AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Plus U2-1150 on loan for the weekend. This is an XGA, 1500 lumen DLP projector (Full specs here ). According to my informal web search, it retails for around $4300 USD.

First and foremost, this is the loudest DLP projector I have ever encountered. It sounds like a hair dryer, which is quite a disappointment, but I suppose really shouldn't be a surprise from a presentation projector.

I have it connected to my HTPC running at the native resolution 1024x768 @ 16bpp. I eyed up the colour settings and will probably tweak them with Video Essentials tomorrow. Colour saturation is not fantastic (once again, a trait of a presentation projector, IMHO), but very acceptable in my 'wannabe' videophile eyes :). The blacks are near black. In fact, because it's a 1500 lumen projector and my screen is so small, I can turn the brightness down to about 25% which makes the blacks blacker.

In my opinion, the overall picture quality is very good and I have yet to tweak the video settings. I am projecting a 4:3 image size of approximately 72" wide onto a gray coloured wall. The dreaded rainbow effect is still there, but quite muted compared to first generation DLP projectors that I have experience with. I think I could live with this. I don't get any headaches or eyestrain after watching for 4 hours continuously.

The on-board scaler is pretty bad (another presentation projector trait), but using the HTPC for this task works quite well. To test this, I had my 4DTV and Star Choice (Canadian DBS) satellite receivers connected via the S-Video input.

As it stands, I wouldn't buy this projector simply because of the noise it generates. If it was quiet like the Piano and used the same scaler, I think it'd be a worthy contender.

I guess that's all for now. If anybody has any specific questions, I'll do my best...

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
All the U3-xxxx serires PJ's, and the 'V' series of Plus PJ's all use the 3rd generation Pixelworks Scaling engine, and it is noticably better. I very much suspect tht Plus will be using this engine in all newer machines. The U2 series uses an different scaling engine.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
sounds like LT150z with 800:1 CR and zoom except more lumen (1500 vs. 1000). Does it do 480p via component (breakout cable needed of course) through VGA port?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
All the U3-xxxx serires PJ's, and the 'V' series of Plus PJ's all use the 3rd generation Pixelworks Scaling engine, and it is noticably better. I very much suspect tht Plus will be using this engine in all newer machines. The U2 series uses an different scaling engine.
I had a U3-810Z last weekend, but unfortunately did not get a chance to input a interlaced signal. Looking at the Pixelworks website, it appears that a several DLP manufacturers are using this chipset now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.