AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what others are using for their screen size and type of material? Would a 133" diagonal be too large or would it exacerbate the screen-door pixeling?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
At what viewing distance?

I have a 120" DaLite High Power, sit at 11.5'. If you are at 15' or more, 133" would be OK IMO. Brightness will not be a problem.

BB

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've got a 106" diag DaLite High Contrast Da Mat (a grey screen). You just need to sit approx 1.5x the screen width away and screen door should not be any issue....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brandon -

Of course - more data is needed before the equation can be completed. I hadn't quite finished my first cup of coffee when I wrote the above. Headimus Rectumus.

How would a 133" image look if viewed from 10' - 12'? You're thoughts about a minimum of 15' tend to lead me to believe this might be too close. Again, my question revolves around screen-door visability.

Thanks,

Andre'

·
Registered
958 Posts
My limited experience is that the DaLite High Power yields a great image with this PJ. Much better than DaLite High Contrast Matte White, which is the only other one I've had a chace to directly compare to w/calibration.

Gordon

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
That's my seating range. And by my standards, with my 120" I am right at the ragged edge of acceptibility. I happen to place a really high priority on in-your-face immersion, so went as big and close as I could stand.

I really think that is too close for a 133" screen for all but the most easily pleased people.

BB

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Kids, including mine, fall into that last group I mentioned. Mine insists on doing shadow puppets.

Acually, I'd give Andre the usual advice. Get yuor PJ first and try it on something temporary. Having the image right there in your room makes it much easier to decide on screen size.

And if you are happy with a 133" image at 12', then I am jealous. I would LOVE to go a little bigger on my screen. But I really think few (not none) people would overlook the "warts" at that range.

BB

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've got a 110" (diagonal) Grayhawk and sit 15' away! The picture is SMOOTH. Screendoor is non-existent.

10'-12' from a 133" screen sounds WAYYY too close!!!

But IF you still insist on sitting that close, perhaps an IMX Image Processor would help you to eliminate the screendoor at that distance. Check out the link.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The opinions are overwhelmingly in favor of NOT going 133" diagonal at 10' - 12'. I played around more tonite with the projector and a white sheet and I concede to the masses. I will get a 119" diag. instead.

I truely thank all for their input, comments and inspiration. I guess deep down I just wanted to be like JimmyR's kids! Bigger is better!?!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Go with the bigger screen for those 2.35 ratio movies such as LOTR. You won't regret it. Our curtains work wonderfully well to mask out the proper screen area. And our prime seat is back 1.33 X screen width... with the Parkland, the screen door isn't an issue, I have no vertical banding, and the DVI player took away the fast horizontal lines I was beginning to detect when images moved quickly in a vertical motion. Gone. They are gone. Don't even think about them any more, and I was just beginning to realize I "might" have just seen "something"... oh, it was gone again. But I don't even see THAT any more.

As I was going up the stair,

I met a man who wasn't there,

He wasn't there again today,

Oh how I wish he'd go away!

Sorry, I don't know the author of this well-known poem. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a DIY 110" 16:9 screen, row seating at 11' and 14' and two 'free popcorn' seats at the sides at 8'from the screen. Strangely, there are two people from my regular screenings that go straight for the close seats every time!

I have been experimenting with various materials on the screen this last month testing white and gray vinyl materials of different gains. Right now I have gray vinyl pond liner with an approximate gain of 0.6 based on my photo meters. I like the deep blacks it gives at night and good viewablilty in daylight. My theater suffers from 150 sq feet of window and two skylights, so you can imagine the amount of ambient light I have to deal with!

After auditioning many filmscreens here in L.A., I ordered a 110" 16:9 Firehawk from AVScience, yesterday. They really sell them quite inexpensively!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You're welcome to "swing" up to Santa Clarita and see the highpower if you want. I have the same light control issues you do. PM me if you want to.

BB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.