AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of stuff about DLP vs. LCD technology. I own a PLV-70 that produces what I believe to be a stunning image, but I do not have anything to compare it to. As a relative newbie (first HT), I admit to not really having much experience-driven perspective.

None of the shootouts I've noticed have had a PLV-70 (or other LCD) in the mix. I personally feel that this unit trumps most of the LCD technology out there, but whatta I know? :)

If anyone in a drivable distance has a setup with a newer "good" DLP unit, I would be happy to bring my PJ over, with component splitter cables to do a head-to-head comparison. Infocus 7200 class or higher DLP preferred. Conversely, if you wanted to come over to my place with your PJ, that would be GREAT!

I'm not trying to stir any debates about what's better. I just want to see it with my own eyes, along with anyone else who can come by to hopefully coroborate the results.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Great suggestion Gordon. Let's hope SOMEBODY answers your call!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The best HD2 to compare it to would be the the SP7200 because it is the only one even close to the PLV70 in brightness. Both of these PJs are best on large grey screens.

If you want to see one of the dimmer HD2's at its best, you would use a smaller screen and a different type of screen than the one that would make the PLV70 look its best.

My own impression from comparing these two PJs:

The PQ from the SP7200 is at least equal to the PLV70 in all respects, but the SP7200 has darker blacks, shows greater shadow detail/color. and reduced screen door effect allows you to sit closer before you see screen door. View scenes like the night/alley scenes from Spiderman to see the difference. If you use bright material, like Monsters Inc, you won't see much difference, except the PLV70 will be brighter, and you might prefer that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey Gordon, if something is set up for such a shootout, please PM me about it. I would love to see this as well being a fellow plv-70/20HD owner. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Both of these PJs are best on large grey screens."

I keep hearing this, but I've seen with my own eyes that the DaLite High Power (3gain) yields a superior image over the DaLite High Contrast Matte White (gray) screen. My family saw the same improvement and other PLV-70/High Power owners have posted the same findings.

This is one reason I want to do a direct compare rather than rehash whatever the expectations may be. My experience with the HP/HCMW has me questioning a lot of expert conventional wisdom.

BTW, Part of this would be to do an AVIA brightness/contrast setup on both PJ's for whatever screen we end up doing it on.

Gordon

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, another thing to mention.

I did take my PLV-70 to a dealer who was trying to upgrade me into an Infocus 7200 DLP PJ. Mine KILLED it!! I mean, it was no contest. The image seemed dull and wahed out in comparison. Detail was just as well defined in both. This is not just Gordon speaking. My wife felt strongly the same way, and she's not really into this stuff. All the sales guys at the store agreed. Not that they said anything, they stopped saying ANYTHING! Up to that point the sales patter was continuous. After the shootout, silence. When's the last time you heard a salesman go quiet? This was on a grayhawk screen and was the first time I thought my PJ looked GOOD. Right after this experience I upgraded to the High Power and a DVI signal and got it as good as I saw there.

From all the reports on how good the H2-based DLP's are supposed to be, and how much better a technology DLP was supposed to be over LCD, I figure it must have been a fluke, so I have not been crowing about it too much. I'd like to do it again. I also feel it is very difficult for visual memory to allow a good comparison unless they are both happening at the same time, under the same conditions. Thus this thread.

I'm not really challenging your observations, Glenned. Hope it does not come off that way. I'm simply saying that I've seen some things that don't line up and want to get to the root of it if I can.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I owned the PLV-70, then the Marantz S2. The Marantz is clearly the superior projector, but costs a lot more. The contrast, black level, and overall 3dness of the image are superior. Also, no light leakage, almost no noise from the pj etc make it better for my coffee table setup.

However, the PLV-70 is great bang for the buck, especially at 4k and can be used in the daylight for football/HD which i missed. All but the Infocus HD2 wise be prepared to blockout ambient from your room in order to look decent.

Next up for me, LCOS....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may have a point about ambient light, KeithR! I don't remember it being very bright at the dealership we were at, but perhaps the ambient light washed out the IF7200 compared to the PLV-70. We'll add varying ambient light and total blackout (if possible) to our shootout. Cool!

