AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one bought/used/seen a Plus projector? I stopped by a place today and they had a Plus installed. Looked great and was really small. It is a DLP and they were asking ~3.3K. I thought DLP's were much more than that. It did not have the mustang chippy.

I searched on Plus and nothing came up. I was surprised.

Thanks,

DT

·
Registered
26 Posts
David,

Here's a link to my review of my Piano Avanti 3200. I've been very impressed with the projector, and everyone that comes over for movie nights at my house (and there's been a lot more of them recently :) ) has loved it as well.

As you pointed out, at the 3200's price point, it's hard to beat.

Let me know if you have any questions that my review doesn't answer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
go to www.projectorcentral.com

they have a review of the piano as well.

according to them, good projector, but not if you plan to project a huge image. that's a brief summary of course.

also, it would eb a good idea to read their primer on DLP vs. LCD, just to understand the limitations and flaws of each technology.

-Seb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

I also have the 3200 on a Firehawk screen and find it wonderful. All this talk of the Sony Hs10 makes me wonder if I spent too much, however, if the hs10 is not as good as the piano, I would say that the Piano is probably one of the best buys.

My friend came over last night to watch star wars and monsters. He couldn't believe what a difference the picture quality was before when i used a wall and now with the firehawk.

Charles

·
Registered
274 Posts
Piano Plus AVANTI 3200 was seen in full operation during the recent Hi-End show in Athens, Greece, organized by the Greek Magazine "SOUND-VISION" and the union of the Greek Home Electronics Makers, Importers and Agents. The whole presentation was really impressive and the picture we saw at that room can compete with much higher price projectors.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If it's the Plus Piano you were looking at, do a search on "Piano" on this forum and the "DLP, LCD..." forum (the expensive guys' forum, where you'll find older posts on this projector).

We Piano owners seem almost without exception to love and enjoy our projectors.

I bought the older (3100) model shortly after it was introduced, and have absolutely no regrets.

Good luck!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would wait awhile to see what comes out. I am in the opinion that at this point in time, the Piano is slightly overpriced for a 800 by 600 resolution and 650: 1 contrast ratio. I would not buy it at this point in time. I think you should consider higher real contrast like the Sharp unit. Contrast is nearly everything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lyndon, not to turn this into another "Piano tips" thread, but my experimentation has shown me that there is a "sweet spot" in terms of screen-to-projector distance (or image size, if you will) and contrast ratio.

I've moved the projector back and forth over the last few months, all in the general area of about 10 or 11 feet away from the wall onto which I'm projecting. In one case, moving it about four or five inches closer not only resulted in a significant contrast boost, but the fine detail of the picture also snapped into near-perfection. (Not a focus issue, I don't think, because I always focus very carefully; it seems there may be a distance beyond which you will lose fine detail, no matter how carefully-focused).

None of this is to contradict your advice to wait before choosing a new projector, but I would say that buying purely on the basis of specs (which I know you're not advising) can turn out to be a mistake of major proportions.

I won't name names, but on this very forum I've seen some absolutely dreadful screenshots from projectors with ostensibly superior specs to the Piano, particularly in the area of color (which would be my major criterion rather than contrast, and which is least able to be gauged by reading specifications).

Other members have fawned over these images; I don't hold it against them, but they may not have personally auditioned a wide range of projectors in person, so compared to whatever they may have seen, the thing in question looks great.

I don't want to dump on anyone else's projector (and I hate when they do it to the Piano, and I certainly wouldn't do it to their projectors merely on the basis of possibly faulty screenshots), but if it looks like that, I for one wouldn't watch it at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.