AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the issues many folks have with 'bulb' projectors is the limited contrast, inherent in the basic design. Well, a whole cottage industry has sprung up to correct this - gray screens, neutral density filters, elaborate calibration software, and for the most part, the contrast ratio is equal to, if not better, than what we see at the local Octaplex.

As an owner of the Boxlight 20HD, I feel that Sanyo has done a very good job of getting decent 'blacks' from an LCD projector. But there is a tradeoff and it manifests itself as black crush - lack of details in dark areas. If you jack up the black level to compensate, kiss inky blacks goodbye. And the gamma control in the user menu is too broad an adjustment to correct this.

But, lucky me. I've got a Sony 9000ES DVD player. And what's special about it is the built-in gamma equalizer control. Like a graphic equalizer for a sound system, the Sony allows you to boost/cut brightness levels at different IREs.

When I first got the 9000ES, I tried to correct the white crush on my Mits RPTV, but found that to be an exercise in futility (white crush seems to be endemic on RP sets - the Pioneers are just awful!). But, now with the 20HD, it's a snap to correct the black crush with the Sony. In the picture below, you will see the equalizer control (I've got AVIA in the background). I'm able to boost the lowest slider up (default is 32) to 40, and the 10 IRE pattern is visable without raising the 0 IRE black level:
http://jmikef.com/images/gamma_set.jpg

OK JMike, this is all well and good if one has a Sony 9000ES player. Yeah, and unfortunately, there is no such control in the service menu of thew 20HD/PLV-70. But I believe that there are other DVD players that might have a similar control (Denon?), or one might look for an outboard gamma equalizer (is there such a thing?).

The bottom line - I can have my inky black with less crush. Cool!

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
That gamma EQ is nice. It should be built into every projector!!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
It look's good Mike and unique how you got there.

I'm not sure but the higher IRE on the right side look's cool and greenish. Is that what your seeing in reality ? Our favorite problem or just the digi cam ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.