Gordon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let get this going! I am sure somone (maybe a dealer) has already had the chance to see them side by side. If the difference in constrast and picture quality is minimal then it would definitely be better to go with the PLV70 because of brightness and price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the way, I can't seem to be able to demo either one of these units in the South Florida area. Can anyone point me to a place that has these on display?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems to me that if we can determine that the picture quality and the black levels are close to each other for these projectors then I would personally go with the PLV-70 because of its higher light output, motorized lens shift and lower price. Can anyone else that has compared these projectors give their 2 cents?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR
Is the Sanyo really THAT great ? Holy Cow !!

No more waiting ...., I'll buy two more bulbs.
Wassup, JimmyR? You've been my inspiration! Are you losing faith?

Gordon

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Heck no :) It wouldn't take much thought for me to buy another one today Gordon.

I've seen allot of the mentioned projector's and it's not a contest. The SX21 is the only exception and that's still a close call with the Sanyo. I'll make a move when the CR's go over 10,000:1.

Maybe that's not to far off. :)

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
pilder1000.........

What in my post gives you thoughts I'm "kidding around" ( :) ? your name goes here ) ?

I only kid around when I don't know what I'm talking about or a question is beyond my limited abilities and/or experience.

Baa Baa...itch no more..Get the Sanyo and a >100" HiPower.....

Ps: I have no clue what "better" is, no one here does, most of the current crop is very good ...just different in many ways.

Please be aware as a new member that "AVS" (your host) will take very good care of your projector and screen needs not to mention your pocket book..

·
Registered
42 Posts
JimmyR

I thought you were kidding because:

1) No contest (I thought if anything the 7200 would win because it iis DLP vs LCD) I guess I still have a lot to learn but it is very difficult since I can't even find a place in South Florida that has projectors on display.

2) Contrast ratio of 1000:1 = I think that after 5000:1 it won't even matter anymore.

What do you think about a firehawk or silverstar screen with the PLV70 versus the high power screen?

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Groff
Oh, another thing to mention.

I'm not really challenging your observations, Glenned. Hope it does not come off that way. I'm simply saying that I've seen some things that don't line up and want to get to the root of it if I can.

Gordon
I appreciate your observations and opinions, even if they might differ from my own. We all have limited opportunities to test out the various screens and PJs. It puts all of us at a dissadvantage when discussing these comparisons.

I'm sure that I would have seen the same thing that you saw, if I had been at the demo that you were at. However, we might have been able to change something there in terms of screen size/type, light control, calibration, or type of video material being viewed which would have yeilded different results. Which is, of course, why you want to do a more in depth comparison.

IMO, the PLV70 has very high PQ. It has a brightness advantage over the SP7200, and under certain circumstances I would expect it to look better than the SP7200. The SP7200 has some advantages over the PLV70 too, and under a different set of circumstances, I would expect it to look better than the PLV70.

In addition, there are different aspects to PQ. No PJ is "the best" in all of them. So which PJ is the best for you, is largely influenced by which aspects of PQ are more important to you than the others. You then would tend to prefer the PJ that excells in those aspects. So, personal taste is a significant factor here also. Even though we might agree as to the relative strengths and weaknesses of these two particualar PJs as compard to each other, we might each prefer our own at the end of the day.

The question shouldn't be which PJ is the best, as much as which PJ is the best for my particular HT and personal tastes.

I have not had an opportunity to see the High Power screen. I would like too. Nor have I seen the HCCV. So I can't comment on them. I have seen the SP7200 on a variety of white screens, the Silverstar, and the Firehawk. I prefer the Firehawk, hands down, for the SP7200.

It is too bad I am not in your area. I would have been eager to bring my SP7200 over and compare notes with you. However, I trust that I will at least get to read your comparison, when someone else brings their's over.

Good Hunting,

Glenn

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pilder1000
JimmyR

I thought you were kidding because:

1) No contest (I thought if anything the 7200 would win because it iis DLP vs LCD)
As someone who's about to buy a PLV-70 - have been for months now - I'd like to offer up my opinion. I've been to Gordon's and his pic blew me away. The screendoor, what there is, can be eliminated with an IMX Image Processor - it's a fancy lens - which is more than anyone can say about motion artifacts in a DLP. Even if the owner doesn't see it, that doesn't mean guests won't. Why take the chance of giving one's guests headaches? Go PLV-70 and the $700 lens; it's still cheaper today than the PLV-70 was just a year ago.

Just my $.02.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.