AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a purchase in the next week or so of a Plus UP-1100 or JVC G10 (Dukane model). A friend of mine works for a projection rental/sales company and can get me the Plus for about $2000 (150 hrs on the lamp) and the G10 (600 hrs on the lamp)for about $3200. Both projectors are in good condiion without any dead/stuck pixels or defects. The Plus may have some warranty left but the G10 does not.

My plan would be to have Thumper's mods done to the Plus UP-1100 or have D-ILA calibration by Cliff (or someone else who is qualified) done to the G10. I know that bulbs are about $800 for the G10 and about $400 for the Plus. I'll initially be projecting on a white 8 foot wide screen (eventually going to a grey screen). My viewing will mostly be DVD's, HDTV, DSS and some computer gaming. I'll be using an HTPC for all my viewing/scaling. I may wind up getting an anamorphic lens in the future (most likely ISCO since my throw distance is limited to about 15 feet).

Given the above, which projector would you choose and why? If anyone has seen a G10 and a UP-1100, I am definately interested in your opinions.

Thanks..

-- John

· Registered
6,227 Posts

· Registered
9,766 Posts
this question would answer itself if you see both project an image.

G10 then buy a copy of DILARD and get a HTPC.

------------------

Tryg Hoff

· Registered
6,092 Posts
brzez,

Let me assume one thing first off. You will be using some form of HTPC or high dollar scaler? Both of these projector's need it badly.

I would definitely try to get a demo of the two.

The Pluses after Thumper's work are all very similar. To help illustrate the effects his work gives. Put up a good test image and switch between quiet and normal whites. With the standard projector only the whites get brighter, but with Thumper's version all of the colors get brighter.

Thumper's mod also removes the Halo almost to a non-existant level and he will correct any uniformity problems you have.

On the G10 side, I haven't ever seen anything other than an out of the box G10 and I wasn't too impressed. Calibrations can work miracles, but you need to find someone willing to do it well.

If it were me, the pricing you have makes it a toss up in my opinion. I think either path is a good approach.

However, both units might need similar accessories including a hush box. So while the d-ila might stay a couple thousand more expensive overall, for a total system that might not be as significant.

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

· Registered
410 Posts
You're getting an excellent price on the dila. I've seen dila g10 and g15 calibrated by R Martin (excellent work), but the black level on the UP1100, (not Thumper calibrated, yet) looks better than the dilas. For me the limitation of the dila is the black level witch reflects on all others color's saturation. Just my opinion. :)

· Registered
4,525 Posts
John,

I would like to be next in line for that G10 if Phreddy isn't interested (well, if you don't pick it up yourself). Please let me know if the seller will extend the price to someone else.

Thanks,

Mark

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... seems like a mixed bag but the consensus seems to be that the D-ILA is better. It does have almost twice the amount of pixels as the Plus and will give a better picture for HD sources.

Anyone know which projector is louder?

Thanks..

-- John

· Registered
16,014 Posts
I have a G10 and I had an NEC LT100 which is essentially the same thing as the UP1100.

The G10 is noticeably louder (although the Plus will let

you know it's in the room too).

Bob Wood

------------------

------------------

~~The Sultan of Cheap~~

· Registered
16,014 Posts
John,

IMO there is no comparison between an out-of-the-box

LT100 and DILA.

However, in all fairness, I have not seen what