AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying one of these projectors, however nobody in my area sells them, so I need to buy mail order or on the internet. Does anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area have one of these that I could check out the picture on? I'd like to really see one before I purchase.

Thanks,

mikebaby

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to drive to Southern MI, PM me. I bought mine sight unseen in November. Do not regret it. Would buy another in a second! Never fails to get a "WOW" from anyone who watches it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I bought mine unseen. Something I don't normally do, with all the talk here from fellow enthuiast it made me buy the plv70. It is a great picture you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My room is 14x19 roughly with a 92" ceiling hight. Do you think this would be a large enough room for both projector ventilation, and projection/viewing for a 109" 16x9 screen? What screens did you all choose? I'm considering the high contrast da mat. It has a 0.8 gain on it.

thanks,

mikebaby

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I use a mat white 8 ft. wide screen. about16.5 feet throw and 2 feet for ventaltion. That distance should fill 109 screen, since i can make it larger then my screen. Go to this link and click on projector. cal. pounch in your dimensions:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/

·
Registered
71 Posts
mikebaby:

I live in Dornoch and I am also considering this projector. I have it down to this and the Infocus 7200, which we can view at Absolute Theater in Powell. I am trying to weigh the cost savings vs. the ability to view it before I purchase. I am still a few months away from a definite decision (need everything done by the opener against Washington), but I would love to find out what you decide. If you do go with the PLV-70, I would be eternally grateful if you would be willing to let me check it out sometime.

By the way, have you been over to the dealer at Easton yet (Genesis I think?)? I have heard good things, but I haven't been over there.

Small world.

Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

I know they are not the same projector, but from what I understand from reading here, the Sony (12ht?) and the PLV-70 have very similar if not identical optics and picture quality.

You can view the Sony at Stereovision on Bethel Rd. I am no videophile, but I thought the picture looked great. The only issue I had was its relatively weak light output, which the Sanyo obviously doesn't suffer from. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fatso:

I did see the Toshiba over at Absolute Theater. It had a pretty picture, and I generally liked the people that work there, they seem to be a class act. I did however have some eye fatigue from watching about 15 minutes of Star Wars Episode II. I did not have any eye fatigue from watching about 25 minutes of The 5th Element on the Marantz SP2 at another local dealer. As of right now I'm going to get the Sanyo/Boxlight. If the Sony 12HT comes down in price under $4k I will probably go with that projector, but for the same price, the Sanyo wins my money hands down. When I do get it, I would be happy to let you check it out for yourself. I have not been to the Easton store yet.

Where is Dornoch?

mikebaby

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dornoch is the golf course that you can see just east of 23 as you are heading toward Delaware. Maybe 3 miles from Lewis Center - right behind where the Kingman drive in used to be off of Cheshire. It would be to compare notes once my install is finished.

Rob

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hey guys,

Nice to see so many people in the Lewis Center area. Here is a rundown of the projector demos I have found.

Stereovisions on Bethel--Sony 12HT

Center Stage (across from Stereovisions, next to Microcenter)--Sony HS10. This is a very bad demo. Not in a theater room and no light control.

Absolute Theater--Haven't been there for awhile but they had a Sharp 9000 and an Infocus projector.

Genesis Audio--Sold their Sharp 9000 and were waiting for a 10000. Have a nice CRT demo and several Runco digitals. Had a Dwin TV3 from a dealer rep but I don't know if they kept it.

Great Indoors (Polaris Mall)--Had a Dwin TV2 that was supposed to be replaced by a Dwin TV3 last month. Haven't been there to check yet.

Progressive Audio (near OSU campus)--very high end store. Last time I was there they only had Runco digitals.

These are the major stores I recent on a semi-regular basis.

Mike, where did you see the Marantz?

I wish I could help with your decision but I have a NEC XG CRT projector in my theater.

Gary

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw the Marantz SP2 at Audio Encounters in Dublin. Beautiful projecter. Where in Lewis Center are you?

mike

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikebaby
My room is 14x19 roughly with a 92" ceiling hight. Do you think this would be a large enough room for both projector ventilation, and projection/viewing for a 109" 16x9 screen? What screens did you all choose? I'm considering the high contrast da mat. It has a 0.8 gain on it.

thanks,

mikebaby
I've got my PLV-70 in a 19' x 11.5' room with 7.25' ceiling onto a 106" diag screen. Yes, you've got enough room! You'll need to mount it about 15-16' from the screen (get precise range from vendor or distance calculator). Yes a .8 gain high contrast screen is perfect! You've got brighness to burn and contrast/blacks will be great!!

I bought mine sight-unseen too. Don't regret it!

Gordon

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Absolute has the Infocus 7200 and Great Indoors still has the Dwin TV2 (they want $25,000 out of it!)

You're welcome to visit and see my setup - Hitachi 5500 - I'm very happy with it.

Randy

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to check it out. Where in Westerville are you?

Mike

Rob/Fatso: I'd like to check your setup out as well if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikebaby
I saw the Marantz SP2 at Audio Encounters in Dublin. Beautiful projecter. Where in Lewis Center are you?

mike
I live right near Polaris in the Oak Creek subdivision.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
[snip]

Center Stage (across from Stereovisions, next to Microcenter)--Sony HS10. This is a very bad demo. Not in a theater room and no light control.

[snip]

Gary
When I was there a couple of weeks ago they had added the Toshiba as well. Although the thing had not been properly calibrated and was in a harsh environment it did look to be quite good.

-J.R.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is good to see all the Buckeyes on the board! Here I thought I was going this alone.

I would definitely enjoy a round-robin type of tour, and I would be happy to host you guys once my modest basement set-up is complete. I am mudding and sanding the drywall this weekend (not excited). I am still probably 3 months away from completion.

My e-mail address is [email protected] . I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would love to hear all of your experiences with the local shops, what kind of rooms you are building, equipment choices, etc. I am working on converting half my basement (around 650 sf) into a multi-purpose room with a pool table and a front projection system. I am brand new to the whole A/V world, so my whole system is going up from scratch.

This forum has been invaluable in my progress thus far, and I am jazzed about all the locals who have chimed in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.