AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to gather information on the Sanyo PLV-60. I've got no local dealers in my (very rural) area that are Sanyo projector vendors, so I need some help:

-Are there two seperate Sanyo units, the PLV-60 and PLV-60HT? I ask because someone asked this on thebigpicturedvd.com forum and the person who answered made it sound like there ARE two different units. However, I've been unable to find any information on Sanyo's website or here even, affirming this.

-If these ARE two different units, what are the major differences?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think the HT version has reduced light output to meet residential standards; 1200 vs 1300.

Not sure of other differences. I had a unit for home trial. It was not the HT version. When I contacted Sanyo Canada to ask them the differences between the HT and non-HT, they stated that the units are identical (clearly they are not based on the USA Sanyo web site).

I'm very interested in the differences myself. Does the HT have a better contrast ratio as well? I seem to remember seeing 500:1 quoted on one spec and 800:1 on another.

Ray

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find any information on the website for the PLV-60, assuming there IS one... just the PLV-60HT. The HT specs spell out 500:1 contrast ratio and 1200 lumens. From what I've seen, I believe there is and always has been only one unit, but Sanyo isn't sure which specs it likes to report for it, depending on the day.

One more dumb question I couldn't find an answer to: Does the PLV-60 have a reduced output (like cinema black on 10HT) mode?

-Chris

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
On the Sanyo site it says 500:1 for the Contrast ratio, but when you check out the actual specs, it is 700:1 (which is what I've seen many other places, including the specs for the Cinema 13HD).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I see that now on the specifications page. My original question, though, remains unanswered... are there really two versions of the PLV-60? A PLV-60 and PLV-60HT?

·
Registered
888 Posts
The answer given to me by my local Sanyo dealer here in calgary was that there is NO difference in the 60ht and the 60.They are both the same,the 60ht however is the U.S. model.The differing specs in contrast ratio are typo's,and there are quite a few on Sanyo's web site that i've made them aware of to no avail.the actual contrast ratio of the 60/60ht is 700:1.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The audible noise of the Cinema 13HD is 37db while the Sanyo is 2db noiser at 39db. 2db more noise will be very noticeble.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Leckian,

"The audible noise of the Cinema 13HD is 37db while the Sanyo is 2db noiser at 39db. 2db more noise will be very noticeble."

Unless they've changed the sound measurement system in the last 40 years, I believe 2db is JUST noticeble not VERY noticeble.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Roger-

Small increments of improvement can be a big deal for some in home theatre and a 2db increase in noise, depending where you are referencing can make some projectors undesirable

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
103 Posts
The nice thing about having 59 year old ears is that I can't hear my Sanyo even though it's closer to me than my speakers :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. Now that we've established that any advertised PLV-60 is one in the same with a PLV-60HD (I think), what differences does the Cinema 13HD bring to the table besides fan noise? Are they worth the price difference?

-Chris

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Quote:
OK. Now that we've established that any advertised PLV-60 is one in the same with a PLV-60HD (I think), what differences does the Cinema 13HD bring to the table besides fan noise? Are they worth the price difference?
In a previous thread:
Anyone seen a Boxlight 13-HD in action?

sitkom said:
Quote:
It is an OEM Sanyo 60HT with different video processing and scaling firmware. I would recommend an outboard scaler/HTPC with any projector on the market so the premium they want for the 13HD over the 60HT is, IMHO, wasted money.

It is white though, which may help the WAF.

-Ted
Though no one did reply as to whether the difference between it and the Sanyo was worth the extra (as opposed to buying a seperate iScan Pro).

I'm currently debating between these two and leaning towards the Boxlight as I like the idea of not getting an external doubler at the moment (I think the Cinema will be good enough for my needs). I won't really know until I've had a chance to audition both units, preferably side by side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They had to put some additional shielding inside the projector in order to get full FCC class B rating for the residential market and renamed it the 60HT. That is the only difference.

Contrast ratio measurements from manufacturers are suspect so I don't think either 700:1 or 500:1 is necessarily accurate. It entirely depends on the setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.