AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my PLV-60 looking pretty awesome now after some calibrating and tweaking. The screen door is gone and color, contrast and brightness are superb. The only problem I am still having that I am bothered by is motion artifacts. I am wondering if it is from my DVD player (Panasonic RP91) or from the projector. Has anyone else used this combination and experienced motion artifacts? Is there anything to do to reduce the motion artifacts?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't own that combination, but it is safe to assume that a progressive scan DVD player would do the trick. If that doesn't work then talk to one of those HT PC guys, or buy Faroudja's new Native Rate scaler for fixed panel projectors. Motion artifacts are all in the scaling.

Good Luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
FIRST, HOW DID YOU GET RID OF THE SCREEN DOOR?

SECOND, I THOUGHT THAT THE RP91 IS A PROGRESSIVE SCAN UNIT? ARE YOU USING THE 480P OUTPUT?

THIRD, THE FAROUDJA NR WON'T WORK WITH 16:9 LCD PANELS. IT WILL STRETCH ALL IMAGES TO 16:9 AND NOT ALLOW YOU TO WATCH IN 4:3 OR 2.35:1. THIS DIRECT FROM THE HEAD TECHINCAL GUY AT FAROUDJA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, to get rid of the screen door I did defocus. I defocused until just before the pixels meet so there is still a faint line between them. I also turned sharpness all the way down on both the projector and my DVD player's settings. The screen door is just barely visible from about 8 feet, and from my 13 foot viewing area it is really no longer an issue. The picture is still plenty sharp with great detail, you can see the pores on peoples faces, and that is good enough for me. I do however still notice some graininess and I don't believe it is from the screen door anymore. One forum member stated that he had Sanyo service his PLV-60 for dust blobs and it came back with no dust blobs and a noticeable decrease in graininess. Maybe the dust is the cause of the graininess. I think I might just have mine serviced also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
david, i couldn't have said it better. the great part is that i was yelled at when i asked how they could charge $3000 for a product that wouldn't scall to different ratios for different inputs.

AS FAR AS THE GRAININESS IS CONCERNED, the new PROJECTOR CENTRAL review suggests that the problem is in the scaler in the projector. It apparently can't upscale 480 to 780 very well becuase the grain goes away with a true HDTV signal.

·
Premium Member
25,539 Posts
"Motion artifacts are all in the scaling."

Actually, while it is a contributor, scaling is much less injurious than deinterlacing. And even if they were both perfect, there will always be jaggies and stairstepping,. albeit decreasing, as long as resolution is finite.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Just have to rant about that STUPID Faroudja NR piece of crap that can't do aspect ratio adjustment.

What a joke!

This is NOT the projector's fault...a pixel for pixel mapping should fill the panel, just as the Sanyo does with such an input.

It's the Scaler...ie the Faroudja that should be windowboxing and zooming 4x3 lbxed material for proper display in the NATIVE 16x9 aspect ratio of the LCD projector.

If it can't do this, then it's an obsolete product that has been purposefully designed with this defect (Faroudja has aspect ratio on other scalers...just not this one...)

-dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.