AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on using this projector in a home theater environment? I think it will have to be used with a HTPC simply because the built-in scaler isn't all that great. It is 1000 lumens, 650:1 CR, and I believe uses a 2nd generation colour wheel.

Anybody know if I can input 1080i/720p to the component input?

Before you ask "why this projector", I have a very good deal on one lined up.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Have you treid it withthe scaler, via component? My understanding is that the 'U3' series have the pixelworks scaler chip on baord. This chip is not too bad when it comes to scaling an image.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it very briefly connected to my HTPC only.

Can I get decent colour reproduction from this unit? I only had it projecting onto a white wall, not a real screen. With 1000 lumens, I'm sure a gray screen would work pretty well.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The plus units tend to be a bit conservative withtheir CR ratings, and the CR is probably better in the fully zoomed out position...very much like, the,(ahem) , if you know What I mean.

·
Registered
661 Posts
U3-810sf is an entirely acceptable solution for home theater, used in conjunction with an external scaler. Even with the pixelworks scaler built in, it is not "really" home theater quality. However, deals on this projector can be had for under $1800.00. One note of interest, though, it does not have UL approval for ceiling mount. Wonder why?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to get another evaluation unit and try it with a real screen. At the price I am being offered it for, it can carry me over until the next gen DLP comes out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.