AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. I just got the plv-70 (well its sort of a "loaner" until February), but I am probably going to get one for myself. In the interest of economy, I put together RG-6u cables to use as component in. I hooked it this afternoon for the first time and started watching everyone's favorite reason to get this projector-- LOTR. I watched about 5 minutes, then turned it off.

This evening, no love. I am still using input 2 - Y Cb Cr (I put BNC connectors on the cables) but the projector is now not getting a signal. I hooked up a second DVD player, still zilch. Now i know i should get back up on the ladder and bring it down , and start playing with cables, but I was hoping someone could tell me what the obvious, stupid thing I am missing was. And I don't think that all three cables would have gone bad on me, simultaneously, without some sort of major event I would have noticed.

On a related topic, I have it on a shelf, inverted, about 8.5 feet off the ground. According to the manualy I should be able to get the lens shift to move the top of the picture down about 8" inches below the center line of the lens (1:6 ratio, assuming a 48: high screen). However, I am not able to shift it down this far. Yes, I set it in ceiling mode :) Am I misreading the manual, or making another stupid mistake?

Finally, to get S-video to it I was going to get a splitter and run a 50 ft cable. I actually could live with 35, but it seems the standard length is 50. I know that this is a long run for S-video and was wondering if any of you member of the 70/20 mafia had already gone down this path

Jimmy and Dawn, thanks so much for helping out people with this projector. And, of course, the author of the canonical 70/20 thread, I'm sorry that your name escapes me right now, it must be the turkey and gravy intefering with my normally mediocre memory.

Fianlly, to Alan and the good folks at AVS, thanks for the great site.

And a happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

-glenn

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Hi Glen and Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to you. :)

I'll make it short and take a guess. When you changed to whatever you changed maybe you lost track of the "green sync" cable. Be sure your cables are labeled on both end's for color Identification and try again. Double check your menu setting also for input 2.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Have you found the trouble yet?

When we switch the DVD player from interlaced to non-interlaced, with it running, it hates it and turns everything red. Freaked me out at first. Then we turn off the DVD player, turn it on again, and everything is okay. And yes to input 2 recheck. We've done that one, also.

Good luck! Keep us informed. Oh, when you invert and don't tell the projector, all that happens is that you get an upside down picture... and telling it to invert doesn't switch the lens shift control... so down is up and up is down...

And Gary saw a Sharp LCD projector at our local shop today. He said he now knows what screendoor is. "When I was a comfortable distance away from the screen, it was like looking out a screen door. It wasn't very good at all."

"So, you think ours is better?"

"My goodness, yes. Tremendously better. I don't even see it on ours."

We also had a friend here who sat 1/2 X screenwidth away from the picture. After the movie I ask her, "So, did the grid bother you?" "What grid? Oh - I could only see it when I leaned over the arm of the couch (that's about 3 feet away) then I could see it a bit." "Really? It didn't bother you that close?" "Bother me? No. I didn't see it."

So, I sure hope you get that projector going! I know - it is because you didn't let it run all of LOTR and it is pouting...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.