AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mainfloor familty PJ setup for evening DVDs and a big Sony TV for everything else during daylight hours. After 10 months of viewing on a DIY white wall screen, I decided to treat the family (me) to improved blacks and the ability to watch DVDs during early evening (summer) and without all lights out. My installation allowed the use of a Firehawk (ceiling mount, resonable throw) and the seating was just within tolerable viewing range of the ideal. A call to Don Stewart confirmed the decision to go Firehawk on a 123" 16:9 delux screen. I opted for just the matte finish - expecting to line the inner bevel with black-cloth tape myself.

After an installation that took all of 8 hours over 2 nights (mostly contemplation and double & triple measuring) - the screen went up without a hitch and the screen surface flattened out nicely. In room light, the screen appears shockingly dark - even darker than the Greyhawk sample I had.

On the first night, I viewed about 3 hrs of various material I was very familiar with. My first reaction was that the image was a bit dark.....but then obvious and subtle improvements in the image quality made their impression. The image, was, in fact, just as bright as before- but the colors were deeper and the blacks much deeper. Only minor tweaks (in the user menu) resulted in very satisfying image. Lots of dark detail, good blacks (i'd say amazing), white whites and good colors. I now watch movies without complaint about blacks. I am amazed.

Now, after a week of viewing about 10 movies, I can confirm that the Firehawk results in a very contrasty, film-like, image from a PLV-60. Sure, I do notice the reduced viewing angle - but its the only compromise I can see. As for improved rejection of ambient - Yes - I can leave the under-counter lights on the kitchen and put a tiny 25watt lamp on the same wall as the screen. The combination of a bright image and some ambient light in the room make the screen looks like a freaking huge plasma hanging on the wall.

I'm also one of the lucky PLV60 owners without a missing pixel or no other gross defect in the image. My bulb has about 450hrs on it.

For plv60 owners who can afford it, I would recommend the screen. This is technology that will outlast your current PJ and worth the investment.

Dan

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I am not surprised that you are pleased with the PLV-60/FireHawk combination. I am using my PLV-60 with a 125" wide microperforated GrayHawk and the improvement over a white screen was significant. There are times when I wish the image were a little brighter, however, like you, the screen will stay whereas the projector will be replaced sometime in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.