AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
GREAT!

Can you post a URL so we can all see the comparisons without having to bother you to send a bazillion emails?

Looking forward to seeing the results..my general impressions (using a Sony 9000 DVD player on prog scan mode) was that the Sanyo was grainy (almost unwatchable) and had definite purple and red twinges to everything (esp. skintones). The 10HT may not be as "deep" on its colors (on a 1.0 gain screen), IMHO, but to me produced a much more pleasing picture.

Looking forward to what you found..plz share ASAP - I'm about ready to plunk down some $$s for a projector!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
No offense but my VPL-W400Q looks way better than both of this projector...or maybe is that the pictures aren't too good. Are you making a real comparison or trying to make a case for the Sanyo? Again, if its that the pictures are bad then sorry but based on what you sent me my projector looks way better and that shouldn't be the case (at least not against the 10HT from what I've heard).

Regards

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm very interested in seeing them. I'd bet a bunch of other people are as well. Since photopoint decided to start charging money I've had good luck with http://www.webshots.com as an album hosting service.

Post those babies!

Thanks

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sanyo has a brighter picture. Better contrast and seems to be a more crisp picture. I am using it with a greyhawk. I see a little more pixelations on the Sanyo. The sony does a better job with s-video and interlaced material. The Sanyo shows more artifacts. The sanyo works great and looks great with the RCA DTC-100. The Sony only works with this DTC-100 for HD or s-video. The Sanyo has a problem with the Toshiba 5109 which the sony did not have. For me the Sanyo has a little bit of an edge.

Anthony

·
Registered
14 Posts
No offense, but if you were trying to show off the differences between these two projectors with these photos you just failed.My VW10's image quality has nothing to do with the images you posted (although "uncalibrated").If yours, produces really this "quality" then you have a serious problem.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
However it sounds, based on the comment about S-Video, as if the Sony's DRC circuit is clearly superior to the Sanyo line doubler. This would matter to most folks who do not use a quality external scaler or a HTPC to drive the projector at the native panel resolution. Of course, the Sony can not do this, only the Sanyo.

That plus the rampant reports of compatibility issues with progressive scan DVD players are causing me to formulate the opinion that the Sanyo may be the better tweeker machine (although it may need updated firmware, as did the Sony early on) and the Sony the best out-of-box solution for those who value convenience above absolute performance.

I certainly would like to see a direct A-B comparison of both machines after calibration.

Gary

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you any calibration at both projectors? It's important to use Avia/VE or similar, if you don't do it, even a Runco 3-chips DLP can appear worse than a low cost projector.

Paulo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want everybody to know that I own both projectors. I have nothing to gain by doing this other than to help people make a good choice. So cut me some slack on the poor photos. I will try to get better photos tonight. If anyone could recommend how to make these photos come out better that would be useful. Both projectors were calibrated with Avia. All photos were taken with the same digital camera. If you look the Sanyo photos were brighter and the dark scene detail was better with the Sanyo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok.

New photos have been posted.
http://community.webshots.com/user/anieves_1

These photos were taken with both projectors against the 110" greyhawk. IMHO the following are my observations of both projectors. The Sanyo clearly out performs the Sony when it comes to the following items.

Brightness

Contrast

Easy of placement

HD Source

DTC-100 compatibility

The Sony out performs the Sanyo in the following:

Fan Noise

Internal line doubler

Bulb life

Dust penetration

Toshiba 5109 compatibility

Less screen door effect

Tonight I connected my new DVDO IscanPro and it completely eliminated the screen door effect that I had with the Sanyo. The Sony should not be used with the Greyhawk of the High Contrast fabric from Da-lite. It makes the picture too dim. I prefer the 1.3 gain screen with the Sony. The Sanyo looks amazing with the Greyhawk. I have had the following question ask of me for about two weeks now. Is the Sanyo worth the typical $1600-$2000 more than the Sony? If brightness and better contrast means a lot to you then YES. I would have been happy sticking with the Sony if I did not spend $2500 on the greyhawk to improve my black levels. What ended up happening to me was the Greyhawk dimmed the picture too much. I will be glad to answer any additional questions.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Anthony, can you explain what you mean by "dust penetration" being better on the 10HT. Also, I am curious as to how the IscanPro would elminate the screen door effect. I don't understand the technology too well, but this is very interesting to me, as the screen door effect is one thing that bothers me about the Sanyo.

Also, why is the Sanyo screen door effect worse than the 10HT? By the way, this is my recollection as well. Admittedly, I saw the 10HT about 3 weeks before I got the Sanyo, but I also felt that the screen door was barely noticeable on the 10HT at 12" back, while I can see it quite clearly on the Sanyo at that distance (and identical screens were used for viewing both projectors). I had assumed that since the LCD panels for both projectors were the same or similar, the screen door effect would be similar. Is screen door a function of the unit's internal scaler?

Also, is it possible that the screen door effect just appears to be less on the Sony, because the picture is not as bright? I have noticed that screen door is more noticeable in the brighter scenes.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Sanyo and the Sony are in the same environment. I have had to clean the Sony twice in about one year. I have owned the Sanyo for about two weeks and I have had to clean it three times. Using a progressive scan 480p dvd player the sanyo gives the screen door effect about 12ft back. I connected my IscanPro with interlaced component and watch the same movie and from the same position could not see the screen door effect. The picture was much smoother. The graininess was gone.

Anthony

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wow, if my 10ht looked as bad as those pictures I would replace it too. Do you feel that the pictures you posted accurately represent your true picture quality or does it demonstrate the brightness and potential contrast difference?

I have the 10ht and a 110" Grayhawk and my PQ is nowhere near that dim. I am not just saying that because I have a 10ht, hell from the specs it sounds like the sayno is a better projector. I am just wondering if something is wrong with your 10ht projector. All I can tell you is, I do not find my picture dim at all and that is with cinema black on on my grayhawk. In fact I think the 10ht and the grayhawk are a fantastic match.

Assuming that the difference in brightness is the issue, have you turned the cinema black mode off, and compared the two projectors? I would think that may be a closer apples to apples comparison.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How many hours do you have on your 10HT bulb? My is about 600. Those pics did have cine black off. I just got the projector back from Sony with no problems found.

Anthony

ps The greyhawk screen I have seems to be darker than the Da-lite HC fabric.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anieves:
The Sanyo and the Sony are in the same environment. I have had to clean the Sony twice in about one year. I have owned the Sanyo for about two weeks and I have had to clean it three times. Using a progressive scan 480p dvd player the sanyo gives the screen door effect about 12ft back. I connected my IscanPro with interlaced component and watch the same movie and from the same position could not see the screen door effect. The picture was much smoother. The graininess was gone.

Anthony
How can the iscan eliminate the screen door effect? The screen door is caused by blocked light in gap between pixels which is larger with lcd then other technologies such as dlp, etc. Since this is a physical blocking of the light the only ways I have heard of reducing it are by a slight defocusing or the use of special lenses. Perhaps there is something I do not understand, but I find it hard to belive that the iscan can eliminate screen door on a lcd projector. Can you please elaborate on this?

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anieves:
How many hours do you have on your 10HT bulb? My is about 600. Those pics did have cine black off. I just got the projector back from Sony with no problems found.

Anthony

ps The greyhawk screen I have seems to be darker than the Da-lite HC fabric.
~300 hrs, have you noticed your bulb getting darker?

I thought I heard of some .85 gain grayhawks, I think mine is .95. Perhaps you have a low gain one?

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.