AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the PLV-70 clone, SE20HD. I have the Bravo D1 player hooked up via DVI. If I add a STB that has DVI and use a switcher to go back and forth between the two do you think I'll have a better picture than going through the components? I know its better to go that way with the Bravo, just not sure how much of a difference it would be with STB. Would the settings on the projector be any different?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Yes the HD picture will be better.

I have seen the difference between DVI and component on my dad's XBR sony 60" LCD RPTV (which for all practical purposes is an HS20 in a box with a 60" screen), and his 63 year old eyes could easily see the difference. This is on hidef. On SD TV, there will likely be neglible benefit.

I will say the difference on his was less than the difference on saw on my 20HD when I hooked the bravo up to it, compared to my old DVD deck, though.

Also, somewhere down the road here, your STB may begin applying HDCP to its DVI output and then your PJ will no longer receive it. So I wouldn't spend big bucks on a switch.

BB

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't think the HD20 take 1080i via DVI so you'll need to make sure your STB is set to 720p.

Which is a bummer becuase I perfer the job my HD20 does at processing the signal over that of the cable box.

Either way it looks spectacular. I have a 30' run of bluejeanscable componet to my HD20 as well as a bettercable DVI and video on both rock. If you walk up to the screen you can see a bit of noise in the analog connection that is not there with the DVI, but at the seated position it;s awesome.

Alos, since the HD20 lack HDCP you will run into issues with your STB in the event that HDCP is enabled on it.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I don't think the HD20 take 1080i via DVI so you'll need to make sure your STB is set to 720p.

Yep, it will take 1080i.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Jimmy, Dawn, myself, Gordon Groff, AndrePacPal, JHouse, and probably ten others I can't think of at the moment have fed the 20HD/70 1080i from a Bravo D1 and it worked fine.

BB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.