano was spec'd with the 848x480-capable DLP chip a rainbow-resistent color wheel, but be priced under $3k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the latest Japanese AV magazine, HiVi. The specs of PIANO on their advertisement are: 450 ANSI Lumens, input for 480i, 576i, DVI but not for progressive scan 480P although the chip is 848x600.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Abe,

Are you saying that the specs say that it can't do 480P through the DVI input?

That's okay, I would pair it with a progressive player anyway. (component in)

The light output sounds on the low side, I have can control my light 100% so I guess I would be fine there too.

Abe, does the ad mention anything about a release date?
http://piano.plus-vision.com/index2.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Matt,

thanks for posting the new link. The technology tab is very interesting, nicely demonstrating the double speed RGBRGB wheel and the (hopefully silent) airflow concept.

Abe,

let's hope the HiVi ad was just incomplete re: 480p support. The techno section does mention 480p.

If anybody could give us a clue what the texts actually say I would be most grateful.

Holger

·
Banned
770 Posts
Hello all,

I have now had a chance to see the Sanyo PLV-60 set up against the Sony and I can also tell you that the Sanyo is light years ahead in quality of picture. I had a chance to speak to the higher ups at Sony about their 11HT and it seems to just be a knee jerk reaction to the Sanyo. I don't believe that it will come close to the Sanyo in black level or internal scaling. I understand that Sony will be fixing the problem with auto-switching to 4:3 when a progressive scan image is introduced and the 3:2 pulldown.I imagine they will also solve the sync problem with the RCA HDTV tuner as well, but why did they wait until the Sanyo was introduced to make these much needed fixes? They could have solved all of this without creating a new model number. WARNING: I have the strongest suspicion that the Sony 11HT is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Until I see otherwise, we don't plan on stocking very many.

AJ Abrams

Product Analyst

Projector People/AV Marketplace/Home Theatre People/Plasma People.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Mr Abrams-

I am not quibbling about grammar here. At the outset of our post you state that you "have now had a chance to SEE the Sanyo set up against the Sony and... the Sanyo IS light years ahead in picture quality."

However, you then state that you "don't BELIEVE [the Sony] will come close to the Sanyo in black level or internal scaling." Well, did you see them together or not?

You go on to say you "understand" Sony will be solving the auto switch prog problem, have 3:2 pulldown, and "imagine" it will solve the problems with sync with the DTC100. Well, if you had one to look at, why didn't you check these out?

Finally, a correction. Sony did not "wait" until the Sanyo came out to "fix" the "problems" on the 10HT and introduce the 11HT. It was Sony's introduction of the 11HT with new LCD panels in it which made Sony decide to sell the 16:9 10HT panels to other companies for the first time including Sanyo. In short, had Sony not come out with the 11HT, there would be no Sanyo.

Just out of interest, are you a Sony CIS dealer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Patrick,

Compared with the production volume of presentation projectors the HT projectors may be few %. I have met some of the PLUS people in TKO last Sept. They already indicated to me to study HT market.I believe they need more expertise of HT/Video application. This is reflected from their latest HT products. It is hardly to accept HT projector without compatibility to Progressive Scan signal and HDTV signal. The best market to dump the fading out 800x600,SVGA presentation projector is HT market. In many so called HT markets you can still find the 640x480 VGA presentation projectors priced at USD1,500 for entry level HT fan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Abe,

thanks for posting the details. Plus' new web site mentions 848x480 and 480p, but these figures are suspiciously absent from both the HE3100 spec and the TI press release. Perhaps they are included in anticipation of future projectors (as Patrick implied).

Patrick,

if you have any more info to share I am sure many people would be interested...

I agree that lack of 480p support will kill a projector.

Holger

·
Registered
69 Posts
abe und holger: i can promise you, that plus going into the ht market in the next few months with speciall products. i know the plus people very well from my past. i was working for 10 years for the company medium in germany as productmanager for projectors. medium is exclusive plus distributor for germany and benelux http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

plus startet with a new division for the ht market. i agree, that in the moment the market is very small, but see the potentiell, potentiell, potentiell.......

best regards

------------------

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a bit confused from the posts above. Does the existing literature indicate that a progressive scan DVD player or HTPC can be used with the Piano deliver the full resolution of an anamorphic (or non-anamorphic) DVD without scaling artifacts or rainbows? Will there be a decent internal scaler for TV sources (e.g., DishTV)?

450 lumens seems comparable to the Davis DLPs that have been successful in light-controlled HTs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone above suggested that projector manufacturers may dump SVGA DLP chips (which are really 848x600 chips) onto an unsuspecting HT market. If they can rig a DVD-oriented projector to shoot a reasonably bright, rainbow- and artifact-free 100" picture for $2500, I'd be pretty happy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

HDTV is sweet, but until there is more programming, I'd be thrilled to buy a cheap DVD projector...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt and Holger,

On the HiVi ad it mentions inputs for comp video, s-video, 480i and 576i. From the rear connecting panel there are connectors for comp vedio, s-video, Y Cr Cb and a DVI. Nothing about progressive scan 480P. The Hor.Freq. of 480P is 32K compared with component at 15.75K. It seems to me that the DMD is not Dual Mode even it is a 848x600 as 848x480 not streesed. PLUS projectors are mostly not compatible to Progressive Scan Signal. Their major market is presentation. This is common to other manufacturers with presentation markets oriented development. Their projector production is so huge that the higher cost of HT projectors specs is almost not for their major products.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt and Holger,

The release in Jap mkt is June. Together is Yamaha DXP-1, their first DLP projector. I have seen it in TKO. It is with a 0.9 in. DMD.

Bob,

The 10HT using a 1366x768, W-XGA, panel. It is a unique LCD panel with contrst ratio not high enough for HT demand. Will SANYO take up this fading out panel? 10HT is priced lower than USD 5,000 in Japan and Hong Kong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
dear abe,

plus is starting a product line specially made for the ht market. so this strategy is in change and you will see the first results in the next months.

best regards

------------------

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.