AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[I originally posted this in thebigpicture.com Sanyo LCD forum, but perhaps someone here could offer some advice.]

I purchased a PLV-60HT recently, and I have problems with ghosting and vertical line structure. I suspect these maybe separate problems, but I'm not sure. The ghosting is readily apparent from the windows desktop, there are ghosts of the mouse and the windows icons ~20 pixels over. The vertical line structure is again clear on the desktop, and is mainly on the left half of the screen. If I set the projector in reversed mode, they appear on the right half, so it must be not be related to the LCD. The line structure also appears on DVD's during bright sections. If I darken the background (for example close to the dark blue the Sanyo shows on powerup), both ghosting and the vertical lines disappear.

My first hypothesis was that it was the cable, I'm using a 40ft bettercables.com vga cable. I switched to a high quality 3ft vga cable, and the ghosting is indeed reduced but still visible. There was no change to the vertical line structure.

I'm driving the projector from an HTPC (Radeon LE video card) at 1360x768, I use the following powerstrip timings

(71.93 Hz)

1360x768=1360,104,144,216,768,129,3,160,139071,336

(59.94 Hz)

1360x768=1360,104,144,216,768,129,3,160,115892,336

(If you are going to use these, remember to adjust total dots, etc. on the projector.) The problems seem to be independent of refresh rate.

I also tried a second PC to elminate the computer as a variable (TNT2 video card), and the problem is the same.

Everything is powered from the same UPS and there are no ground loops.

I haven't tried any other inputs besides the vga port.

Any thoughts appreciated, otherwise it's going back to Sanyo.

Ciamac.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If it's not the cable, video card, PC then I have no idea. You're not using a VGA splitter or switch box are you? Ringing sure sounds like a bad connection of cable, VGA port, or something similar. Definitely check Svideo and Composite sources to confirm. If it's there in Svideo and composite then you better call tech. support as your expensive PJ is screwed :-( The fact that the shorter cabling improved image suggests that cabling is the problem. May be the VGA connector on PJ is bad or loose? May be one of the pin inside is loose? Try putting a magnet on the VGA cable near the PJ end to see if it'll clear up the ringing as this can reduce interference. Good luck and keep us informed of the solution.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
If it's not the cable, video card, PC then I have no idea. You're not using a VGA splitter or switch box are you? Ringing sure sounds like a bad connection of cable, VGA port, or something similar.
I agree with you as far as the ghosting. (The vertical lines, though, I think are an electronic problem in the projector.) Is it unreasonable to expect 0 ghosting on an lcd projector? Even over only a 3 foot run?

I don't have any splitters or switches in the path, I'll try your other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
(The vertical lines, though, I think are an electronic problem in the projector.)
Take the UPS out of the equation and start minimizing possible causes. It could be the projector, BUT??? Where is the projector mounted? check the paths for all your cables. How good is your VGA cable? Start swapping out cables (thats the easiest place to start).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You should have NO ghosting on LCD or DLP. There is something wrong here; I'm just not sure what. May be you can take PJ to a different room with laptop and see if problem persists in case it's interference from something int that room. I'm stumped. You probably should call tech. support as this is not normal for a quality projector like PLV-60

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar problem on a Sony, but it only happended once. I disconnected everything and then reconnected and all was fine again. Sounds like you've tried everything, so it's probably the projector itself. If you borrow another LCD etc. projector and it looks fine, then that is proof of a bad PLV-60. It happens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I recently connected a 35 ft GEPCO SVGA->5BNC breakout cable to my Cinema 13HD and noticed the same thing. At first, I assumed it was the cable, but I have a Sony 21" monitor with 5BNC inputs, so I connected the same cable to that monitor and did not see any ghosting. The cable is perfect.

So, did you ever resolve this issue? Did you receive a replacement unit? I'm going to check the input impedance on the BNC connectors this evening, but I'm sure any personal modifications would void the warrantee.

It is clearly an input problem (not an LCD problem or digital) because adjusting the FINE SYNC causes the ghosting to become more and less significant (though still noticeable). This makes sense since the ringing waveform is sampled by the input stage ADCs. Depending on where the sampling point is, the ringing can be significant or not so much.

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by janovetz
So, did you ever resolve this issue? Did you receive a replacement unit? I'm going to check the input impedance on the BNC connectors this evening, but I'm sure any personal modifications would void the warrantee.
I haven't solved the problem. I thought it might be the input, so I switched to a BNC cable, but the ringing is still there. My fine sync is adjusted perfectly, based on a 1 pixel black/white pattern.

I'm going to send it back to Sanyo as soon as I get a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.