AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying this projector and found great prices from two sources. so price is not of concern between the two. Is there any other thing to consider when decideing between the two of these? any differences?

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They also tell me the 1HD units are made in smaller batches with tighter quality control.

A while back there was a thread inquiring about dead pixels on the 1hd's vs the Z1. As I recall no one could find any dead pixels on any of the 1HD units (mine included) and most could find at least a few on the Z1s.

1HD has a better warrenty, and service, as well. I paid a little bit more for the 1HD for this reason. If you have them at the same price, I think the choice is obvious.

Good Luck!

-Jason W

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input people. I ended up getting the HD1 for 1129.00 out the door w/ free shipping.

the store said they will open the unit once to check for dead pixles before mailing it so there is not apossiblity of me getting it and have to swap it again later if i do find dead pixles. is that normal?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi ya,

yeah, i had alrady purchesed my HD1 from . I orded it over the phone with Andy on a thursday. seemed nice, but one thing i didnt like was that at the time of ordering he said he had them in stock and will ship it the next day. he said they will open it and check for any dead pixles. i said thats fine. but what i eventually found out is that they didnt have them and the projector was being sent directly from studio experience. It didnt leave till monday and i got it thursday. again, its not so bad, but just didnt like the change of words. he could have just told me the truth. what confirmed my trust in ordering from them was that i called studio experience my self before hand and made sure projectorshopper was a authorized dealer. they said they were and would honor warranties from them.

im very glad i got the studio experince model rather then sanyo. i can speak to a real person so easy over there. much more personal service. and im very glad having a extra month on the blub.

now im really enjoying my projector. i just orded digital video essentials so i have some help adjusting it. my only grip now is i dont have a real screen yet. Im projecting onto a sheet that i nailed to a wood frame i made. but what happens is the white in scenes go thru the sheet and reflect off the wall behind it and make them even brighter. too bright! i tried putting newpaper behind it. helped a tad. i need a matterial where it doesnt go thru so i dont have the relected light bonaza happening behind it. the worst was watching Ice Age. ugh, snow = white white white. i hope a model B dalite is good enough and can take care of this. otherwise, the image is so great, no screen door. just so great.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered a 1HD from projectorshopper too. Placed order last friday night over the internet and it shipped monday evening. It got here fri from WA (studio experience) via ups 3 days early and I was promptly emailed tracking number and invoice. No complaints here. Anyway busy getting my mount finished and wiring done, but I did make my 100" blackout cloth screen and it looks great.

Incidently this week I also found a copy of the service manual for my Hitachi 60" RPTV online and was able to reconverge and fix it after it has been out of commission the last 2 yrs or so (it has the manual knob adjustments, no digital); so it has been a good tv week for me :D I've been waiting for 3 years to get a projection system and it feels so good to finally have it all come together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the same excellent service from Andrew at projectorshopper.com. Shipped very quickly and always accessible via email. Now...I'm just waiting for my screen to get here so I can test out my newest toy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hope this is not considered off topic but i replaced my sheet screen with a do-able sheet from home depot. looks fantastic :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
what is a do-able screen?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a vaneir type of sheet in a 8x4 foot size in the modling/lumbar section of home depot. its a matte white, easily cutable. thin enough to roll up into a circle to fit in your car. its can hold itself up tho and you need to hang it or made a frame with some wook. but works great. light form the projector wont penetrate it and mess up the image. also i saw in under another company. so if they cant find do-able, just describe it. a guy in molding/lumbar can find it, he did for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
orbitalpunk,

I built my own screen... geez, going on 2 years ago... to use with my Sharp Z9000 and it still looks good (just finally added a matte around it). I also did a wood frame screwed to the wall with a white fabric over it (a random choice from the fabric store that worked out well). What I did to avoid the light issue was to put a layer of black fabric directly behind the white (pseudo light-gray screen), which absorbs any light that would otherwise provide 'back-lighting'. :)

I was originally looking at using whatever types of materials until I realized I couldn't hit the 105"x59"ish size I wanted in a single piece of most anything else.

I'm now looking to add a 1/4HD model to the bedroom (thus checking out the forums again - and yes, I happen to have the world's greatest wife!), so I'll have to see what we end up doing there. The basement turned out pretty well, though, so I'd probably consider just doing that again.

Did the veneer you got come in white already? Could be something to look at...

-Step

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.